Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#583158 - 07/13/06 08:58 PM Elder Financial Abuse
wanted Offline
wanted
United States
In states outside of California, What needs to be done about the Financial Elder Abuse Reporting ACT? There seems to training stating plans, policies & procedures need to be developed. Will this need to comprehensive or can it be brief?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#583159 - 07/14/06 07:03 PM Re: Elder Financial Abuse
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
As I understand it, these laws are still state-specific. The major difference seems to be between the California version and the Oregon version. California requires reporting of suspected abuse & penalizes the failure to report; while Oregon makes reporting voluntary & provides safe haven for banks reporting in error. (This is admittedly oversimplification...)

We're studying this closely in Michigan, as some yahoo has introduced the California model to the legislature. Bankers in the state much prefer the protections in Oregon's model.

Has your state passed legislation on this yet?

Return to Top
#583160 - 07/14/06 07:51 PM Re: Elder Financial Abuse
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As Bartman indicates, this is state specific. In Kentucky there is a general requirement that financial abuse of the elderly be reported. However, there is no specific mention of banks. In Florida, there is a specific requirement to report that mentions banks, but I'm not aware of any penalty provisions for failure to report.

Clearly, it's a significant issue. It's an effort that banks are generally willing to support, but it's the "Oregon" mechanism Bart describes that makes the most sense.

Return to Top
#583161 - 07/17/06 05:42 PM Re: Elder Financial Abuse
wanted Offline
wanted
United States
Our state has not passed legislation on this yet. What do we do if we have an elderly customer who has an account at our bank and resides in CA and has reported to us they have been scammed? Do we report to the Adult Protective Services (APS)? Our bank is not close to CA.

Return to Top
#583162 - 07/17/06 05:50 PM Re: Elder Financial Abuse
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
BOL included this link in this morning's email briefing. It indicates that you need a policy if you have customers in California - whether you have a physical presence there or not. I'm hearing the same thing from a colleague at a Michigan bank that has CA offices.

Return to Top
#583163 - 07/18/06 11:46 AM Re: Elder Financial Abuse
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Please consider that the link is to a paid advertisement and is not supported by any citation to authority.

The law governs California financial institutions, not Californians. Clearly, a bank with a California presence must comply with California law. Banks without a California presence are not governed by California law. The simple issue of jurisdiction would outweigh any contrary language in a statute. However, I don't believe there is any contrary language in this statute.

In ancient Rome a Roman citizen carried the protections of Roman citizenship with him in his travels across the known world. The same analysis does not apply to Californians today.

Return to Top