Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#588864 - 07/26/06 06:41 PM Sole Proprietors
SARempress Offline
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Can someone tell me whether or not NC allows married couples to consider their jointly owned business (operating under an assumed name) as a Sole Proprietor? We just opened a branch in the state and I'm looking for a good source on NC laws affecting business organization. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to Top
#588865 - 07/31/06 06:20 PM Sole Proprietors
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
SAREmpress,

Welcome to BOL and to North Carolina!

Based on my research, North Carolina code/statute is silent on this matter. And since by definition sole proprietor means one person, there's no statutory support for treating a H/W as a Sole Prop instead of a partnership. In my opinion it boils down to a risk vs. reward if, for instance, you wanted to give the H/W a NOW for their busness account.

Do a general search on BOL for the terms +husband +wife +sole +proprietorship and you will find several interesting threads from other states about this same issue.

As for a resource for business organizations, probably the best is North Carolina's Secretary of State web site, especially the Corporations page which provides links for infomration in Corporations, LLC, partnerships, etc.

MarkB

Return to Top