Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#567714 - 06/15/06 01:01 PM High School Banks
Whodunnit? Offline
I am looking for guidance (and/or audit procedures) for a bank in the local high school that our institution sponsors? It's ran by the students with a faculty advisor. Anyone else have similar situations??

Return to Top
Audit
#567715 - 06/15/06 01:21 PM Re: High School Banks
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We do. We audit them just like one of our other branches on a quarterly basis. We use the same workpapers even though they may not offer all of the services that traditional branches offer (travelers checks).

Return to Top
#567716 - 06/16/06 08:27 PM Re: High School Banks
SouthernComfort Offline
Platinum Poster
Southern Illinois, USA
Are you saying that you have a branch office in the local high school ran by students? How's that work? I have never heard of this before.

Return to Top
#567717 - 06/16/06 08:33 PM Re: High School Banks
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Yes, they are out there. We have an institution near us that has one in the local high school. It's kind of a novel idea that is well received. They won't offer all the services a full-service branch offers, but most of the deposit ones.

Return to Top
#567718 - 06/16/06 08:48 PM Re: High School Banks
butercup Offline
butercup
Our bank was considering doing this as well, but we could not find much guidance for getting this started. We were told we would have to file for another branch in order to do this. What did your regulators make you do to have this "branch".

Return to Top
#567719 - 06/19/06 12:53 PM Re: High School Banks
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

Are you saying that you have a branch office in the local high school ran by students? How's that work? I have never heard of this before.

Yes, we have a branch, with a small vault and a night drop located in a local high school. We have a bank employee as the supervisor and the students work as tellers, etc in exchange for school credit (instead of their study period). It's not open to the public but a lot of teachers, students, etc bank here. The school branch also runs the student savings account program in all the local elem. schools. We've had for about 15-16 years now. It's a good community thing. I don't recall what was required to open it, I wasn't here at the time and it's been a while.It's a great program, the students generally work here during the summer and on college breaks. Some of them even come back to work here after they graduate and work full-time.

Return to Top
#567720 - 07/14/06 03:14 PM Re: High School Banks
Whodunnit? Offline
How do you actually audit the high school bank though? You couldn't really use the same guidelines as an actual bank?!?!?

Return to Top
#567721 - 07/14/06 07:43 PM Re: High School Banks
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Yes we do use the same work papers although I'll admit that a lot of the items aren't applicable (ex. they don't sell money orders and bank checks) and it's a real watered down audit. So you'd have to monitor cash, check security, ensure proper signage is there, those types of things.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z