Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#588222 - 07/25/06 07:39 PM Question
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
I was playing sand volleyball last night and twisted my ankle pretty bad. So I wrapped it up, planned on using crutches today, and thought I was doing good. Then I talk to my mother who insists I go and see the doctor. Do we ever get to an age where our parents don't think they know what's best? I'm 29, but I'm going to the doctor because my mom told me to!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#588223 - 07/25/06 07:44 PM Re: Question
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

I was playing sand volleyball last night and twisted my ankle pretty bad. So I wrapped it up, planned on using crutches today, and thought I was doing good. Then I talk to my mother who insists I go and see the doctor. Do we ever get to an age where our parents don't think they know what's best? I'm 29, but I'm going to the doctor because my mom told me to!

I'm 38 and got yelled at when I got my third cat. I'm thinking about getting a fourth and am nervous about telling Dad because when I mentioned it to Mom she gave me grief. I doubt it will ever end.

Return to Top
#588224 - 07/25/06 07:45 PM Re: Question
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
That's why at some point you just stop telling your parents things.

Return to Top
#588225 - 07/25/06 07:46 PM Re: Question
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Absof*****glutely right, TICG!

Return to Top
#588226 - 07/25/06 07:47 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm 38, my 20 year old daughter lives with me, with my 9 month old grand daughter, and my mother still insists on telling me her opinion on everything (and she is the only one that doesn't live with me!)

Return to Top
#588227 - 07/25/06 07:47 PM Re: Question
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

That's why at some point you just stop telling your parents things.

And what do I say on the ocassions they are in my house? "I don't know what you are talking about Mom/Dad ... I only see two cats."

Return to Top
#588228 - 07/25/06 07:51 PM Re: Question
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Quote:

Quote:

I'm 38 and got yelled at when I got my third cat. I'm thinking about getting a fourth and am nervous about telling Dad because when I mentioned it to Mom she gave me grief. I doubt it will ever end.

SP, you're not gonna turn into one of those weird cat ladies are you???

Return to Top
#588229 - 07/25/06 07:53 PM Re: Question
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
My mom ALWAYS thinks she knows everything about my life. When I call her to tell her things, she says "oh, I thought that would happen" or "I knew it!" Or "I was wondering how long it would take you to tell me" It drives me nuts. We don't talk very often, and we aren't close at all. I always just want to say "no you didn't!"

Return to Top
#588230 - 07/25/06 07:56 PM Re: Question
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Quote:

I was playing sand volleyball last night and twisted my ankle pretty bad. So I wrapped it up, planned on using crutches today, and thought I was doing good. Then I talk to my mother who insists I go and see the doctor. I'm 29, but I'm going to the doctor because my mom told me to!

No, you don't. Now, don't forget your manners, stand up straight, and don't stay out all night!

Return to Top
#588231 - 07/25/06 08:02 PM Re: Question
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Don't complain; at least you still have a mom. My mom passed away five years ago, and I would gladly have her around to tell me what to do.

Return to Top
#588232 - 07/25/06 08:04 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Apparently, I'm the only one in here with an awesome mom.. now my mother-in-law on the other hand...

Return to Top
#588233 - 07/25/06 08:04 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to hear that Steven1950. I treasure my Mom as well. I thank God everyday she is still here with me! I can't even imagine life without her.

Return to Top
#588234 - 07/25/06 08:07 PM Re: Question
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Heck, my 70 yr. old mother gave me a lecture on taking the proper combination of glucosamine and chondroitin (sp?) on my last visit.

Worth more of a laugh, in his last comedy special, Lewis Black talks about being invited to perform at some foreign correspondent's dinner where the President, Vice President, etc. would be guests. He wasn't happy with the restrictions being put on his act, so he called his parents. They told him to do the show. He called back the organizer and told whoever it was that he was only doing the show "because my parents are making me."

Return to Top
#588235 - 07/25/06 08:09 PM Re: Question
A_G Online
10K Club
That's ok - my parents are leaving for vacation (with my sister who still lives at home) at the end of this week. I moved out about a year ago. So I stopped over to the house this weekend and the first thing outta my mom's mouth is "You better not be thinking about having any parties while we are gone!"

