Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#586743 - 07/21/06 03:53 PM Accountability for not following procedures
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
Looking for some ideas to update action taken if procedures are not followed. Specifically, I’m looking at the way we do “deposit review” a process where high (<$25k) dollar checks are looked at and we try to verify availability of funds, etc. If a teller follows procedures should they have any accountability if the item is returned? If procedures are not followed should disciplinary action be done in steps (e.g. 1st return item – verbal warning and retraining, etc). Any thoughts? Any innovative ways of handling?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#586744 - 07/21/06 03:58 PM Re: Accountability for not following procedures
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
For the same offense:

1st - verbal reprimand
2nd - written and put in file
3rd - written and disciplinary action
4th - possible termination

Return to Top
#586745 - 07/21/06 04:10 PM Re: Accountability for not following procedures
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
If a teller follows procedures should they have any accountability if the item is returned?

Not a terrific answer, but it's going to depend - was there anything obvious about the check that they should have caught - stale date, no routing number, etc - Following one procedure should not absolve an employees from following other procedures. Hopefully you have a training or procedure manual that goes over ALL of the conditions that should be reviewed when accepting items for negotiating - if ANY of those conditions are not met resulting in the item being returned, then of course - some accountability should be required.

Further, I have always recommended that managers walk the teller line - reivew transactions in work bins - if there's time - ask the teller some questions about a transaction - see if it meets your FI's procedures/requirements. Let them know that you're there to help, to coach ... and the more subtle hint is that you're watching.

Return to Top
#586746 - 07/21/06 04:57 PM Re: Accountability for not following procedures
Jerseygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Jersey Shore
Thanks

Return to Top