Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#582952 - 07/13/06 04:18 PM Online Training
Rooster Offline
I am new to an organization that utilizes online training. At my previous organization we were fortunate enough to have experts come in twice a year to discuss deposit & lending regs. I would appreciate some feedback on what others require for annual online training. My proposal for those on the lending side includes training on the following:Reg B, HMDA, Flood, Reg Z, RESPA, FCRA, CRA, BSA, Privacy, as well as some other areas such as PMI, Credit Practice Rule, etc. For the deposit side: BSA, Reg CC, Reg E, Reg DD, Regs D&Q. Does this seem reasonable to have them train on all of these annually? I know annual training is not required on all of these regs, but it is highly recommended and I feel that the more training the better, but would like hear what others are requiring annually of their employees. It is currently a very unorganized process to put it nicely. My plan is to ultimately have compliance training requirements set in place for each job description; however, we do not even have job descriptions in place so this is defintely a work-in-progress. Any input would be greatly appreciated--thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#582953 - 07/13/06 04:27 PM Re: Online Training
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
What is your position at the bank?

Return to Top
#582954 - 07/13/06 05:40 PM Re: Online Training
Rooster Offline
I am the compliance officer here--they have never had a full-time compliance person before. Our HR dept was in charge of handling the training and no direction was given to employees and managers about what courses to take, so that is why I am now getting involved to make sure our employees are trained properly.

Return to Top
#582955 - 07/13/06 06:56 PM Re: Online Training
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
The training you listed only covers regulations. Though that is important, it will not aid you in being able to foreclose on the collateral or protect the banks priority. In other words you may make the compliance examiner happy, but may lose the collateral. Since your area is compliance you do not need the other training, however, some in the bank will.

Return to Top
#582956 - 07/13/06 07:22 PM Re: Online Training
Rooster Offline
Thanks for the info--that is why I plan to meet with the managers in the various areas to see what additional training they would like to see their employees have. The online courses do provide a variety of classes that are not geared toward compliance. My problem is that they were only taking those classes and in some cases no compliance classes.

Return to Top
#582957 - 07/13/06 08:29 PM Re: Online Training
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Rooster, I don't know what courses you have available, but we also required fraud related type of courses on-line annually - ID theft, precept calling, etc. We also have security courses on line - what to do during a robbery. There's also privacy training.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#582958 - 07/13/06 08:38 PM Re: Online Training
samsara Offline
100 Club
New York
I was in the same situation a few years ago. Compliance was only part of my job so I couldn't devote full-time to training. I gave out a large comprehensive list of online courses the first year, but did not feel I could ask the staff to complete the same online courses again the second year. In year two, I used the large list as the "Basic" courses, and added a smaller number of different training types as refreshers for those who had already completed the comprehensive list. I also developed some in-house refreshers to use for "train the trainer" on areas that are particularly important for frequent training like BSA and Fair Lending. A few of our managers handle certain parts of the annual compliance training, like Security and IT/Information Security.

Your bank's staff may be receptive to repeating online courses on all the regs, but I knew mine would not be. My method has resulted in great participation and we are very happy with our compliance exam results.

Return to Top
#582959 - 07/14/06 03:05 PM Re: Online Training
SavannahOne Offline
Diamond Poster
Georgia
Rooster - who's your vendor?

Return to Top
#582960 - 07/14/06 04:03 PM Re: Online Training
Rooster Offline
We will have had BVS for two years this January and I am looking into switching vendors as I don't want the employees to have to repeat courses.

Return to Top
#582961 - 07/14/06 04:25 PM Re: Online Training
Ice Man Offline
Gold Star
Texas
We have a one person Compliance Department...which is me.

I use Digital University for training. Our examiners (for the past 5 years) are fine with it and it is inexpensively priced per year. I would recommend it as a supplement to your training.

Return to Top
#582962 - 07/14/06 05:14 PM Re: Online Training
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
We use BVS. Why don't you just use the content editor to spruce up the repeated courses? I add heavily to the content with internal policies and procedures.

Return to Top
#582963 - 07/14/06 05:42 PM Re: Online Training
marybrewster Offline
100 Club
marybrewster
Performing on a stage somewher...
We use DigitU as well. You'll find that the courses are easy to follow, and you have the option of using an 'open book' test or a 'closed book' test. At the beginning of the year our BSA officer gives us a list of required courses that we must take by the year end, then breaks those down into certain sections that must be completed by specific dates.

In addition to the ones you have mentioned above, the tellers also take a CTR/hold course yearly, that specifically shows them how a CTR is completed, and how hold slips need to be filled out.
Last edited by marybrewster; 07/14/06 05:43 PM.

Return to Top
#582964 - 07/14/06 08:36 PM Re: Online Training
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
We use Bankers Training & Consulting. They are much less expensive than BVS. We are in our second year with them and are very satisfied. I require all employees to complete the 5 required compliance courses each year: Bank Security, Privacy, Information Security, Reg CC and BSA. They have several BSA courses, so I assign the appropriate course for the employee's role in BSA. I meet with the teller supervisor, SVP of Lending, operations officer and we pick the remaining courses for the year. We are a $150M bank with 44 FTE's. We use 30 courses for the year. Bankers Training is very easy to use and reasonably priced.

Return to Top
#582965 - 07/14/06 09:00 PM Re: Online Training
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Rooster,

If you have BVS, send me an email and I'll send you the course schedule I use for all our different positions in the bank.

Return to Top