Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#557599 - 05/24/06 08:40 PM Collateral Substitution
kw@fnb Offline
100 Club
Beatrice, NE
Here's our situation. Couple getting divorced. Wife got the house. Husband got the debt. Wife wants to downsize and get a different house. Loan officer wants to substitute the collateral on the original note. Is this a "bank" decision and or a compliance issue? Please advise.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#557600 - 05/24/06 09:20 PM Re: Collateral Substitution
Edr55 Offline
Gold Star
Edr55
"wife got the house. Husband got the debt"
Is that according to divorce court, or did your bank actually release her from liability, and transfer his interest in the real estate to her? I'm assuming divorce court. In that case, it's totally up to the bank what you allow, because both pledge the existing home as collateral, and both are still liable.
I have a problem with 'substituting collateral on the original note' in either case.

Return to Top
#557601 - 05/24/06 09:37 PM Re: Collateral Substitution
kw@fnb Offline
100 Club
Beatrice, NE
The bank has not done anything yet. This was the court ruling.

Return to Top
#557602 - 05/25/06 12:33 AM Re: Collateral Substitution
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If she sells the house the loan gets paid off at closing - how the husband and wife want to comply with the court order is between them. If the husband wants to "assume" the debt. Have him apply for a loan and put up the necessary collateral and use the proceeds to pay off the loan. You are not involved or obligated by anything in the court agreement nor are you obligated to faciliate the process.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z