Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#545269 - 05/09/06 04:49 PM Do you know who I am?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I don't know how much truth there is to this story, but it's a good story!

The radio station America FM was doing one of their "Is anyone listening" bits this morning.

This first one was, "Ever have a celebrity pull up with the "Do you know who I am?"' routine.

A woman called in and said that a few years back, while visiting her cattle rancher uncle in Billings, MT., they had occasion to go to dinner at a restaurant that does not take reservations. The waiting time was about 45 minutes. Lots of other rancher types and their spouses were already waiting.

In comes Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. They wanted a table. The hostess says they'll have to wait about 45 minutes. Jane Fonda asks the hostess if she knows who she is. "Yes, but you'll still have to wait 45 minutes." Then Jane says, "Is the manager in?" The manager comes out, "May I help you?" "Do you know who I am?" asks both Jane and Ted.

The manager replied; "Yes, but these folks have all been waiting already and I can't put you in ahead of them".

Then Ted asks to speak to the owner. The owner comes out Jane again asks, "Do you know who I am?" The owner says, "Yes, I do. Do you know who I am?
I am the owner of this restaurant and a Vietnam Veteran. Not only will you not get a table ahead of all of my friends and neighbors here, but you also will not be eating in my restaurant tonight or any other night. Good bye."

Only in America! What a great country! To all who received this e-mail. This is a true story and the name of the steak house is:

Sir Scott's Oasis Steakhouse
204 W. Main
MANHATTAN, MT 59741
(406)284-6929

If you ever get there, give this man a sharp salute, buy a steak, and tip the waitress!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#545270 - 05/09/06 04:54 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I LOVE IT!! That is great. I wish I lived closer so I could go eat there and shake his hand.

Return to Top
#545271 - 05/09/06 04:55 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Too funny. I don't think I would handle it well if a celebrity asked me that question. Do you know who I am? Gimme a break! I think I'd have to say "Yeah, you're that washed up, one hit wonder aren't you?"

Return to Top
#545272 - 05/09/06 04:55 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We actually have a customer who is a famous movie/television actor. We treat him like the average joe and he seems to appreciate that. We had another customer one day come in and get excited when he saw this actor in the bank, and he made such a fuss over him. The actor was very polite to this customer. As this is happening, another customer walks in and sees the fuss the other customer is making, and comments "No, that is not (so & so)". The actor says, yes, I am. She insists he is not and literally ticks him off. He got so mad he just walked out the door. We told the customer that it was this famous actor and she was totally embarrassed. We all had to laugh about it though.

Return to Top
#545273 - 05/09/06 04:58 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
That's crazy if it's true. You know, I didn't know until maybe a couple years ago when I bartended for the American Legion here in town, that Jane Fonda was Hanoi Jane. And, it is her picture on the mens urinals.

Return to Top
#545274 - 05/09/06 05:01 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
the wvu football coach is like that..."do you know who i am?" yea, who cares???? he did that same little stunt at a local subway and cut line...the manager said she didn't care who he was, he could go to the back of the line or leave. good for her!!! he's a good coach, but a bit of an a$$.

Return to Top
#545275 - 05/09/06 05:05 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I used to work for Dominos, and we had a customer that played for the Chicago Bulls. He was not a starter, but definitely carried his weight. After they won their 6th championship, he called an ordered pizza. We told him it would be free if he came in and showed us the ring when he got it (he did). There was another time I delivered to him, and he paid by check - was a good tip, but it spelled it DominoEs. And there was another time he called, and my boss took the phone away from me to make fun of him for missing a dunk in a game.

Return to Top
#545276 - 05/09/06 05:11 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A nice story, but that's all it is, I'm afraid.

Snopes

Return to Top
#545277 - 05/09/06 05:20 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Well thanks Ted. As I said, I didn't know if there was any truth to it. Didn't have a chance to check it out on Snopes yet myself.

Return to Top
#545278 - 05/09/06 05:28 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regardless of how you feel, the Oasis, or Sir Scott's, or whatever you choose to call it, is the best steakhouse in America, several times better than those 'ranked/rated' steakhouses that pride themselves on the cost of a meal vs. the quality!!!!!

Go if you ever get the chance, and they do take reservations, you need them!!! The bar food is quite good too though, and doesn't require a reservation.

It is a good story, and has been circulating around Southwestern Montana for something over 10 years.

Not that it matters, but Ted Turner has a ranch about 50 miles south of the restaurant in question called the Flying D, and I believe it was on his purchase that the story began to circulate.

Return to Top
#545279 - 05/09/06 05:31 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Well thanks Ted. As I said, I didn't know if there was any truth to it. Didn't have a chance to check it out on Snopes yet myself.

Wait a minute. You had a chance to post it, but you didn't have a chance to check it out? I'm afraid the logic of that statement escapes me.

Return to Top
#545280 - 05/09/06 05:34 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I said in my first statement, I don't know how much truth there is to this. It was, however, an entertaining story.

