Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Thread Options
#564205 - 06/15/06 04:50 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?

No.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#564206 - 06/15/06 04:51 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?

No.

So context is important in reading biblical verses but not koranic verses. Interesting logic anon.

Return to Top
#564207 - 06/15/06 04:53 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No.

So context is important in reading biblical verses but not koranic verses. Interesting logic anon.

That's not what I said.

Return to Top
#564208 - 06/15/06 04:54 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
All you said was no to a direct question. WOuld you care to elaborate?

Return to Top
#564209 - 06/15/06 04:57 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Context of verse and intent of a verse is important to both the Koran and the Bible, but I can't say it is impossible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped from either book.

Return to Top
#564210 - 06/15/06 05:09 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Oh hush now, you'll spoil anon-Bugs' fun!

And to the 'not-ron-anon', it's just tacky to celebrate the death of an enemy in battle. Nothing to do with the religions involved. Not to say the death of an enemy isn't a good thing, or to deny its importance, but it's unseemly to throw a party over it. You armchair psychopaths, I mean, generals are a funny bunch.

Return to Top
#564211 - 06/15/06 05:11 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Oh hush now, you'll spoil anon-Bugs' fun!

And to the 'not-ron-anon', it's just tacky to celebrate the death of an enemy in battle. Nothing to do with the religions involved. Not to say the death of an enemy isn't a good thing, or to deny its importance, but it's unseemly to throw a party over it. You armchair psychopaths, I mean, generals are a funny bunch.

ROTFLMA

Return to Top
#564212 - 06/15/06 05:17 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

TO: AML, the Emily Post of War Etiquette.

I agree, celebrating the death of an enemy soldier is wrong. However, Zarqawi was not an enemy soldier. He was a cold, calculated murderer of innocent men, women, and children. Celebrating the death of this murdering subhuman scum is wholly and entirely appropriate. It should be required to prove your patriotism. (Oh, I exaggerate.)

Return to Top
#564213 - 06/15/06 05:25 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Context of verse and intent of a verse is important to both the Koran and the Bible, but I can't say it is impossible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped from either book.

So to sum up, context and intent are important, but it is possible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped out of context.

Anyone besides me having trouble following this arugment?

Return to Top
#564214 - 06/15/06 05:33 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I don't think the anon is following his/her own argument.

Return to Top
#564215 - 06/15/06 05:55 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Well, there are two possibilities:
1. the anon isn't following their own reasoning (or can't)
2. their disagreement is hinged on one of those intensely legalist, special circumstance, sub-clause 87 type arguments.

Return to Top
#564216 - 06/15/06 05:57 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

2. their disagreement is hinged on one of those intensely legalist, special circumstance, sub-clause 87 type arguments.

I'm guessing choice #1.

Return to Top
#564217 - 06/15/06 06:07 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So to sum up, context and intent are important, but it is possible to prove or disprove something with a single verse or several verses snipped out of context.

No, I said what I meant. You did not sum it up correctly at all. Did you attend the Sweetpeas school of summation?

I said that I could not say that it is impossible. In other words, I don't know that is impossible. I never said it was possible, did I? Sorry, you're having trouble following me.

Return to Top
#564218 - 06/15/06 06:35 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
See, it was really #2 after all.

Return to Top
#564219 - 06/15/06 07:14 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm guessing choice #1.

translation: duhhhhh

Return to Top
#564220 - 06/15/06 07:15 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

AML: That's a queer way to look at it, as X would say. My answer to this question: "Then you would say it is impossible to cut individual verses from the Koran to demonstrate how Islam is a violent religion?" was simply no. The fact is, I don't know whether it is impossible.

Return to Top
#564221 - 06/15/06 08:06 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, I said what I meant. You did not sum it up correctly at all. Did you attend the Sweetpeas school of summation?

I said that I could not say that it is impossible. In other words, I don't know that is impossible. I never said it was possible, did I? Sorry, you're having trouble following me.

Well, if you want to get into semantics, that would be you do not know if it is impossible or possible.

Putting aside that sublte distinction, if you admit context and intent are important, how could it be possible to cut verses out of context to demonstrate a religion's inherent violence?

Please explain how it would be possible, as cutting the verses removes the context and intent. Seems like these are opposite, no?

Return to Top
#564222 - 06/15/06 08:16 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe straw, and I'd say that it would be difficult, but I can't say absolutely for sure it is outside the realm of impossibility. Isn't it silly the things we argue here infinitum? I think it is funny how we argue on and on about what we said or didn't say, instead of just returning to the meat of the topic. See ya!

Return to Top
#564223 - 06/15/06 08:29 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Well I think it is silly going around and around when you cannot logically justify your point, but you continue to try to defend it.

Too bad you're running off. A few more back and forths and I think you would have had to chime in as another anon attacking me.

Return to Top
#564224 - 06/15/06 08:54 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Well I think it is silly going around and around when you cannot logically justify your point, but you continue to try to defend it.

I was not trying to defend my post. I was trying to explain it you because you kept asking me to explain it, but apparently you either don't understand it or have no intention to try to understand it. You're right; that is silly.

Quote:

Too bad you're running off. A few more back and forths and I think you would have had to chime in as another anon attacking me.

Unlike you, I will take the high road and not insult you as you have me.

Return to Top
#564225 - 06/15/06 09:08 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Well, if you want to get into semantics, that would be you do not know if it is impossible or possible.

If you want to get into semantics, that is not what you asked. You asked me if I thought it was impossible, not whether I thought it was possible or impossible.

Quote:

Putting aside that sublte distinction, if you admit context and intent are important, how could it be possible to cut verses out of context to demonstrate a religion's inherent violence?

Please explain how it would be possible, as cutting the verses removes the context and intent. Seems like these are opposite, no?

I never said anything about cutting verses out of context or without retaining their intent. I said that I did not know if it were impossible to prove a religion violent by cutting a verse or several verses. Did you ever consider that the entire context and intent could be contained in the verse or verses? I don't know if it is impossible (or possible) because I have never read the Koran. However, if it were possible, I'd assume it would be because the entire intent and context was contained within the verse or verses.

Return to Top
#564226 - 06/15/06 09:12 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, celebrating the death of an enemy soldier is wrong. However, Zarqawi was not an enemy soldier. He was a cold, calculated murderer of innocent men, women, and children. Celebrating the death of this murdering subhuman scum is wholly and entirely appropriate. It should be required to prove your patriotism. (Oh, I exaggerate.)

point, game, match

Return to Top
#564227 - 06/15/06 09:14 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

point, game, match

Perhaps in your mind.

Return to Top
#564228 - 06/15/06 09:16 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

point, game, match

Perhaps in your mind.

In all but about 2 or 3 minds in the cooler. Wanna put it to a poll?

Return to Top
#564229 - 06/15/06 09:18 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
A poll to prove what? How immature the entire situation has become? How there are a lot of people in here who under the cloak of anonymity are taking the opportunity to be extra vicious? I'll pass.

Return to Top
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10