I really have no room to talk though because I guess she knows me too well; there is already one in the works...(hey I can't let the pool and hottub go unused ) But hey it's the thought that she would even think I would one

Return to Top
#588236 - 07/25/06 08:16 PM Re: Question
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Auditguy...I just had the same warning from my mother!

I'm house/dogsitting for them for the weekend, and she made sure to make me promise no parties. I thought she was kidding, but nope! She was dead serious!
I'm 31 and have been married for 6 years!
A party? Are you kidding me?

Oh, well. I'd rather have her be a little overprotective and overintested in my life than than not at all.

I can't think of a day when I didn't talk to her, or a week where she didn't frustrate me, but I love her and wouldn't trade our close relationship for anything!

Return to Top
#588237 - 07/25/06 08:24 PM Re: Question
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
Quote:

Don't complain; at least you still have a mom. My mom passed away five years ago, and I would gladly have her around to tell me what to do.

I agree. I lost my mom 10 years ago next month. I used to get irritated with her, but it sure would be nice to get one of those phone calls now. Not trying to cause anyone grief, just be patient and let them be parents while you can.

Return to Top
#588238 - 07/25/06 08:34 PM Re: Question
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
My folks are the same, but I was finally able to turn it around on them. Recently, my mom had her identity stolen, and neither of them knew what to do. So I walked her through the process, helped her write her letters, etc. Finally, there is a subject I know more about than my parents!
Of course, before they left, Dad nagged me about getting an oil change...

Return to Top
#588239 - 07/25/06 08:45 PM Re: Question
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Quote:

I agree. I lost my mom 10 years ago next month. I used to get irritated with her, but it sure would be nice to get one of those phone calls now. Not trying to cause anyone grief, just be patient and let them be parents while you can.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thank God every day that she's still around. And I will probably always listen!

Update: Surprise, it's just a sprain. Stay off it for a couple days, ice it, etc, etc. They said I probably shouldn't play softball tomorrow night though! Hmmm, well I probably better not call her and tell her I told you so, huh?
Last edited by #12; 07/25/06 08:54 PM.

Return to Top
#588240 - 07/25/06 08:58 PM Re: Question
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

My mom ALWAYS thinks she knows everything about my life. When I call her to tell her things, she says "oh, I thought that would happen" or "I knew it!" Or "I was wondering how long it would take you to tell me" It drives me nuts. We don't talk very often, and we aren't close at all. I always just want to say "no you didn't!"

Melissa - instead of saying no you didn't, just turn it around and every time she tells you somehting, respond the same way to her as she does to you...

Return to Top
#588241 - 07/25/06 09:05 PM Re: Question
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI

Return to Top
#588242 - 07/25/06 11:56 PM Re: Question
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I locked my parents in the basement years ago.

All is good now, except for the constant pounding.

Return to Top
#588243 - 07/26/06 12:56 AM Re: Question
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

LOL @ Peepers!

Return to Top
#588244 - 07/26/06 12:07 PM Re: Question
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

LOL @ Peepers!

Get some Excedrin, Peeps...

Return to Top
#588245 - 07/26/06 01:03 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, don't knock dear ol' mom. Don't forget, when you showed up in her house, you couldn't even wipe your butt. She had to teach you everything. Then you became a teenager and acted like you were born knowing everything and she never knew anything--forgetting that if it weren't for her, you'd still have poop dribbling down your legs. For 18 years she doled out good advice, you ignored it for the last 5+ years you lived with her. Then, after you became an "adult" you continued to feed at the trough for 4+ years in college. Yes, you felt so independent, but you weren't. You continued to ignore her advice, though you continued to take her money and allow her to do your laundry and cook your meals when you came home. Now, you have a family of your own and you expect her to quit giving advice? Listen to the advice and be glad she's giving it. She has experiences you've never had and unless she didn't do a very good job raising you, she just might know what she's talking about.

Return to Top
#588246 - 07/26/06 01:05 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thank God every day that she's still around. And I will probably always listen!

Update: Surprise, it's just a sprain. Stay off it for a couple days, ice it, etc, etc. They said I probably shouldn't play softball tomorrow night though! Hmmm, well I probably better not call her and tell her I told you so, huh?

YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T ICE IT IMMEDIATELY? You do need your mommy!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2