BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#567961 - 06/15/06 07:35 PM Hadji Girl
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Anybody familiar with this? Anybody see the video? Anybody have anything intelligent to say about it???

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060614/ap_on_re_us/iraq_marine_video

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#567962 - 06/15/06 07:39 PM Re: Hadji Girl
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know that I'm going to take the heat on this comment. But as much as I can see that the video is very inappropriate, I can really see why and how this happened. I'm married to a former marine. And when guys get together, especially after an event like what they have been through, I can see them making fun or light of their situation and blowing off steam by doing this video. I'm sure they never intended to have it seen publicly.

Return to Top
#567963 - 06/15/06 07:41 PM Re: Hadji Girl
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it was a bad decision and bad timing. I joke that went why out of control because someone made a stupid decision to broadcast it.

Return to Top
#567964 - 06/15/06 07:44 PM Re: Hadji Girl
Anonymous
Unregistered

He's a 23 year old kid on active duty in Iraq and made an in appropriate song that was posted to the internet. He's apologized and the family accepted the apology. I hope it ends with that.

I can't speak for this GI, obviously, but at 23 my viewpoint on humor was kind of dark. I think this tapers off as you mature. But at 23 you really don't think about extraneous forces and I have to think he did not believe many other people outside of his unit would hear it. And if you've spent the last 12 months of your life in combat, you're going to have quite a lot of gallows-humor going on in your life.

Just my $.02.

Suzy

Return to Top
#567965 - 06/15/06 08:15 PM Re: Hadji Girl
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Isn't this just Freedom of Speech?

Return to Top
#567966 - 06/15/06 09:15 PM Re: Hadji Girl
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
Sure it's freedom of speech, but just because you can say something hurtful and insensitive doesn't mean you should.

Return to Top
#567967 - 06/15/06 09:25 PM Re: Hadji Girl
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
It is bad judgement, but it is Freedom of Speech. Put that video right next to a video of a hostage being beheaded, and tell me how horrific that Marine's video really is. A 23 year old in the center of horrible combat got talked into doing something he shouldn't have, which was offensive but didn't hurt anyone - let's spend millions on a Congressional investigation. (yes, that's sarcasm)

Return to Top
#567968 - 06/15/06 09:42 PM Re: Hadji Girl
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
I hate to say this, but you should see some of the other videos out there that haven’t made their way past military hands. I have seen some of them, and let me tell you, they are NOT politically correct. Who are we to determine what is funny and what isn’t? Especially as we sit back in our office chairs, in our air-conditioned buildings where our biggest fear to our physical safety is the commute home where the idiot on the cell phone in the car in front of us doesn’t pay attention to the road. I think that under certain circumstances, we survive using whatever humor we can find.

Return to Top
#567969 - 06/28/06 02:23 AM Re: Hadji Girl
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
"HADJI GIRL" MARINE: EXONERATED

By Michelle Malkin · June 27, 2006 02:41 PM

I talked last night with Marine Josh Belile, who was targeted by the Haditha exploiters at CAIR for a satirical song he sang to the troops. He has been exonerated and asked me to post his statement:

It's good to be able to breathe again. I have had a lot of support since this all began, and I want everyone to know that I've read every e-mail, and every message that came my way, and out of nearly 1300 messages, I had one single message that was negative. I can definitely say that this could have been a blessing in disguise. Before this all began, not many people knew of my band, The Sweater Kittenz... and we just played a concert at the largest venue in my local area this past Friday.
Judging from the many e-mails I recieved over the past week and a half, many people seem to have felt that I didn't have alot of support coming from the upper brass on the "Hadji Girl" situation. I can definitely say that I had plenty of supporters, military and civilian. Although I was reprimanded for performing such a song while in uniform, my rights as an American, to include the first ammendment, have not been compromised, and as long as I am not performing as a U.S. military representative... to put it bluntly, I can sing whatever I want. I told Chris Mazzolini (spelling?) from the Jacksonville Daily news that I was sorry for any feelings hurt in the Muslim community, and that fact remains true...My intentions were never to hurt or offend anyone, but as an entertainer, and songwriter...I now know that I am perfectly within my legal rights to compose and perform my thoughts as long as I am not doing so in a fashion that would represent the thoughts or opinions of the U.S. military, or our government.

I want to thank each and every person who has supported me during this... there are far too many people to list, you know who you are. If you sent me a message, I read it, and I am appreciative. I am leaving my myspace site open and viewable by the public, if you want to share your thoughts, good or bad, please feel free at www.myspace.com/zelph99. I am planning on recording and releasing a professionally produced and engineered version of "Hadji Girl" which will be aired on the Mike Church show, and will be available for sale through their web site within the coming weeks. I have decided to take this step to show that I am in full support of every American's right his or her own freedom of speech, military or civilian... to include my own. As long as I am representing only myself and my thoughts and opinions I am within my legal rights as an American.

If you don't want to listen to my music, I'm sure your volume knob works as well as mine.

I have a feeling Josh and his band will be getting a lot of invitations to speak and perform. (I think the band would be a great addition to the Freedom Concert Series!)

Support the troops: Hire the Sweater Kittenz!

Take that, CAIR.

Return to Top