Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#549299 - 05/16/06 09:17 PM job offer...need advice
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
i have a decision to make fast and i need help...i got offered a job at another bank.....more on the hour but the insurance is higher so i am looking at no more than a $50 - $100 increase per pay. there are tons of advancement opp's also and they would actually begin my cross training within 2 weeks for a higher position. i would be losing two weeks vacation a year, but the hours are also better. this bank has been after me for 2 years now...what would you do???

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#549300 - 05/16/06 09:21 PM Re: job offer...need advice
lawmansbabe Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I don't know you, but...

wow...sounds good...you need to look at the "big picture"...see where you want to be and what you want to be doing...if the new job fits, then take it!!

There is ALWAYS going to be good and bad in every job...you just have to decide what is good and bad for you, and what you can live with....

Good luck...

Return to Top
#549301 - 05/16/06 09:22 PM Re: job offer...need advice
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Make two columns - one for everything good about your current job and one for everything good about the new job. Fill out each list. Assign each item a rating from 1 - 5 with one being not important at all, and five being of the highest importance. Add up both columns and it should be easy to see which is the better opportunity.

Return to Top
#549302 - 05/16/06 09:24 PM Re: job offer...need advice
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
i know, you are right....and looking at the big pic....i think i'd be better to go with the new job....but i am still having doubts...maybe i am too comfortable here..

Return to Top
#549303 - 05/16/06 09:28 PM Re: job offer...need advice
ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø Offline
Stay in the old job - it's just too much of an adventure for you - you cannot handle new stuff and a real future.

Return to Top
#549304 - 05/16/06 09:32 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Can you see if they'll give you your two weeks... I mean get what ya want out of the new job... if they want you bad enough... they'll work with you. Plus.. any job that is willing to give you more training has gotta be a great bank... I so wish I could get more training here... I feel restricted in my ability and I've been desiring to learn more and move up in the banking world. Good luck.

Return to Top
#549305 - 05/16/06 09:34 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Slick, I agree with MB. Look at the big picture and see what is going to better for you in the long run. We get comfortable in our old jobs but you will eventually become the same way with the new job probably within a 6 month period. Better pay with better hours and opprotunity with advancements sounds a whole lot better than being stuck in the same hole for years to come.

Good luck to you. I know you will make the right decision.

Return to Top
#549306 - 05/16/06 09:36 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
On paper, it sounds like the new job would be your best bet! However, that's a decision YOU need to make based on what you want in life! Sorry Slick, but that's best advice I can give!

Return to Top
#549307 - 05/16/06 09:42 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Search is right. If they want you bad enough you should negotiate...especially in regard to the vacation time. Tell them you're sorely tempted but in order to do your best job, you value the time away from work to recharge your batteries. Maybe you'll end up compromising or maybe they'll say take it or leave it. Either way you won't know if you don't try. How they approach it will tell you a bit more about the company too.

Return to Top
#549308 - 05/16/06 09:55 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Plus what have you lost if you don't get what you want from the bank that has been after you for 2 years... nothing... you still have a job and you said yourself you are comfortable there...

Most of us don't have what we want.. because we refuse to ask for it... negotiate is your best offer... make this comfortable and a better benefit for yourself.

Return to Top
#549309 - 05/16/06 09:58 PM Re: job offer...need advice
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
i have been trying to move up and/or get more training for over a year now and have got nothing. but again...it's a comfort thing...and i am scared...

Return to Top
#549310 - 05/16/06 09:58 PM Re: job offer...need advice
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, I just switched jobs in the past 6 months, I lost a weeks vacation, pay was almost identical, but the opportunity at the new place was significantly greater. I've already received one promotion, additional pay, and an extra week vacation...I too was pursued, and they definitely made it worth my while.

Return to Top
#549311 - 05/16/06 10:06 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Quote:

i have been trying to move up and/or get more training for over a year now and have got nothing. but again...it's a comfort thing...and i am scared...

I've been trying for 2 years... finally got to attend one seminar... learned so much... and I'm desiring more.. I'm tired of being comfortable... because comfortable means I'll be in the same position for another what... 2-5 years... and that's not what I want... it's even the reason I'm thinking of changin majors...

Slick.. you're young enough to take that risk and see where you can go... don't be scared... or it will always hover over you and you'll never make it to where you would like to be.

