Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#558308 - 05/25/06 07:25 PM Limits on Number of Authorized Signors
Rooster Offline
We have an unusual situation at our bank where a customer with a individual DDA (non-interest bearing) has an excessive number of authorized signors. The customer has been questioned on this and claims she needs them to conduct transactions out of her personal account for her real estate business. Is there any consenus out there as to what would constitute an "unusual" number of authorized signors on a personal account? Thanks!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#558309 - 05/25/06 07:56 PM Re: Limits on Number of Authorized Signors
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Personally, I've always taught tellers and New Account Reps, if something seems unusual, it probably is - If the bank is uncomfortable with a request made by a customer, they are under no obligation to heed that request - simply tell the customer, that in this situation you are uncomfortable with the inordinately large number of signers on the account and will not allow it.

(Out of curiousity, how many is she asking for? 3, 9, 12?)

Return to Top
#558310 - 05/25/06 07:59 PM Re: Limits on Number of Authorized Signors
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'll counter with a question -- why is this customer permitted to operate her real estate business out of her personal account? Many banks would require a business account for such purposes.

That said, I believe a bank should be able to drawn a line on the number of authorized signers permitted on an account to conform to the bank's operational limitations.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#558311 - 05/25/06 08:26 PM Re: Limits on Number of Authorized Signors
Rooster Offline
Thanks for your responses. I am new to this particular bank, and at the prior bank I worked at I had only seen up to 4 authorized signors on an individual account. This particular person has 15 signors on the account and for some reason, the bank has not required them to have a business account and has allowed the customer to continue with this account. I am going to have them go back and look at their transactions to see if they spot anything suspicious. And if they do, we'll be possibly filing a SAR if we meet the treshold. In the meantime, I want to have them switch the customer to a business account. Thanks again!

Return to Top