Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#574196 - 06/26/06 05:09 PM Our Name & Logo on ATM for Fee
JeffB Offline
100 Club
NC - On the Coast
Is this common? We are small bank (7 branches). There is a company that services and maintains ATM and installing them in local convenience stores. I am told that they are offering to put our bank name and log on the machines and will allow our customers to use the ATMs at no charge. We would pay the services $50 per month for this.

I am concerned about the liabilities we might have with this. We would not own the machines. What happens if someone losses money, they would come to us. What other concerns should I have? Maybe this is more of a legal issue.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#574197 - 06/27/06 07:10 PM Re: Our Name & Logo on ATM for Fee
Banking Bard Offline
100 Club
Kentucky
I'm not sure about legal liability, but having your name on the machine is going to create expectations for those who use it.

As you indicated, if the machine fails to dispense, or someone disputes the amount, timing, or existence of a deposit at that machine, they'll come to you expecting you to have full access to it to settle the issue. If the service company charges you for this, that may begin to add up fast.

Likewise, if your state passes any specific laws concering ATMs (i.e. the panic button laws) may result in your bank being involved in any litigation involving it. Also, any law enforcement that wishes access to ATM footage may come to your bank rather than the vendor.

I can see this causing you a lot of headaches if you don't own the machine. On the bright side, lack of ATM fees is a good sales/customer service point. Of course, if they can offer that option without the name, then it might be worth looking into.

Return to Top