Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#544996 - 05/09/06 01:00 PM Licensed Bank Employees
JW Offline
Gold Star
Indiana
We are looking at having our new accounts reps get licensed to sell investment products and insurance. Can someone help me by giving me a starting point with what I need to consider from a compliance standpoint?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#544997 - 05/09/06 09:01 PM Re: Licensed Bank Employees
FraudBuster Offline
100 Club
Indiana
This isn't really my area, so take it with a grain of salt, but I thought you couldn't mix personnel for deposit and nondeposit products, because of the danger of confusing customers about FDIC insurance. If I'm right, licensing doesn't come into it; the same person cannot do both.

Return to Top
#544998 - 05/09/06 09:03 PM Re: Licensed Bank Employees
kw@fnb Offline
100 Club
Beatrice, NE
Non-deposit sales must be kept separate. They even must be physically separated from FDIC insured products. Brochures are not even supposed to be next to each other.

Return to Top
#544999 - 05/10/06 11:09 AM Re: Licensed Bank Employees
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Return to Top
#545000 - 05/10/06 04:09 PM Re: Licensed Bank Employees
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Your state may have input on this as well.

In Texas, as a Banking Center Manager - who did new accounts and loans, I was also licensed (Series 7) for insurance sales, which allowed me to sell fized annuities.

Return to Top
#545001 - 05/10/06 08:36 PM Re: Licensed Bank Employees
New to Compliance Offline
Tucson, AZ
At a former institution I worked for, we sold investments and were licensed plus with sold the normal products that the institution had from the same desk. While we were discussing investments that were not insured, we had to place a sign on our desk stating the normal, no guarantee, not insured, may lose value and remove our NCUA sign. Then when we were no longer speaking about investments, we would remove one sign and put up the NCUA sign. It worked pretty well.

Return to Top