BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#556782 - 05/23/06 03:44 PM HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
We just learned that over the next two weeks our bank's IT department will be downloading bank-themed screensaver and wallpaper to our computers. We've been told that we will be unable to install non-bank themed screensaver/wallpaper. Help! What can I do?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#556783 - 05/23/06 03:45 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Be one with the Borg!

Return to Top
#556784 - 05/23/06 03:50 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
The Borg is my hero. I just want my own screensaver and wallpaper.

Return to Top
#556785 - 05/23/06 03:51 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Our institution is like that...BORING...you get used to it after a while

Return to Top
#556786 - 05/23/06 03:52 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Anonymous
Unregistered

ahh, grin and bear it (patrice)

Return to Top
#556787 - 05/23/06 03:54 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Not to be smug, but if you want your own screensaver and wallpaper, buy your own computer. Then have at it.

If your bank doesn't want to grant that level of individuality at work with their computers (and there are risk and control reasons for not doing so), then you've got to decide whether that is the right place for you to be working.

Return to Top
#556788 - 05/23/06 04:02 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Print out the screensaver you want, then just tape it to your PC anytime you aren't using it. same effects...

Return to Top
#556789 - 05/23/06 04:04 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Quote:

Print out the screensaver you want, then just tape it to your PC anytime you aren't using it. same effects...

ROFL... happy... you're killing me here...

Return to Top
#556790 - 05/23/06 04:09 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
Just put a little white-out over the parts you don't want to see.

You are the victim of a Network Natzee. These are individuals in the IT department that decide that thy know what is best for you as a computer user. As always, there are good and bad aspects to this type of control. Good - IT does not have to worry about end user "installing a really cool game" that is actually a worm or virus. Bad, you can no longer use your vacation pictures as a wallpaper and your desktop is very vanilla. No cool sounds when you get mail - no more George Carlin, daffy duck or sexy voices letting you know there is a letter for you.

Return to Top
#556791 - 05/23/06 04:11 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
it happened to us as well, 1st they came for the games, but i wasn't a game, so i did nothing, then they came for the screensavers, but i wasn't a screensaver so i did nothing, then they came for the background, but i wasn't a background, so i did nothing. then they came for our cd drives and our speakers, but i wasn't a cd drive or speaker so i did nothing. next they will come for me.

Return to Top
#556792 - 05/23/06 04:13 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

We just learned that over the next two weeks our bank's IT department will be downloading bank-themed screensaver and wallpaper to our computers. We've been told that we will be unable to install non-bank themed screensaver/wallpaper. Help! What can I do?

I can't help you with the screen saver, but if you're running Windows XP there may be away around the Borg's wallpaper.

Return to Top
#556793 - 05/23/06 04:14 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
Happy, I am the IT person (amoung other duties) at my bank, I love your idea about taping the picture on your screen!!! I think I will make that part of my IT policy on downloading screen savers!!!!

Return to Top
#556794 - 05/23/06 04:30 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

it happened to us as well, 1st they came for the games, but i wasn't a game, so i did nothing, then they came for the screensavers, but i wasn't a screensaver so i did nothing, then they came for the background, but i wasn't a background, so i did nothing. then they came for our cd drives and our speakers, but i wasn't a cd drive or speaker so i did nothing. next they will come for me.

Reminds me of my old bank... it sucked.

Return to Top
#556795 - 05/23/06 04:32 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

You are the victim of a Network Natzee. These are individuals in the IT department that decide that they know what is best for you as a computer user.

I would not say this is accurate. I would say they decide they know what is best for the bank owned equipment, network, and information, not what is best for you as a computer user. I'd say that frankly they don't really care what you as the user want, but then again, why should they? They are getting paid to, and have a resposibility and accountability to make sure the bank's equipment, network, and information stay safe in a very unsafe world. If that means you don't get to have your vacation pictures flash on the screen, then so be it. I can't blame them. And I wouldn't say that makes them a Natzee or a Nazi, or any other derogatory phrase you can throw at them. They're doing the job they're paid to do, just like you.

Return to Top
#556796 - 05/23/06 04:41 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
"hey it's your company's computer guy" (sang in a jingle type of way) SNL fans will know this one "MOVE!"

Return to Top
#556797 - 05/23/06 04:44 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Network Natzee

That's funny!!

Return to Top
#556798 - 05/23/06 04:48 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My fiance is a Network Natzee... Ironically, we were just discussing this the other night, he and the other IT Natzees at his bank decided that all users should have their task bar set on "auto hide" (Mind you, there are 85 branches plus an HQ...) They rolled out the new desktop and everyone freaked... The Pres made them switch it back... LOL.
I don't always know if it is always in the interest of their banks... I see the Network Natzee streak in him...

