Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#584627 - 07/17/06 07:41 PM POD Accounts
jkh2020 Offline
New Poster
Is there an issue with having multiple beneficiaries listed on a POD account? Our signature card permits it but I have material from a seminar I attended awhile back that suggests you contact legal counsel on this issue. I am drawing a blank on this..........

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#584628 - 07/17/06 10:53 PM Re: POD Accounts
JustASquirrellTryinToGetANut Offline
Not any issues that I know of.

But here is something to consider.

If you have customers that are concerned enough (to want several POD's) about the disbursing of their monies, you may want to have a trust officer or estate planner meet with your customer. If your bank offers trust services it sounds to me like they would be a good candidate. (I am assuming they are "seasoned" and have strong deposits with your bank)

If you are licensed to sell fixed annuities this may be an option you could explore with them as well. Remind them that under current tax laws if they are wanting to pass on funds to their beneficiaries: received death benefits from life policies are not (usually) taxable like proceeds from a CD or other bank product are. If you are not licensed then have them meet with a financial consultant if your bank offers these services brokered through another company.

Sorry for the long response but I would be asking more questions and thinking of possible sales opportunities to meet their needs. I always look through POD marketing lists for potential life insurance and fixed annuity candidates.

Hope this helps!

Return to Top
#584629 - 07/18/06 01:03 PM Re: POD Accounts
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
You might also disclose that funds payable to account beneficiaries will be equally split - 50-50, 33-33-33, etc - keeping you out of the "Mom said I was to get half and split the rest with the other 4" conversations.

Return to Top
#584630 - 07/18/06 01:14 PM Re: POD Accounts
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You also need to take state laws into account. Find out whether your state's rules permit the designation of multiple beneficiaries on a single account.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett