BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Thread Options
#564080 - 06/08/06 06:23 PM Re: Zarqawi still dead
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into . . . gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

i thought that was premise of this entire thread. i'm gleeful.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#564081 - 06/08/06 06:26 PM Re: Zarqawi still dead
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful gleeful!

aaahhhh!

Return to Top
#564082 - 06/08/06 06:26 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

She was most certainly treated poorly. And here's a newsflash ... some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling or gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

grow up! she was not. rainman is one of the most thoughtful, insightful and deliberate posters here and i have NEVER seen him disrepect anyone. everyone of his posts to her have been asking her to back up what, to me, was a ridiculous, knee-jerk conspiracy claim. he wanted to see merit instead of partisanship.

why don't you go to another message board if you do not like this one?

I must have misunderstood the terms lazy and disingenuous. My bad. Shove it.

Return to Top
#564083 - 06/08/06 06:29 PM Re: Zarqawi still dead
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
There's a picture of him on Yahoo.com (at least there was this morning).
He DEFINITELY does NOT look gleeful.

Return to Top
#564084 - 06/08/06 06:29 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

he described her arguments (or lack thereof) or argumentation style that way.

Return to Top
#564085 - 06/08/06 06:31 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Madison, please don't judge the whole website by the Watercooler. If you need help on compliance issues or bank work questions, the other listings deliver, usually in a prompt, friendly and civil manner. It just seems that in the watercooler, people tend to forget their professionalism and tact, probably because the topics are not work related.

There are certain posters that I would call "contrarian", that is, they will disagree nastily with anything you have to say, just for shock value or because they have a mean streak. If any posters irritate you, don't answer them. Sometimes we get some real good discussions; but sometimes these discussions degenerate into name calling. That is when it is time to move on to another topic.

Remember, any one can make you angry if you let them. Don't let them.

Nanwa, I agree with you, but I disagree that Madison was treated uncivilly. She jumped into a political discussion. In my experience they are not for the feint at heart at the dinner table or on BOL. I don't think they should be used an opportunity to impune or insult, but I don't see where Madison was impuned or insulted.

She was most certainly treated poorly. And here's a newsflash ... some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling or gleefully celebrating the death of another individual.

OH, THE IRONY!!!

Return to Top
#564086 - 06/08/06 06:33 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

let's get off the self-centered discussions of our feelings here and get back to the subject of the thread.

Return to Top
#564087 - 06/08/06 06:34 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

Quote:

he described her arguments (or lack thereof) or argumentation style that way.

Agreed-the point was that if she was going to make the assertion that the gov't is corrupt, without saying why she feels that way, than the comment is disingenuous. I may not agree with why she thinks the gov't is corrupt, but lets hear why she thinks it is corrupt.

Return to Top
#564088 - 06/08/06 06:34 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

grow up! she was not. rainman is one of the most thoughtful, insightful and deliberate posters here and i have NEVER seen him disrepect anyone. everyone of his posts to her have been asking her to back up what, to me, was a ridiculous, knee-jerk conspiracy claim. he wanted to see merit instead of partisanship.

why don't you go to another message board if you do not like this one?

OH, THE CONTINUED IRONY!

Return to Top
#564089 - 06/08/06 06:35 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
SP said:

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling

but apparently not in response to:

Quote:

completely corrupt administration

Ironically, my posts seeking to move the discourse away from name calling has had the reverse effect. That is unfortunate.

Return to Top
#564090 - 06/08/06 06:37 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Thanks, Sweetpeas.
I think I may have gotten a little oversensitive this morning (new job and all).
For the record, when I was speaking to the nastiness of some of the responses, I wasn't just speaking about the response I got, but the ones that I have been reading in other threads over the past several days.
I guess I am confused about one thing, however (since I've been branded a 'liberal' who refuses to back up my supposed hate speech, which, if you knew me, is the funniest thing EVER). How come I'm getting all of this flack for not backing up my opinion, but the oh-so-eloquent Rainman hasn't been expected to do the same? Apparently, patronizing others by nit-picking one sentence and then bashing their character is called 'backing up your view', in this forum.
I'll try to remember that.

I really didn't mean to enter into a 'political' shouting match. I just wanted to try to enter into some of these threads. Thought I might have something in common with some of you, since we're all in the same profession and are surrounded by the same problems and frustrations.
'Newbie' mistake.

