Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#579132 - 07/05/06 02:51 PM ? for you Texans
gillysgrl Offline
100 Club
gillysgrl
Oklahoma
I went to a wedding last weekend in Texas. On the LONG drive home my husband and I were caught a little off guard when we would pull up behind someone driving slower on the highway, they would drive in the shoulder to allow us to pass. This happened several times and I was just wondering if this is a Texas thing, or maybe just the area we were in. It was actually pretty convenient, since most of the 2 lane highway was marked as a no passing zone. Anyone else ever experienced this??

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#579133 - 07/05/06 02:54 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
We run accross this all the time in Wisconsin and Florida. Usually, the driver is a little older, is in no rush to get where they are going, and wants to enjoy a little drive.

My elderly in-laws used to look forward to "going for a drive" each weekend, just to get out of the house and enjoy the scenery.

Return to Top
#579134 - 07/05/06 03:01 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
It happens quite a bit in Oklahoma too.

Return to Top
#579135 - 07/05/06 03:02 PM Re: ? for you Texans
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
That's not uncommon here - since Texas is such a huge state and you might do some long trips here - it's a common courtesy, when there is a paved shoulder to move to the right to allow other vehicles to pass.

It's easy to tell the Texas Transplants - they won't get over. Just a way to make each other's life a little easier.

The other part of this is, when you pass the slower motorist, give an acknowledgement of their kindness - a wave, a flash of the hazard lights, etc.

Hope you enjoyed your visit here!

Return to Top
#579136 - 07/05/06 03:03 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
I'm from Texas and this always happens. I think it's our way of being respectful to the driver behind us. The majority use the shoulder lane as long as they are clear so the cars behind can get around and not pile up because like ya mentioned we've a lot of 2 lane highways.

Now what is stupid to me... is those that use the shoulder lane to pass.

Return to Top
#579137 - 07/05/06 03:03 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

i believe in chicago they use bunp drafting to get you out of the way

Return to Top
#579138 - 07/05/06 03:08 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

unbelievable! texas actually has something going for it now.

Return to Top
#579139 - 07/05/06 03:08 PM Re: ? for you Texans
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I see it in Northern NH alot on the 2 lane "highways"

Return to Top
#579140 - 07/05/06 03:31 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Yeah, we do that a lot around here. The vehicle passing usually says thanks by flashing their hazards once they have passed the vehicle.

Return to Top
#579141 - 07/05/06 03:37 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Peepers Offline
10K Club
This thread may lead me to re-think my driving habits.

I thought speeding up and slowing down to tick off the driver tailgating you was the norm.

Return to Top
#579142 - 07/05/06 03:39 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Usually, the driver is a little older, is in no rush to get where they are going, and wants to enjoy a little drive.

Or just tired of tailgaters. I pull to the right just to get them off my a$$. I'm not doing it to be nice, but I'll take the credit.

Return to Top
#579143 - 07/06/06 06:56 AM Re: ? for you Texans
stoked Offline
100 Club
stoked
inside
Why don't Texans extend that courtesy when they travel out of state? They are the worst for sightseeing and driving during "rush hour" here and always in the left lane.
Last edited by stoked; 07/06/06 06:58 AM.
Return to Top
#579144 - 07/06/06 07:19 PM Re: ? for you Texans
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
My daughter lives in Abilene and she was pretty surprised and happy that they do pull over out there.

Return to Top
#579145 - 07/07/06 02:46 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Quote:

Why don't Texans extend that courtesy when they travel out of state? They are the worst for sightseeing and driving during "rush hour" here and always in the left lane.

Tell me what state you are in "Stoked" and I will definitely make sure that when I visit I will drive in the left hand lane directly in front of you.

Not all "worst" drivers are from the great state of Texas! Maybe you should slow down a little and enjoy life a little more and not be in such a hurry to get to where you are going.

Return to Top
#579146 - 07/07/06 03:11 PM Re: ? for you Texans
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
My experience is that the worse drivers are in Florida, but maybe it's just all those 5 ft. tall 80 year olds struggling to see over the steering wheels of their big old white Cadillacs.

Return to Top
#579147 - 07/07/06 03:21 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep.. Floridiots seem to be the worst. After Orlando, my nerves were shot. (And I can drive in Atlanta like a pro!) They should just rip I-4 out.. make life a little more miserable for the tourists in Florida that's why its' so bad... Floridians are sick of tourists.

Return to Top
#579148 - 07/07/06 04:07 PM Re: ? for you Texans
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
I found the drivers in Boston to be semi-crazed and apt to go careening from lane to lane on quasi-random whims.

Return to Top
#579149 - 07/07/06 05:23 PM Re: ? for you Texans
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Floridians are sick of tourists.

That's like saying New Yorkers are sick of tall buildings -- then move.

Return to Top
#579150 - 07/07/06 05:24 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did.

Return to Top
#579151 - 07/07/06 05:35 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
If Florida didn't have tourists, what industry would support the state? Orange juice? Not enough, and it gets hurt more as each hurricane season wipes out more orchards. Fishing? Not with the price of gas and that the fishermen must go miles further out each year to catch anything. Boating, swimming and diving? Nope, need tourists for that. Theme parks? Oh yeah, no tourists. Restaurants, shopping, no, no, NO TOURISTS.

Return to Top
#579152 - 07/07/06 05:37 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Beeeeeeeeef!

I remember sitting between rows strawberries as a kid eating more than I was picking. Ruined a lot of clothes doing that.

Return to Top
#579153 - 07/07/06 05:39 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
too funny Nanwa! What was that ladies name that did the OJ commercials back in the 70's? Its right on the tip of my tongue...

Return to Top
#579154 - 07/07/06 05:44 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Beef? You gotta be kidding! Those scrawny animals? They can't put on any weight in that heat!

And Plant City strawberries are highly overratted. Unless, of course, you pick your own. Then they let them get ripe enough to get sweet. But the stuff they package for the grocery stores are unripe and sour.

Return to Top
#579155 - 07/07/06 06:57 PM Re: ? for you Texans
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Quote:

too funny Nanwa! What was that ladies name that did the OJ commercials back in the 70's? Its right on the tip of my tongue...

It was Anita Bryant!!!!

Return to Top
#579156 - 07/07/06 07:45 PM Re: ? for you Texans
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Quote:

Beef? You gotta be kidding! Those scrawny animals? They can't put on any weight in that heat!

And Plant City strawberries are highly overratted. Unless, of course, you pick your own. Then they let them get ripe enough to get sweet. But the stuff they package for the grocery stores are unripe and sour.

That's why the beef is so LEAN in Florida. Lean is a *good* thing.
And when they open the strawberry fields is the only time to go. Pick waaay too many and freeze them. They make the best freezer jam.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2