Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#556561 - 06/13/06 05:10 PM Re: VA Data Breach
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
This is the latest press release on the data theft.
http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=9159

My husband just got the letter that MagicBanker referred to. I just checked his mypay, and his LES does not state anything about the theft. Maybe it will be on the next LES.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#556562 - 06/14/06 12:10 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

You stated in your post that it affects veterans with enlistments or changes since 1975. My husband and myself have been notified and our enlistments were before '75, with no further contact after our discharge (also before '75). This tells me that more information was taken then first thought.

Absolutely. As noted in the link above, they later expanded this to include some active duty, reserve and national guard members. Originally I believe they thought it was veterans who got out after '75 or had benefits changes. I'm sure recreating what data was on a laptop after it is gone could be very difficult.

Although the person whose home was robbed when this was stolen is no happier about it than you or I, at least their case is getting more attention from LE than any other in the country.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#556563 - 06/14/06 01:09 PM Re: VA Data Breach
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I got my letter two days ago. I'm not sure how far back the data go, but I left the service back ('way back) in 1969. But I did use some VA education benefits during the 1970s. I thought the notice was level-headed and well-conceived, although there's not much to it beyond what anyone could find on the FTC website. The bottom line is, we all need to keep an eye on our credit files.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#556564 - 06/14/06 04:36 PM Re: VA Data Breach
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
My husband got his letter yesterday. His timing is similar to John's. I wondered how the VA had our current address, and the letter states that they asked the IRS to forward the letters to those where the VA had not had recent contact.

Return to Top
#556565 - 06/29/06 02:34 PM Re: VA Data Breach
George Toft Offline
New Poster
George Toft
Phoenix, AZ
Military.com (http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,103460,00.html) is now reporting that several documents have surfaced giving the analyst permission to take the data home on his laptop. VA is also asking for $160 million to pay for the credit monitoring. This is rapidly approaching $200 million in direct costs, not to mention the $28 billion law suit.

And this could have been prevented with $150 commercially supported whole disk encryption software.

Return to Top
#556566 - 06/29/06 02:58 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I read yesterday about the employee being authorized to take the data home, had been provided special software to manipulate the large amounts of data, etc. He also reported the theft immediately. It was the higher ups who delayed and didn't fess up about authorizing the work.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#556567 - 06/29/06 03:02 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Veterns are being encouraged not to take the free credit report offer at this time, as it my eliminate them from the proposed settlement of the law suite being filed.

The suite provides for a $1,000 cash settlement for every vetern AND the free credit reports

Return to Top
#556568 - 06/29/06 04:07 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The laptop has been recovered but the unknown is where has it been and what was done with it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#556569 - 06/29/06 04:13 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
For some security insights when data is portable this way, and hopefully bankers are thinking about this more now, see yesterday's blog entry. There is no point in reinventing the wheel.

Return to Top
#556570 - 06/29/06 09:29 PM Re: VA Data Breach
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Quote:

Veterns are being encouraged not to take the free credit report offer at this time, as it my eliminate them from the proposed settlement of the law suite being filed.

The suite provides for a $1,000 cash settlement for every vetern AND the free credit reports

I am a veteran, and I received my little two-page mailing from the VA. Frankly, I'm not among those who would sign on to a law suit for this SNAFU. It was stupid, it was careless, and there should be some disciplinary action against those who permitted it to happen and should have known better. But I can't sanction a law suit. That's opportunism, in my book.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#556571 - 07/03/06 02:58 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree with John. I wouldn't want funds unless there was harm and compensation was needed to make me whole. I shouldn't gain on tax dollars because of this.

And to expand on the threat, a tape in Indy is also missing from the VA. This has info on 16,000 legal cases and 12,000 records with NPPI on them.

Return to Top
#556572 - 07/03/06 03:30 PM Re: VA Data Breach
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Good for you John! Lawsuits only end up costing us all in cases like this. Unless actual harm can be proven, keep the lawyers OUT of it!

Return to Top
#556573 - 07/03/06 04:15 PM Re: VA Data Breach
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I know I am a cynic and a skeptic, but I find it "interesting" that in no other information security breach was the data recovered, but it was in this one. AND, the database was not opened. AND it was voluntarily turned in. Hmmm.

The government never puts out news to squelch public comment. Hmmm.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z