Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#571984 - 06/22/06 02:51 PM Hmda-Purchase or Home Improvement?
laf0915 Offline
100 Club
Our bank recently wrote a construction loan into permanent financing. The loan was originally for the purpose of doing extensive remodeling to an existing home including adding on a 3rd story. Original home was purchased for $130,000. Customers put about $600,000 into the project. Would this be reported as home improvement regardless of the $ amount of improvements. The $ amount is making me question whether it should be a purchase instead.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#571985 - 06/22/06 02:58 PM Re: Hmda-Purchase or Home Improvement?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

The loan was originally for the purpose of doing extensive remodeling to an existing home including adding on a 3rd story. Original home was purchased for $130,000.

Was a portion of your original "construction loan" to purchase the property? If so then you have a home purchase. If the borrower already owned the home and your "construction loan" was for the remodeling, you have a home improvement loan.

Return to Top
#571986 - 08/18/06 07:02 PM Re: Hmda-Purchase or Home Improvement?
Glendle Offline
New Poster
If the original loan (construction) did not include funds towards the purchase of the property, then won't the take out or perm financing of the construction loan be a refinance (vs. HI)?
I was under the impression refinance of home improvement was still refinance - in reviewing the def'n in Getting It Right, I think that is correct but never 100% on anything.

Return to Top
#571987 - 08/18/06 07:14 PM Re: HMDA-Purchase or Home Improvement?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This will depend on your procedures. For us we would approve this as a HI const/perm loan and report it as a HI loan when it went to permanent financing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z