Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#564972 - 06/09/06 04:15 PM CTR Brochure
lfsummers Offline
New Poster
Our bank has been placing brochures in the lobby that explain CTR guidelines- why we do it, what the monetary threshhold is, etc. I feel a little uneasy about this information being so readily available to the public. I realize that it is public information, but I think the brochures give so much information that it would be easy for a customer to figure out how to structure. Any thoughts..... Please advise. Thanks!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#564973 - 06/09/06 04:49 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
We keep them behind the teller line and only give them out if a customer has a question about the reporting limits, or we suspect a customer is structuring. We point out the section that says "Structuring is illegal".

Return to Top
#564974 - 06/09/06 05:07 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
i have always been told nto to educate the customer on CTR reporting limits for the very reason that it encourages them to avoid reporting. the bank i am at now has a section on ctrs and structuring in the accoutn disclosure, and i feel it shoudl be taken out. yes, the information is available on the web, but we dont need to give them more info than they need. just liek infomration on SAR's in available online, but we dont tell the customer about them!

Return to Top
#564975 - 06/09/06 06:05 PM Re: CTR Brochure
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The reason that banks provide written information on CTR filings is that it avoids the problem of employees trying to explain the rules. Written information conveys a consistent message, and there is less chance that someone will step over the line and say, "But I can tell you how to avoid all this hassle." Regulators have consistently given "thumbs up" to the brochures that are commercially available from companies like Profit Protection, Inc.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#564976 - 06/09/06 06:09 PM Re: CTR Brochure
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Does anybody know where I could get an example of a brochure? Or a good company they recommend ordering from? I just got to this bank and they have nothing, anywhere. My last bank discontinued the brochure they were using, and I thought that was a poor choice.
Thanks!

Return to Top
#564977 - 06/09/06 06:11 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Like John stated in the previous post, Profit Protection, Inc. Look them up on the Internet. That's where my prior employer purchased theirs.

Return to Top
#564978 - 06/09/06 06:12 PM Re: CTR Brochure
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Sorry...missed the company name on the end.
Thanks.

Return to Top
#564979 - 06/09/06 06:13 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Here is the successor organization to Profit Protection.

Return to Top
#564980 - 06/09/06 06:25 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Pinkie CRCM Offline
Gold Star
KY
Their website is being difficult. Click here and then on the top 10 products on the left. Document is titled "Currency Transaction Reports and Cash Purchases of Negotiable Instruments - Facts You Should Know."

Return to Top
#564981 - 06/09/06 06:44 PM Re: CTR Brochure
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
They also sell them in Spanish, which could come in handy in some markets.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z