Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#584644 - 07/17/06 07:54 PM Exempt person question?
Runreb Offline
Gold Star
Runreb
Is a CTR required to be filed when a deposit is made on behalf of an insurance company (which is a bank subsidiary) into a bank account?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#584645 - 07/17/06 08:15 PM Re: Exempt person question?
Skyline Offline
Platinum Poster
Skyline
I'm having trouble understanding how cash is involved in a deposit between the insurance company and the bank.

Return to Top
#584646 - 07/18/06 07:02 PM Re: Exempt person question?
Runreb Offline
Gold Star
Runreb
From time to time customers will pay insurance premiums in cash to our insurance co. sub., then, deposit the cash into their account at the bank. My question would the transaction be exempt since it is a sub. of the bank? thanks

Return to Top
#584647 - 07/18/06 08:53 PM Re: Exempt person question?
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Our insurance agents are prohibited from accepting cash payments.

Return to Top
#584648 - 07/19/06 12:05 PM Re: Exempt person question?
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'll borrow a suggestion from another post about exemptions. Consider the number of CTRs you are likely to have to file on this company and compare it to the aggravation of establishing, nurturing, and attending to the exemption. While the minimum filing activity level for a Phase II exemption is set by FinCEN at 8 per year, I suggest that it's hard to find any payback on such an exemption until the activity level is more than one a week.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#584649 - 07/19/06 01:11 PM Re: Exempt person question?
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
I confess I am having difficulty finding the criteria of 8 in the regulations. Is this somewhere else, e.g. commentary, or am I just missing it in the CFR? I would very much appreciate the specific reference in the regulation or commentary that states 8/year for renewing a Phase II exemption.

Return to Top
#584650 - 07/19/06 01:24 PM Re: Exempt person question?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Hey, if they start putting everything in the regulations that would leave old duffers like John & me with no aid to offer to others and would deny you the challenge of the hunt!

Guidance on "Frequently"

Return to Top
#584651 - 07/19/06 01:45 PM Re: Exempt person question?
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the reference.

Return to Top
#584652 - 11/08/06 08:24 PM Re: Exempt person question?
mobdiaz Offline
I have a similar question, I think. With regard to my bank's operations, do I report the transactions in cash for CTR purposes? Or in other words, are my institution's operational accounts inherently exempt, i.e. the bank does not report itself, or do I need to exempt it?

Example:

Our institution receives cash credit card payments which are handled by our credit card department. At the end of every day a global cash deposit is made to the credit card department's operational account held at the bank. Do I report in a CTR the cash received into the operational account? Do I exempt the credit card department (the bank itself)?

If the credit card department is a wholely-owned subsidiary does the answer change?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Return to Top
#584653 - 11/08/06 08:50 PM Re: Exempt person question?
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If the bank received more than $10,00 in cash for payment on behalf of a credit card customer, a CTR would be filed on the customer. Internal cash transfers are not reportable. I.E., you don't report the main vault when they sell cash to a branch.

If they are a wholely owned sub, I do not believe that changes anything. If they are true affiliate, you could exempt them under Phase I if the affiliate was a bank as defined in 31 CFR 103.11(c).

Return to Top
#584654 - 11/10/06 08:14 PM Re: Exempt person question?
Pinkie CRCM Offline
Gold Star
KY
Quote:

aggravation of establishing, nurturing, and attending to

"...personnel to complete the forms". This is exactly my argument FOR CTR exemptions.

Return to Top
#584655 - 11/13/06 12:44 AM Re: Exempt person question?
mobdiaz Offline
Quote:

If the bank received more than $10,00 in cash for payment on behalf of a credit card customer, a CTR would be filed on the customer. Internal cash transfers are not reportable. I.E., you don't report the main vault when they sell cash to a branch.

If they are a wholely owned sub, I do not believe that changes anything. If they are true affiliate, you could exempt them under Phase I if the affiliate was a bank as defined in 31 CFR 103.11(c).

Just to be sure, I do have to formally exempt a wholely owned subsidiary. I cannot just not report the cash as part of the bank's operations. Also do you have a citation for the part about not reporting the vault transactions?

Thanks!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z