Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#581686 - 07/10/06 09:37 PM sending a check for collection
E Woodruff Offline
New Poster
We are seeing an increase in fraud on checks from Canada. Can anyone tell me whether the funds would be guaranteed if we sent the item for collection, or could the check still be later returned as counterfeit, etc?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#581687 - 07/11/06 12:58 PM Re: sending a check for collection
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Quote:

We are seeing an increase in fraud on checks from Canada. Can anyone tell me whether the funds would be guaranteed if we sent the item for collection, or could the check still be later returned as counterfeit, etc?

Funds are not guaranteed and it could still be returned as counterfeit - however, the benefit to your institution is that you have not given your customer credit for the item - until you receive payment from the Canadian Bank - when dealing with international items, collection processing is the only way to go, IMHO.
If you don't receive credit, or you receive notice from the Canadian bank of a fraudulent item, you simply notify your customer - since you've not given them credit, there is nothing to debit, no collection process if they've used the funds, etc!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett