Thread Options
#550211 - 05/18/06 04:32 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

Quote:

well i have to say this thread has opened my eyes a little better to online dating, that it really isn't just for desperate people

nunz, i can only speak for myself, but i had the same perspective you did: i saw online dating as a meatmarket of pathetic girls/guys (i could prey on not guys though). i got over it and i hope you could, too. just because you dabble in online dating doesn't mean you can try to find a spark via traditional channels. the should be finding a good partner. it's true, there is a tremendous thrill in the chase, but doing it online doesn't really change that.

so is this ron?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#550212 - 05/18/06 04:34 PM Re: Online Datine
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Okay, to those who said that internet dating is for people who are desperate and pathetic or can't do it any other way- I go to bars/clubs to drink and have fun with my friends, not to meet drunk girls and try to get laid... If not being shallow makes me pathetic then thats news to me. I only recently tried online dating and I got to know the person much more that way than I could have from trying to hold a conversation in a place where you can barely hear anything. Also, the best part about online dating is you can weed out the ones you're not interested in before you even talk to them because you can look at a profile with information about them. The first person I dated online was the only person I sent a message to after looking at over 200 profiles... Now no public place that I could have gone to could have allowed me to meet over 200 people and weed through them in that amount of time.

Return to Top
#550213 - 05/18/06 04:35 PM Re: Online Datine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

so is this ron?

perhaps...

i hope you were able to read around typos.

Return to Top
#550214 - 05/18/06 04:39 PM Re: Online Datine
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Okay, to those who said that internet dating is for people who are desperate and pathetic or can't do it any other way- I go to bars/clubs to drink and have fun with my friends, not to meet drunk girls and try to get laid... If not being shallow makes me pathetic then thats news to me. I only recently tried online dating and I got to know the person much more that way than I could have from trying to hold a conversation in a place where you can barely hear anything. Also, the best part about online dating is you can weed out the ones you're not interested in before you even talk to them because you can look at a profile with information about them. The first person I dated online was the only person I sent a message to after looking at over 200 profiles... Now no public place that I could have gone to could have allowed me to meet over 200 people and weed through them in that amount of time.

This is a good point.. reading their profiles and such gives a general idea of how this person is... what some of their mannerism are and the such. I know when I'm online.. I look for a few things first... if those things aren't there...or I see something that doesn't interest me about them... then I just move to the next person and see what's up with them. I've never tried online dating... but I do this even with people I would call "online friends".

Return to Top
#550215 - 05/18/06 04:41 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

good for you, I'm happy you found someone....but didn't you say she's not the person that you thought she was, and that you are thinking about breaking up with her?

Return to Top
#550216 - 05/18/06 04:42 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

Quote:

so is this ron?

perhaps...

i hope you were able to read around typos.

lol i thought it was you!! yes i was able to!! thanks for asking

Return to Top
#550217 - 05/18/06 04:44 PM Re: Online Datine
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

Quote:

good for you, I'm happy you found someone....but didn't you say she's not the person that you thought she was, and that you are thinking about breaking up with her?

She's exactly who I thought she was, but I had myself convinced that that was what I wanted... Now I realize that its not quite what I need but she is still a great girl and someone is gonna be lucky to have her.

Return to Top
#550218 - 05/18/06 04:51 PM Re: Online Datine
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I know of four couples who met online and ended up married. One marraige lasted less than a month, the others are still going strong. The difference is that the first one didn't just use online to meet, but they conducted almost their entire relationship online, too, so they got married without having much "in person" time together. The other three met and got started online, but then continued their "courtship" in person in the conventional way. As long as you realize that online dating just another alternative to getting started, not a substitute for really getting to know each other, you should be fine.

Return to Top
#550219 - 05/18/06 04:58 PM Re: Online Datine
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

I know of four couples who met online and ended up married. One marraige lasted less than a month, the others are still going strong. The difference is that the first one didn't just use online to meet, but they conducted almost their entire relationship online, too, so they got married without having much "in person" time together. The other three met and got started online, but then continued their "courtship" in person in the conventional way. As long as you realize that online dating just another alternative to getting started, not a substitute for really getting to know each other, you should be fine.

I 100% agree, its a great way to meet people, but you arent gonna get far with a person that you dont physically spend time with

Return to Top
#550220 - 05/18/06 05:00 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

She's exactly who I thought she was, but I had myself convinced that that was what I wanted... Now I realize that its not quite what I need but she is still a great girl and someone is gonna be lucky to have her.

but still fact remains you don't like her so when you say you convinced yourself that that's what you wanted, in essence you are saying that she isn't what you thought she was(for you), i never said she wasn't a great girl i just said that aren't you breaking up with her, b/c of some things that you discovered that you don't like about her, anyway paul i'm not going to waste any more of my time arguing so i'm agreeing to disagree, btw i still luv u

Return to Top
#550221 - 05/18/06 05:30 PM Re: Online Datine
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I've never tried the on-line thing, exactly. Had a friend who tried it for a while - she was a lot braver than I. A lady I know really wanted to set me up with her son. She said we had a lot in common and I could see that "potential daughter-in-law gleam" in her eye. So, she exchanged our e-mail addresses. We corresponded a few times, but the timing was all wrong for me. I may have to find out what happened to him - we did have a number of common interests.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#550222 - 05/18/06 06:07 PM Re: Online Datine
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
So what is more pathethic, meeting someone online or hanging out in bars??