Return to Top
#549312 - 05/16/06 10:08 PM Re: job offer...need advice
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
awww, thanks for the help guys....you all are so wise.. but seriously, you've helped me...

Return to Top
#549313 - 05/16/06 11:20 PM Re: job offer...need advice
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
do it i am going to a new bank with the promise of promotion, lets just hope so!!

Return to Top
#549314 - 05/16/06 11:45 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Here's what you need to do. Get two pieces of paper; draw a picture of your current bank on one, and the new bank on the other. Hang them on your least favorite wall in the house. Now slam a half pint of Jose Cuervo... After you are feeling the full effect of the tequila, spin in circles for 30 seconds. Now grab a dart and throw it in the general direction of the drawings. When you wake up the following morning, see which drawing the dart is closer too. That is the job you should take/keep.

Return to Top
#549315 - 05/17/06 01:29 AM Re: job offer...need advice
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
I have a friend that is a recruiter. She says that the easiest thing to negotiate is time off (it is a major concern of mine since I'm at the 5 week level). She seems to think it's a no sweat deal. A couple of years ago I worked in a department that brought in a new very young guy. I was flabergasted when he was promoted before me (although I wasn't jealous, just surprised since I had so much more experience and seniority, I didn't know how to negotiate when I came on board, just accepted the promo standard). It turns out when he
came in he negotiated. He said something like, if I do this within x amount of time, I want to be made an officer with 4 weeks of vacation. He kept up his end, they kept up their end and both were happy. Taught me a good lesson. Don't want to sound sexist, but I don't think alot of females realize the art of negotiation, at least I didn't.

Return to Top
#549316 - 05/17/06 01:57 AM Re: job offer...need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Stay in the old job - it's just too much of an adventure for you - you cannot handle new stuff and a real future.

holy crap that was mean!

Return to Top
#549317 - 05/17/06 02:47 AM Re: job offer...need advice
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Quote:

Quote:

holy crap that was mean!

thats what i thought, but i truly appreciate all the other good advice...its helps alot...

Return to Top
#549318 - 05/17/06 12:27 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
slick,
I left my job of 17 years as Ops Mgr for a new position at a different bank (compliance!). I also lost a week's vacation; had to commute for an hour instead of 5 mins. and I was scared to death. However, I was going nowhere at my old bank, and it was not rewarding. The way I saw it was this was a new adventure. (Remember, I am a single mom, so I had to have job security).

Let me tell you, coming into a new bank was like a breath of fresh air, I have learned so much and continue to learn every day. My current bank is generous with raises and compensation and I finally feel like I am getting the respect I deserve. I wish I had done it earlier.

Return to Top
#549319 - 05/17/06 12:43 PM Re: job offer...need advice
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Slick- don't be scared- people gave you good advice and Texas Boy said it all. Good Luck and believe in yourself!

Return to Top
#549320 - 05/17/06 01:28 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Slick,

I recently changed jobs. Mainly so I wouldn't have to travel any longer, but I was giving up some things. When I was asked what it would take to get me to work here, I was nervous, but told them exactly what I wanted AND I GOT IT! Just do what you feel is right and it will be right.

Good Luck!

Return to Top
#549321 - 05/17/06 01:46 PM Re: job offer...need advice
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Slick. The decision is ultimately up to you. As a lot of people have mentioned, do what you feel is right. Sometimes that may include sacrificing something you want such as vacation, but if you aren't happy where you are at, does the extra vacation truely mean that much to you in the big picture?

Since you soung excited about the new job, go for it.

Return to Top
#549322 - 05/17/06 02:26 PM Re: job offer...need advice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tell the bank that has offered the position, that you require two weeks vacation. If they want you bad enough, they'll go along with it.

Return to Top
#549323 - 05/17/06 02:31 PM Re: job offer...need advice
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I was at a bank (on one of the very lowest rungs) and they kept saying they would promote me, but they never did. I waited three years until I finally decided it would never happen because I didn't have the right "look" for them.

I was offered a position (same low rung) at another bank and was made the same promises. It was a tough decision for me, but I decided it was better to have tried than to remain in a spot I didn't want.

Six months at the new bank I was promoted and have been promoted ever since. Now I sit just below Senior Management on the flow chart. The possibilities are endless but sometimes you have to take a leap.

In your heart you know what you want to do. You will make the right choice. I have faith in you.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3