Return to Top
#545281 - 05/09/06 05:37 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Wait a minute. You had a chance to post it, but you didn't have a chance to check it out? I'm afraid the logic of that statement escapes me.

he probably got it in an email or saw it on a conservative mouthpiece site and thought it was a good story.(ted turner and ted kennedy seem to have assumed the same status)

snopes was likely the last of his concerns; the first was transferring the information to BOL post haste!

Return to Top
#545282 - 05/09/06 05:41 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

I said in my first statement, I don't know how much truth there is to this. It was, however, an entertaining story.

But don't you consider it even slightly irresponsible to further a story whose sole entertainment value derives from a falsehood?

In the Internet era, everyone who posts on the Internet is a journalist of some sort. Shouldn't we at least try to adhere to some minimal level of journalistic integrity?

Return to Top
#545283 - 05/09/06 05:44 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Regardless of how you feel, the Oasis, or Sir Scott's, or whatever you choose to call it, is the best steakhouse in America, several times better than those 'ranked/rated' steakhouses that pride themselves on the cost of a meal vs. the quality!!!!!

Go if you ever get the chance, and they do take reservations, you need them!!! The bar food is quite good too though, and doesn't require a reservation.

It is a good story, and has been circulating around Southwestern Montana for something over 10 years.

Not that it matters, but Ted Turner has a ranch about 50 miles south of the restaurant in question called the Flying D, and I believe it was on his purchase that the story began to circulate.

Return to Top
#545284 - 05/09/06 05:50 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

I don't know how much truth there is to this story, but it's a good story!

Did all of you miss that statement in my original post???

Notice I didn't state that it was fact, kind like, Dan Rather.
Last edited by Bimmer; 05/09/06 06:01 PM.
Return to Top
#545285 - 05/09/06 06:15 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
The past couple of generations, mine included, have done a poor job of passing on knowledge of responsibility and integrity.

No, I didn't miss it. But does including that caveat forgive you of all responsibility? Why not take the one extra step and actually attempt to determine whether it is true or not before you post it, instead of saying "I don't know?"

Don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of Ted Turner and Jane Fonda. Growing up in a career military family, and serving myself in the Army during the Vietnam era, I have definite opinions on this that probably align with the supposed actions of the restaurant owner.

But I get so fed up with this type of garbage that I can't just let you off the hook because you said you didn't know. In my opinion it is irresponsible of you to post this and figure it's OK because you posted a statement saying you didn't know. I'm not saying you have to do enough research to satisfy a doctoral thesis. But in this day and age of internet access, why not make a quick check of Snopes. Or if nothing else, type the first sentence in Google. If it's not true, you'll learn that easy enough and can avoid posting it. See, here's the thing - I think you know that if you take the time to learn whether it's true, you would feel guilty about posting it if you knew it wasn't true. Can you see it now: "This is not true but I thought it was funny anyway..." By not taking the time, you can post it guilt free because you added the magic disclaimer.

As I said at the outset, you should take the time to at least attempt to learn first. That's called taking responsibility and ownership of what you post.

Return to Top
#545286 - 05/09/06 06:28 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

While I appreciate your intent.
Snopes isn't 100% credible either!!!
Ted Turner actually owns 3 ranches in Montana.

Return to Top
#545287 - 05/09/06 06:31 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

While I appreciate your intent.
Snopes isn't 100% credible either!!!
Ted Turner actually owns 3 ranches in Montana.

i don't see how the number of ranches he owns is relevant to snopes debunking the story.

Return to Top
#545288 - 05/09/06 06:34 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

why not take the one extra step and actually attempt to determine whether it is true or not before you post it, instead of saying "I don't know?"

As I said at the outset, you should take the time to at least attempt to learn first. That's called taking responsibility and ownership of what you post.

Wouldn't that be the same, attempt to report and substantiate the story accurately?

Return to Top
#545289 - 05/09/06 06:39 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do remember a year ago that a veteran spit in Jane's face at a book signing. Why did he do it? Because when he got off the plane when the war was over someone did it to him. Since Jane rallied Anti-War support and was seen posing in scandelous pictures with the NVA, she was the posterchild for the anti-war front. Basically, he felt like Jane spit in his face.

Return to Top
#545290 - 05/09/06 06:39 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Geez, people! Does every post have to turn into a debate? I believe it was meant to be a lighthearted post. Bimmer said she didn't know if it was true or not. The rest of us took it lightly .... so lighten up!

Return to Top
#545291 - 05/09/06 06:40 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Geez, people! Does every post have to turn into a debate? I believe it was meant to be a lighthearted post. Bimmer said she didn't know if it was true or not. The rest of us took it lightly .... so lighten up!

Bimmer is a male...

Return to Top
#545292 - 05/09/06 06:42 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I guess it's just my day to be irked about the mindless passing on of urban myth.

Return to Top
#545293 - 05/09/06 06:46 PM Re: Do you know who I am?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Bimmer is a male...

My bad! HE meant it to be lightheartd. Better?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5