The biggest difference is, when you meet someone first (face to face), the relationship is outside-in. Appearance comes first, and then impressions are made possibly based on the tone of voice, signs of nervousness, etc. You may never get to really know someone who is perfect for you because you have to get past all the body language stuff. Meeting someone online, the relationship is inside-out. While you may still screen a person based on their picture, early-on you find out a lot more about what the person is really like.

Return to Top
#550223 - 05/18/06 06:12 PM Re: Online Datine
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Why is it that when you see a picture first, that creates the whole image if you like them or not? So many people are this way and it is not fair to them or to yourself. You may like the person first, exchange a few emails, they seem interested, then you exchange pics and all of a sudden they dont want to talk to you anymore. Why hassle with the whole thing? I just think it is a big let down.
Last edited by That Girl; 05/18/06 06:13 PM.

Return to Top
#550224 - 05/18/06 06:13 PM Re: Online Datine
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
I agree CG, but then the problem I have had is this: you meet someone online, they seem nice, and then you meet and there is no chemisty! This is the biggest problem I have with online dating. You've spent all this time getting to know someone and it's all for nothing.

Return to Top
#550225 - 05/18/06 06:13 PM Re: Online Datine
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
I agree CG, but then the problem I have had is this: you meet someone online, they seem nice, and then you meet and there is no chemisty! This is the biggest problem I have with online dating. You've spent all this time getting to know someone and it's all for nothing.

Return to Top
#550226 - 05/18/06 06:15 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
yes file queen you can get the feel of chemistry when your out somewhere

Return to Top
#550227 - 05/18/06 06:18 PM Re: Online Datine
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

So you like this person enough to go out and meet them right? They are nice, you share interests, and a friendship begins to form. But if you meet them in person and there is no "chemistry" it's all for nothing? I guess that means you can't accept it as friendship and not something more and continue to get to know them? Love at first sight leads to divorce. In a lasting relationship, the chemistry builds from the friendship.

Return to Top
#550228 - 05/18/06 06:19 PM Re: Online Datine
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
I think too many people listen to what society deems as "handsome" and "sexy".... therefore they never get past the fact of truly getting to know an individual for who they really are. Looks are a good thing to have... because there's gotta be something to even get ya interested in to start with... but for me... personality is the key. Goodness knows I meet a lot of people online and I'm totally attracted to their personality... seeing a pic of them only puts their face with their personality. Give me what society thinks is not a "handsome" man any day if he's got a killer personality and outlook on life. Looks can only take a person so far...
Last edited by Search_Me; 05/18/06 06:20 PM.

Return to Top
#550229 - 05/18/06 06:21 PM Re: Online Datine
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
Quote:

Quote:

So you like this person enough to go out and meet them right? They are nice, you share interests, and a friendship begins to form. But if you meet them in person and there is no "chemistry" it's all for nothing? I guess that means you can't accept it as friendship and not something more and continue to get to know them? Love at first sight leads to divorce. In a lasting relationship, the chemistry builds from the friendship.

Funny, that's what I told myself when I married my ex, but it never happened. So forgive me if I don't believe that anymore!

Return to Top
#550230 - 05/18/06 06:27 PM Re: Online Datine
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Funny, that's what I told myself when I married my ex, but it never happened. So forgive me if I don't believe that anymore!

You know what? Noone said you should marry someone before that chemistry builds. However, if you miss out on real friendships because you are seeking something more and are blinded to something even more precious than someone to date that you are attracted to, that's your loss.

However, you should realize one thing. What you find attractive is transitory. It changes based on many things. Perhaps the first time you meet the guy, he's wearing a color you don't like. Maybe he didn't get a lot of sleep and he's got a little tired looking thing going on. Maybe the wind ruffled his hair. Maybe you just had a bad day. Who knows, if you snap to judgement well, you'll never know.

Return to Top
#550231 - 05/18/06 06:30 PM Re: Online Datine
ThePaul Offline
Diamond Poster
ThePaul
Dallas, TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

but still fact remains you don't like her so when you say you convinced yourself that that's what you wanted, in essence you are saying that she isn't what you thought she was(for you), i never said she wasn't a great girl i just said that aren't you breaking up with her, b/c of some things that you discovered that you don't like about her, anyway paul i'm not going to waste any more of my time arguing so i'm agreeing to disagree, btw i still luv u

this is the last thing im gonna say
You said (in bold none the less) that I dont like her... Thats not true, I really do like her but I just think we might be better off as friends. I havent even completely decided that though, after I talk to her about a couple things I might still end up staying with her depending on how it goes and what I find out.

Return to Top
#550232 - 05/18/06 06:37 PM Re: Online Datine
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
whatever

paul just move on there are a million girls out there, and you can weed out about 800 online in an hour, so what may i ask are you waiting for lol i'm so just messin with ya

Return to Top
#550233 - 05/18/06 06:39 PM Re: Online Datine
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
Quote:

whatever

paul just move on there are a million girls out there, and you can weed out about 800 online in an hour, so what may i ask are you waiting for lol i'm so just messin with ya

I'll tell you... he's waiting on me... Don't be giving him such a hard time Nunz... he truly misses me...

LOL... I'm so teasing...

Return to Top
#550234 - 05/19/06 06:00 PM Re: Online Datine
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Go slowly, be careful and it can be a great way to meet more people. Using the Internet (not dating sites) I corresponded with loads of local women and met several of them casually after a few e-mails back and forth. I found it a great way to increase the pool, as discussed by many above. That all ended 10 years ago shortly after I tripped over my wife's online profile. We wrote (increasingly longer) e-mails for a few weeks, had a few telephone conversations and then met for drinks. We've been happily married for 8 years now.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3