Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#54702 - 01/16/03 01:33 AM References - OK to indicate SAR?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
It seems like I've seen some info on providing prospective employers with info on past employees involed in SAR. Did I make this up or can anyone offer any direction?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#54703 - 01/16/03 01:43 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
See Section 355 of the USA Patriot Act.

Return to Top
#54704 - 01/16/03 02:17 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
Thanks. I also found the info in an article by Mary Beth Guard here on bankersonline.

Return to Top
#54705 - 01/21/03 06:10 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
tressaj:

Here's yet another great reason to file a report with your local law enforcement agency -- particularly if the subject of the SAR is an employee. This type of report is a public record and will likely be accessible by prospective employers. When the prospective employer calls and requests reference information, you can tell him/her, "Please contact the Records Department of (name of agency here) and ask for a copy of its report number (your report number here)." It's a simple and inexpensive process.

Return to Top
#54706 - 01/24/03 11:32 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

SAR's are not public records. You can only report that an SAR has been filed to your Board of Directors and no one else. They may become public records if the law enforcement agencies use the information in the prosecution of someone, however that's unlikely. You need to visit with your BSA Officer for clarification.

Return to Top
#54707 - 01/27/03 12:18 AM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Excellent point. Doing criminal background checks may also provide some additional info if the person was convicted.

Return to Top
#54708 - 01/28/03 03:07 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Not to speak for Dana, but I don't think he's saying that a SAR is a public record. I believe he's saying that in addition to filing the SAR, you should also consider filing a police report regarding the crime with local law enforcement. That police report is a public record.

Return to Top
#54709 - 01/30/03 10:08 PM Re: References - OK to indicate SAR?
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Folks:

OK -- I really SHOULD have been more specific. Law enforcement reports (most versions, anyway) are public records -- unless they've been classified as confidential for some reason. SARs are NEVER public records and may not be referred to during background investigations.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry