Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#558442 - 05/26/06 12:08 AM Community Development Service
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Has anyone ever heard of getting credit for serving as a scout master, den mother or big brother/big sister supervising activites at weekly meetings, providing a general "helping hand" with life's challenges to predominantly LMI individuals? I thought an employee's services had to be related to financial services to be counted as CRA credit???

Return to Top
CRA
#558443 - 05/26/06 02:01 AM Re: Community Development Service
Len S Offline
Diamond Poster
Connecticut
Any services provided by the financial institution or its employees must be financial in nature as you state in order to get credit for community development services. This doesn't apply to the provision of "community services" by non-bank organizations. So you could provide financing to a daycare center, or a medical services provider, etc that serves primarily low- or moderate-income people and get credit for that as community development lending or investing. But your point about the limitation for services rendered by the bank or its employees is correct.

Return to Top
#558444 - 05/26/06 02:42 PM Re: Community Development Service
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Thanks for the confirmation

Return to Top
#558445 - 05/26/06 03:02 PM Re: Community Development Service
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
As for Scouts, I think you could try to get credit as the Personal Management Badge counselor for Boy Scouts (I would imagine that Girl Scouts have something similar for personal finance) if the troop (patrol, pack, den, etc.) is predominately LMI.

Return to Top
#558446 - 05/26/06 03:51 PM Re: Community Development Service
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
The Brownies have try it badges that would fit and I think the other three age levels have regular badges that specific requirements are financial in nature.

Return to Top
#558447 - 05/26/06 10:54 PM Re: Community Development Service
AEA Offline
I'd suggest that you focus on the big picture with your activities - what was the impact of what you did - instead of "trying" for the little activities. The primary purpose of the Boy Scouts is not community development and these activities may or may NOT be targeted to low- or moderate-income individuals.

Return to Top