Return to Top
#564091 - 06/08/06 06:37 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

SP said:

Quote:

some boards have political discussions that don't degenerate into name calling

but apparently not in response to:

Quote:

completely corrupt administration

Ironically, my posts seeking to move the discourse away from name calling has had the reverse effect. That is unfortunate.

I don't think you honestly thought calling someone's comments hate speech was really going to move the discussion to a more positive level.

Return to Top
#564092 - 06/08/06 06:37 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
And the thread did not degenerate into "gleefully celebrating the death" of this terrorist scumbag-it started that way. Truth in advertising.

Return to Top
#564093 - 06/08/06 06:39 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

let's get off the self-centered discussions of our feelings here and get back to the subject of the thread.

Well said. To sum up:

Zarqawi still dead. Everyone happy for that outcome.

Zarqawi's death doesn't quell liberal disdain for Bush.

I think that pretty well covers it. Here's to hoping that Zarqawi's death weakens and disrupts the terrorists in Iraq and hastens the return of our troops.

Return to Top
#564094 - 06/08/06 06:48 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. and i'll toast to that and one dead terrorist!

Return to Top
#564095 - 06/08/06 06:52 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Well, that photo of him sure looks like he is dead. Or asleep. Or another guy, since I never met the man.

I will just have to take the media's word for it that it is him and he is dead.

Return to Top
#564096 - 06/08/06 06:59 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Well said. To sum up: Zarqawi still dead. Everyone happy for that outcome.

That may be inaccurate. There is one poster who, while promising to throw a party in the event of a joint Bush/Cheney suicide, is not pleased that some of us are happy that the US military has exterminated this vermin.

Return to Top
#564097 - 06/08/06 07:07 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
MadisonCali,

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down. Welcome to BOL. Just don't let them get to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J,

I'm not sad that he's dead. We reap what we sow. He went to war with the US and he lost. I just think this thread is really bad karma. When the Twin Towers fell and Arabs were celebrating the death of their enemy (the US) some of you clucked your tongues and called them barbarians. Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Return to Top
#564098 - 06/08/06 07:12 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

MadisonCali,

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down. Welcome to BOL. Just don't let them get to you.

Madison, I would not heed this plea to prejudge those who lean to the right in the cooler. Instead, just trust your own experiences.

Return to Top
#564099 - 06/08/06 07:13 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down.

Not so. Those on the right are routinely called out on these threads to justify their positions and to provide factual support for what they say. Those on the left should expect the same. You're all about equal treatment, right?

Return to Top
#564100 - 06/08/06 07:16 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Madison, beware! This is the opinion of a person who is trying to take you under her wing.

Return to Top
#564101 - 06/08/06 07:18 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

J,

I'm not sad that he's dead. We reap what we sow. He went to war with the US and he lost. I just think this thread is really bad karma.

If that is bad karma, how bad is it to promise to celebrate the death of a President?

Quote:

When the Twin Towers fell and Arabs were celebrating the death of their enemy (the US) some of you clucked your tongues and called them barbarians. Now the shoe is on the other foot and your behavior is no different (and no better).

Sweetie, apparently this is a difficult distinction, so I'll type s l o w... on 9/11, terrorists deliberately targeted civilians. Yesterday, we targeted a terrorist. They are not morally equivalent actions, and what is an appropriate reaction to the second is wholly inappropriate for the first. Got it?

Return to Top
#564102 - 06/08/06 07:21 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

If you are on the "right" side you can say anything you want. If you lean to the left of Pat Robertson you are going to get shouted down.

Not so. Those on the right are routinely called out on these threads to justify their positions and to provide factual support for what they say. Those on the left should expect the same. You're all about equal treatment, right?

Ah, Rainman, you have pierced my heart by rebutting me with the equal treatment argument. I will amend my theory to anon posters. Anyone to the left of Pat Robertson is shouted down by ANONs.

Return to Top
#564103 - 06/08/06 07:27 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
LOL.
I have noticed that.
I'll say this for Rainman, et al...
At least they own up to everything they're saying, nasty or not
Bravo to them for that!

Return to Top
#564104 - 06/08/06 07:29 PM Re: Zarqawi killed in airstrike - good news!
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
J is right on-a big difference between targeting a terrorist and his compadres and murdering 3000+ innocent civilians.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10