Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#588247 - 07/26/06 01:08 PM Re: Question
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
Of course I iced it immediately, do you think I'm dumb? Oh wait, don't answer that!

and to the previous Unregistered, I didn't "feed at the trough" through college. I did my own laundry, paid for my own food, and paid for college. Thanks for the advice though.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#588248 - 07/26/06 01:14 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Of course I iced it immediately, do you think I'm dumb? Oh wait, don't answer that!

and to the previous Unregistered, I didn't "feed at the trough" through college. I did my own laundry, paid for my own food, and paid for college. Thanks for the advice though.

That was only one small part of the advice.

Return to Top
#588249 - 07/26/06 01:17 PM Re: Question
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
Quote:

Quote:

But see, you're just assuming that I didn't heed my mother's advice for the first 18 years of my life. The only piece of advice that I did not listen to, was when she told me to stay out of banking. Otherwise, my mom and I have a great relationship and I value her opinion. I was just venting a little!

Return to Top
#588250 - 07/26/06 01:19 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But see, you're just assuming that I didn't heed my mother's advice for the first 18 years of my life. The only piece of advice that I did not listen to, was when she told me to stay out of banking. Otherwise, my mom and I have a great relationship and I value her opinion. I was just venting a little!

I wasn't assuming anything. You were assuming the advice was intended for you. The advice was not intended for you individually. It was general advice to the group based on generalities of how many of us were raised! Those who can relate, will. Those who can't, won't. See ya!

Return to Top
#588251 - 07/26/06 01:20 PM Re: Question
#12 Online
Diamond Poster
Ohh, gotcha!

Return to Top
#588252 - 07/26/06 02:10 PM Re: Question
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I am afraid you only stop asking your parents for advice and listening to them after they are dead. Then, you wish they were around to give you more advice.

My nephew is 27 years old, and he NEEDS to listen to some adult, cause he just isn't getting it. But he won't, so, he is currently living in a garage, has no license, only has his phone on from week to week depending on when he remembers to pay the bill, and has his clean clothes strewn across the garage floor. His mom, dad, sister and us (his aunt and uncle) have tried to suggest,reason with, cajole, order, etc. to try and get him to understand that he has to work for a living and he is responsible for paying his own bills, but so far, nothing is sinking in. The reason he is in the garage is his sugar daddy (Grandpa) has died, so no more handouts, and he has worn out his welcome at his friends' places (he trashes their stuff, and they don't like it.) I told him it is going to get too cold to live in that garage soon, so he'd better be out before winter. We'll see.

Sorry about the rant; we just had to deal with this this weekend, and it is driving me nuts! To top it off, he ran into two of his friends from his high school jazz ensemble; one finished Harvard and has his own business, the other is at Julliard.

Return to Top
#588253 - 07/26/06 02:58 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has your nephew had a mental evaluation?

Return to Top
#588254 - 07/26/06 03:13 PM Re: Question
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

I am afraid you only stop asking your parents for advice and listening to them after they are dead. Then, you wish they were around to give you more advice.

My nephew is 27 years old, and he NEEDS to listen to some adult, cause he just isn't getting it. But he won't, so, he is currently living in a garage, has no license, only has his phone on from week to week depending on when he remembers to pay the bill, and has his clean clothes strewn across the garage floor. His mom, dad, sister and us (his aunt and uncle) have tried to suggest,reason with, cajole, order, etc. to try and get him to understand that he has to work for a living and he is responsible for paying his own bills, but so far, nothing is sinking in. The reason he is in the garage is his sugar daddy (Grandpa) has died, so no more handouts, and he has worn out his welcome at his friends' places (he trashes their stuff, and they don't like it.) I told him it is going to get too cold to live in that garage soon, so he'd better be out before winter. We'll see.

Sorry about the rant; we just had to deal with this this weekend, and it is driving me nuts! To top it off, he ran into two of his friends from his high school jazz ensemble; one finished Harvard and has his own business, the other is at Julliard.

The rule in my family has been that at 18 you have the choice to 1. Go to college, 2. Stay at home w/o going to college provided you work and pay room & board, or 3. Move out... period. Can only move back home (temporarily) if there's a bona fide emergency (illness, divorce, layoff, etc.) No parental welfare.

Return to Top
#588255 - 07/26/06 03:19 PM Re: Question
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
On the other hand, I'm now at 48 and my mom is 75. I find myself most often telling her what she should and should not do now, as she tends to make worse and worse decisions these days. The roles have definitely reversed. And it's gotten worse over the past few years as my dad declined with Alzheimer's and then passed away in February. I guess that's the way it goes. The parents are now the children.

Return to Top
#588256 - 07/26/06 06:25 PM Re: Question
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
My nephew has not had a mental evaluation, because he thinks we are all in the wrong. Also, you can't force him since he is supposedly an adult. He has been back to his mothers house three times since high school. Each time she says he can stay if he pays some of the bills and follows the rules of the house. Like doing his own laundry, helping with dishes if he joins them for a meal, etc. He refuses. Wants to live there for free with no responsibilities. Twice he stormed out after an argument; the third time, she told him to leave. He hasn't been back there in about 4 years, although they are on speaking terms.

MOML and I have decided to make ourselves scarce, because now, whenever there is an event at his mom's house, (like a graduation or a birthday) and we are going, his mom and/or he ask if we can come and pick him up. He lost his license to drunk driving. The problem: It is 2 hours out of our way (one way). We'd be willing to do it if someone (anyone) showed some appreciation, but there are no offers to pay for gas, not even a thank you. It is just expected cause it's family.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2