Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#563638 - 06/07/06 10:11 PM reporting to law enforcement
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Does anyone know definitively where a report should be filed with law enforcement when the jurisdiction where the crime occurred and the jurisdiction for the bank suffering a loss are not the same? (We've been given the run-around several times by local police departments.)

Thanks.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#563639 - 06/08/06 12:36 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
NY2004 Offline
Usually where the crime occurred.

Return to Top
#563640 - 06/08/06 04:38 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
Banking Bard Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
You will want to file it where the crime occurred as that is the law enforcement division that will need to investigate the crime.

If I in CA and my laptop is stolen, I won't come home to KY and file the police report with the local police.

Return to Top
#563641 - 06/09/06 02:46 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Thank you! That was my understanding, too. It just baffles me how we know these things, but law enforcement doesn't.

Return to Top
#563642 - 06/09/06 08:29 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
Banking Bard Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
You mean that the law enforcement office where the crime occurred asked you to file it with your home office?

I wonder how they would have felt if one of your local deputies/officers came into their jurisdiction to investigate the case?

Return to Top
#563643 - 06/09/06 08:40 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Yup - that's exactly what they told me. And they are not the first department that has tried to pass the buck to our home office.

I actually think these departments would rather have another jurisdiction investigate the case, just so they won't have to deal with it. But the home office, of course, refuses to take the report.

Return to Top
#563644 - 06/19/06 12:46 PM Re: reporting to law enforcement
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Ahem. Here are the rules:
A local law enforcement agency MUST accept a crime report if the crime occurred in its jurisdiction. The agency doesn't have to follow-up on it, however. Think "big shredder in the sky".
A local law enforcement agency MAY accept a crime report if the crime occurred in another jurisdiction -- as a courtesy. The agency will forward a copy of its report to the most appropriate agency at your request.
A federal law enforcement agency MAY accept a crime report involving a violation of federal law. The federal agency has sole discretion as to accepting the report or following up on it.
It's not always fair . . .

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z