Return to Top
#556799 - 05/23/06 04:50 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Quote:

Thank you Albert Einstein!

Return to Top
#556800 - 05/23/06 05:19 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
[quote And I wouldn't say that makes them a Natzee or a Nazi, or any other derogatory phrase you can throw at them. They're doing the job they're paid to do, just like you.

It was not meant as derogatory. It was meant to be funny, sorry if I offended you.

I ran our IT department for several years. Unfortunately, "purely IT" people have no clue as to what the end-users need. They think they do, but they have a tendancy to force something on you that only makes your job harder. There is a trade-off and I understand both sides, probably better than most people.

Return to Top
#556801 - 05/23/06 05:39 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Quote:

[quote And I wouldn't say that makes them a Natzee or a Nazi, or any other derogatory phrase you can throw at them. They're doing the job they're paid to do, just like you.

It was not meant as derogatory. It was meant to be funny, sorry if I offended you.

I ran our IT department for several years. Unfortunately, "purely IT" people have no clue as to what the end-users need. They think they do, but they have a tendancy to force something on you that only makes your job harder. There is a trade-off and I understand both sides, probably better than most people.

This is being forced upon us by the Marketing Department. I can see value on pc's found in branches or where customers might see them, but I have no customer access. And I know the pc is owned by the bank; it's their property. But I'm the one who has to look at it 8-10 hours a day, and I prefer my own screensaver and wallpaper. I just need some IT person who can help me override this change.

Return to Top
#556802 - 05/23/06 07:03 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Unfortunately, "purely IT" people have no clue as to what the end-users need. They think they do, but they have a tendancy to force something on you that only makes your job harder.

In my experience they force things upon us on that sometimes (not always) make it easier (or less expensive) for them to do their jobs, without taking into full consideration how their decisions impact the effiency of end users. Sometimes I wonder if we're not spending a dollar to save a dime.
Last edited by Homestar; 05/23/06 07:05 PM.

Return to Top
#556803 - 05/23/06 07:28 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

I just need some IT person who can help me override this change.

I'm afraid that you're going to have to grin and bear it, unless you have administrative passwords and know how to navigate through a Windows Server 2003 Management Console.

I'm assuming that your workplace is using Microsoft servers, so your IT Department is most likely utilizing Group Policy Objects (GPOs) to enforce the settings. Think of Group Policy Objects as a list of rules that a computer must obey. When you type in your username and password in the morning to login to the domain, your computer is going to essentially recognize the list of rules that applies to it and then abide by those rules. Therefore, the only way around the rules it to either a.) not login to the network, and login locally to the computer or b.) make it so your computer does not have to obey the rules.

Unfortunately, you need to have administrative rights and know how to make your computer exempt from the rules.

GPOs are quite nice for network admins, because they can pick and choose functionality for a computer, allowing certain tasks to be performed by the users and disallowing others; however, if GPOs are implemented incorrectly and without testing, they can cause a great deal of chaos and confusion, as users will be disallowed from the functions they need to perform their daily tasks.

Return to Top
#556804 - 05/23/06 07:44 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

I'm afraid that you're going to have to grin and bear it, unless you have administrative passwords and know how to navigate through a Windows Server 2003 Management Console.

I'm assuming that your workplace is using Microsoft servers, so your IT Department is most likely utilizing Group Policy Objects (GPOs) to enforce the settings. Think of Group Policy Objects as a list of rules that a computer must obey. When you type in your username and password in the morning to login to the domain, your computer is going to essentially recognize the list of rules that applies to it and then abide by those rules. Therefore, the only way around the rules it to either a.) not login to the network, and login locally to the computer or b.) make it so your computer does not have to obey the rules.

Unfortunately, you need to have administrative rights and know how to make your computer exempt from the rules.

GPOs are quite nice for network admins, because they can pick and choose functionality for a computer, allowing certain tasks to be performed by the users and disallowing others; however, if GPOs are implemented incorrectly and without testing, they can cause a great deal of chaos and confusion, as users will be disallowed from the functions they need to perform their daily tasks.

Hey Chi! How's the new job treating ya?!

Return to Top
#556805 - 05/23/06 08:54 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Quote:

Quote:

You're the man. Thanks for the lesson. Sounds like I'm screwed though.

Return to Top
#556806 - 05/23/06 11:42 PM Re: HELP, My PC Is Being Hijacked
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Quote:

"hey it's your company's computer guy" (sang in a jingle type of way) SNL fans will know this one "MOVE!"

Good Heavens! I almost forgot all about that one...:)

Return to Top