Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#564511 - 06/08/06 06:48 PM Auditing HMDA Data
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
We are a first time HMDA reporter. If you were going to audit the HMDA data, what would you look at? Any help is appreciated.

Return to Top
Audit
#564512 - 06/08/06 07:30 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Do you have the HMDA input worksheet?
I just started my first one, too, and using those worksheets and the 'HMDA Reporting..Getting it Right' book that I found on some link on BOL is helping.
I think

Return to Top
#564513 - 06/08/06 08:18 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast

Return to Top
#564514 - 06/08/06 08:24 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
dgp Offline
100 Club
The bank I work for first completes a HMDA entry log or worksheet. This info comes straight from the loan app. Monthly, this info is keyed to the HMDA LAR. My review consists of rechecking the info noted on the log or worksheet back to the loan app. for overall accuracy. Then when the HMDA LAR is updated, I compare the info from the log or worksheet back to the LAR to make sure the info has been keyed correctly to the LAR.

Return to Top
#564515 - 06/10/06 02:22 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
hawkfan Offline
First we get the HMDA LAR's completed each quarter from our branches. There are some quick checks you can look at for all the data. A couple easy ones like...

-If Lien Status = 2, then Rate Spread has to be great than 5 to be listed.
-If loan purpose is other than a 1 (home purchase), then preapproval code should be 3 (n/a).
-If customer is not a natural person (i.e. corporation, LLC), then the ethnicity-race-sex and income can be n/a.

I am typing this trying to remember them in my head, but I am pretty sure these are the right codes/fields. We then select a sample of loans from each branch/loan officer and look through file to make sure all the information was inputted correctly. We began this last year and it is working out well. We can then identify common mistakes and inform all loan officers of common mistakes to look for.

Return to Top
#564516 - 06/12/06 05:00 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
First, do you use a loan system like Loan Producer? If so, it will produce a LAR that you can download directly into the HMDA Data Entry System. This eliminates both the need for doing each entry seperately AND the errors that can occur.

Second, line by line analysis comparing codes is really hard. And if your LAR is at all large, crossed eyes will undoutedly lead to missed errors.

Excel pivot tables are the answer. They allow you to isolate one field and compare it against another quickly and accurately. Any errors are instantly identifiable and so are the files that contain them.

Search pivot tables and my user name over the last year or two for more information. If you'd like help setting them up, feel free to pm me.

Return to Top
#564517 - 06/12/06 05:11 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Please explain pivot tables.

Return to Top
#564518 - 06/12/06 06:15 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
sue's mom, here's one example of posts that explain pivot tables you can find by searching the lending forum using 'pivot' for your search word. I'm hooked so I've made several posts advocating their use!

I also googled excel pivot and came up with a number of good sites that explain the how and why's of pivot tables. This site even has a demo you can watch. Scroll down on the right and look for pivot table heading, then click on pivot table demo.

If you'd like help setting up a pivot table for either editing or analyzing your HMDA data, feel free to pm me.

Return to Top
#564519 - 06/13/06 03:00 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
Thanks for the info. I'll have to try these new tools.

Return to Top
#564520 - 06/14/06 12:52 PM Re: Auditing HMDA Data
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am doing an HMDA data review now... I just hate it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z