Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#560700 - 06/01/06 02:44 PM Cooking Fish
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
My husband and son went fishing this morning, and we are having fresh walleye for supper tonight. Does anyone have any good ways to cook it? I've always just breaded it and deep fried it, which is tasty, but I'm in the mood for something different. Any ideas?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#560701 - 06/01/06 02:51 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Pan fry.

Return to Top
#560702 - 06/01/06 02:54 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Put your favorite seasoning on the fish (lemon-pepper, cajun), slice red onion and fresh lemons, place on top of the fish, wrap in foil and grill....mmmmmmmm!

Return to Top
#560703 - 06/01/06 03:00 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands

Return to Top
#560704 - 06/01/06 03:00 PM Re: Cooking Fish
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
wrap in in tin foil tightly and put it on the top rack of the dish washer and run a full cycle (no soap) on the high temp setting. It will come out light and flaky and delicious. It's awesome!

Return to Top
#560705 - 06/01/06 03:00 PM Re: Cooking Fish
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
I've always filleted walleyes (and perch), then breaded and and deep fried them. However, heres a fancy walleye dish.

Walleye Supreme

Ingredients

• 1 pound walleye*

• 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated

• 8 ounces sour cream

• 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup

• 1 medium onion, diced
Preheat oven to 350¡F. Place fish in shallow baking pan; place diced onion and cheese evenly on fish. Mix sour cream and soup in a bowl and spoon onto fish. Bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 4.

*Ideal fillets should be approximately 3/4-inch thick.

Return to Top
#560706 - 06/01/06 03:05 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

wrap in in tin foil tightly and put it on the top rack of the dish washer and run a full cycle (no soap) on the high temp setting. It will come out light and flaky and delicious. It's awesome!

D2X, are you for real? I have never heard of this and I think I would be scared to try it!

Return to Top
#560707 - 06/01/06 03:07 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Pan fry it with a light bread crumb and red pepper breading!

Return to Top
#560708 - 06/01/06 03:07 PM Re: Cooking Fish
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas Boy, that is exactly what I was thinking!

Return to Top
#560709 - 06/01/06 03:08 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

D2X, are you for real? I have never heard of this and I think I would be scared to try it!

It actually does come out perfect!

Return to Top
#560710 - 06/01/06 03:09 PM Re: Cooking Fish
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely, It is awesome. The heat of the water and the dry setting is enough to cook the fish as long as the filet is not too thick. The fish comes out light and flaky and it almost melts in your mouth. Try it some time with a small filet and see what you think. I used to have a boss who was an avid fisherman and he did this all the time too.

Return to Top
#560711 - 06/01/06 03:10 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely, It is awesome. The heat of the water and the dry setting is enough to cook the fish as long as the filet is not too thick. The fish comes out light and flaky and it almost melts in your mouth. Try it some time with a small filet and see what you think. I used to have a boss who was an avid fisherman and he did this all the time too.

I'm going to have to try this when my parents come to see my new home. It'll totally freak my mother out

Return to Top
#560712 - 06/01/06 03:11 PM Re: Cooking Fish
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
Oh yes. You can't forget the homemade tartar sauce made with mayo and dill pickles. mmmmmmm. The best.

Return to Top
#560713 - 06/01/06 03:12 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Another great way to cook Walleye is to make General Tso's Walleye! Go to Trader Joe's, buy their premade Genral Tso's marinade, put the walleye in a pie pan, slather it with sauce, and bake it at 350 until done... YUM!

Return to Top
#560714 - 06/01/06 03:17 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Blue Eyes Offline
Dallas, TX
Let it sit in zatarans crab boil for about 20 min. Then wisk and egg, cover the fish in the egg. Then put into zatarans fish fry. Fry it on the stove. Trust me so good and so much flavor!

Return to Top
#560715 - 06/01/06 03:19 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Blue Eyes Offline
Dallas, TX
oh i forgot the zatarans crab boil liquid.

Return to Top
#560716 - 06/01/06 03:30 PM Re: Cooking Fish
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Put your favorite seasoning on the fish (lemon-pepper, cajun), slice red onion and fresh lemons, place on top of the fish, wrap in foil and grill....mmmmmmmm!

Bear with me, I'm not a great cook! So, if I decide to grill it, how do I know when it is done? Do I have to flip it over halfway through cooking? (can you tell I'm generally a microwave cook? )

Return to Top
#560717 - 06/01/06 03:34 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Quote:

Bear with me, I'm not a great cook! So, if I decide to grill it, how do I know when it is done? Do I have to flip it over halfway through cooking? (can you tell I'm generally a microwave cook? )

In foil I don't believe you need to flip.

Return to Top
#560718 - 06/01/06 03:47 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In foil I don't believe you need to flip.

No flipping needed...depending on how thick your fillets are it should only take 5-10 on a hot grill. I place the packets on the top rack of our grill and in about 10 minutes they are done. Don't stack the fillets, spread them out on the foil. If you like buttered fish put a little butter in the packet too. The reynolds foil packets work well.

Return to Top
#560719 - 06/01/06 04:09 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you use a charcoal grill, let the coals burn down until you can hold her hand over the grill, about 1 inch away from the grill surface, for the count of 3. If your hands are either particularly sensitive or impervious to heat, have someone else do it. While the coals are burning down to the right temp, you can cook hotdogs first and then burgers on. They cook well at hotter temps.

Return to Top
#560720 - 06/01/06 05:27 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Bank Angler Offline
Gold Star
Bank Angler
Just a short drive from Lake E...
With the bigger fish (8 pounds or more) I fillet them and then leave the skin and scales on. After thoroughly washing the fillet, drop it into a gallon zip lock bag and add Hawaiian marinade or a new Ginger marinade. Soak for 24 hours and put on the grill with the skin side down. Grill for 20-30 minutes on high heat and serve. My son likes this better than any way I've tried to prepare larger walleyes. My sister, who lives in Florida, gave me this recipe. She uses it on Mahi Mahi and grouper.

Another hint is to thoroughly bleed the fish while it is still alive.
|
|
¿ <°)))><

Return to Top
#560721 - 06/01/06 05:44 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Anonymous
Unregistered

raw

Return to Top
#560722 - 06/01/06 07:13 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Brush with butter and olive oil, and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning. Grill or wrap in foil and grill.

I do this will all kinds of fish. It is simple and tasty.

Return to Top
#560723 - 06/01/06 08:31 PM Re: Cooking Fish
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Grind it up, form it into sticks, bread it, and deep fry it. Hey it works for Mrs. Paul (not to be confused with ThePaul).

Return to Top
#560724 - 06/02/06 02:18 PM Re: Cooking Fish
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Place fish in foil, squeeze a lemon over fish, rub a little olive oil on both sides of fish, put a little chunk of butter on bottom, salt and pepper it, a little garlic powder. On the top of fish and bottom place a couple of thin tomato slices, gutted sliced serrano peppers, good amount of cilantro, and a couple thin slices of onion. Good stuff, this is tonights meal.

Return to Top