Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#590413 - 07/30/06 11:35 PM dress code and hats?
FraudBuster Offline
100 Club
Indiana
Okay, maybe I've become old in my early forties, but I was brought up with two rules about hats:

1) A gentleman's hat (even if worn by a lady;) ) is not worn indoors.
2) A lady does not wear a hat in her own house. (I was never sure if this also applied to her normal place of work, where it feels as if I spend more waking hours than home.)

I'm not seeing a lot of ladies' hats, but certain male co-workers are making a habit of walking around the office in a hat. I checked, and our dress code says nothing about it. Maybe HR thought it was just OBVIOUS??? Or has the rule changed? Can't we have something about employees not wearing hats inside, except in accordance with established religious custom (such as Jewish men wearing a yarmulka or Muslim women wearing a veil)?

Or will that just lead to statements like "I'm converting to Cowboyism" and "Baseball IS a religion"?

Or am I just being an old fogey?

(Don't answer that last question.)

Return to Top
Human Resources
#590414 - 07/31/06 12:27 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
All secrets regarding hat etiquette are revealed in Ask Andy About Clothes. My assumption is that it's a different Andy, but I'm not positive.

Return to Top
#590415 - 07/31/06 12:29 PM Re: dress code and hats?
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
my grandfather always wore a fedora, even when he plowed the fields. he unfailingly removed it when coming indoors. my cousins are prone to wearing baseball caps. if they are not voluntarily removed when coming indoors, they are decisively removed by any family member present! it really is a offensive. sort of like not removing sunglasses when you meet someone for the first time or enter their home.

Return to Top
#590416 - 07/31/06 12:46 PM Re: dress code and hats?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I also was brought up that a gentleman does not wear a hat indoors. Offensive? I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is difinitely in poor taste. A baseball hat has no place in a business environment.

Return to Top
#590417 - 07/31/06 05:31 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Okay, I wouldn't wear a ball cap to work, neither do the guys...if I could, I probably would...that would also mean I'd be able to wear jeans, which I can't.

In my house? Most every day. In a casual restaurant?...do it all the time...While playing the national anthem? (at horse shows)? The men remove, ladies optional (mine stays put).

To each his own?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#590418 - 07/31/06 06:09 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
In Texas, it is acceptable for a cowboy hat to be worn indoors - it should be removed when entering a church, or speaking to a lady - and some of these guys are REAL gentleman - I wouldn't dream of asking them to remove their hat when entering a bank - to them it's like taking off their boots, it's a part of their outfit, more than just a hat.
So some of it is probably cultural, etc
But since this is in the HR forum, I'm assuming you're asking about the accepability of an employee wearing a head covering to work - unless it's a religious edict, or there is a medical reason - no hats allowed!

Return to Top
#590419 - 07/31/06 06:59 PM Re: dress code and hats?
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Especially if you have a sign at your door requesting that customers do not wear hats or sunglasses!

Return to Top
#590420 - 07/31/06 10:33 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

In Texas, it is acceptable for a cowboy hat to be worn indoors -

Seen it, and in most cases I disagree with it. The again, I don't wear a hat often.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#590421 - 07/31/06 11:17 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Our policy states hats or caps unless medically necessary ... however, I doubt anyone with a turbin will be sent home.

Return to Top
#590422 - 08/01/06 03:13 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

In Texas, it is acceptable for a cowboy hat to be worn indoors

Not in all parts of Texas! Which probably just underscores your last comment - it's pretty cultural, and generational to some degree.

Bottom line - most anyone wearing a hat indoors is not doing it to be rude, they just don't consider it rude. Since there is no societal norm, it's tough to set a policy!

Return to Top
#590423 - 08/01/06 03:19 PM Re: dress code and hats?
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
We have a Cowboy Church in our community. It is held in a sale barn. Congegrants are mostly local farmers and nearly every man is wearing a cowboy hat or ball cap. The hats stay on until there is prayer and then all hats come off. On the Amen, the hats go back on. It is their sign of respect.

Return to Top
#590424 - 08/01/06 06:18 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

Bottom line - most anyone wearing a hat indoors is not doing it to be rude, they just don't consider it rude.

Not to be contradictory, Lestie, but I think they don't KNOW it's rude. This is another of those manners that's gone by the wayside in America. I think it is a matter of how you're brought up. Foreigners do not behave with this disregard.

Our dress code policy is similar to those already posted. No hats or caps.

Return to Top
#590425 - 08/01/06 07:00 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Bottom line - most anyone wearing a hat indoors is not doing it to be rude, they just don't consider it rude.

Not to be contradictory, Lestie, but I think they don't KNOW it's rude. This is another of those manners that's gone by the wayside in America. I think it is a matter of how you're brought up. Foreigners do not behave with this disregard.

Our dress code policy is similar to those already posted. No hats or caps.

I'm pretty well educated, so I believe "it's not considered rude" is more appropriate. If I KNEW it was rude, I wouldn't do it..it's not considered rude in my part of the world...maybe that's the difference.

It had nothing to do with how I was raised either..I came from a very formal home, however I never wore hats until I was an adult away from home...so I can't vouch for that theory either.

I'm interested tho...just what is it about a hat that is considered "rude" anyway??? I take much pride in my hats, btw!

What about on Sunday's when the best-dressed ladies of the church wear their finest hats? What about the Kentucky Derby...hats are a tradition...(okay, so they are mostly outside at the Derby), but what about the ladies of the church..what's the difference???

Return to Top
#590426 - 08/01/06 07:21 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Very interesting point, joker. I mostly think that in the past it was only rude for men to not remove their hats indoors.

Return to Top
#590427 - 08/01/06 07:29 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
But why? Who set that standard...just what is it that makes it rude? I don't take a second look at someone wearing a hat...especially those folks that their hat is like a part of them. I probably notice it more when someone who normally wears one...doesn't! LOL!

Again, at rodeos for instance, it's a rare man that doesn't remove their hat for the anthem and prayer...inside OR outside.

Return to Top
#590428 - 08/01/06 07:45 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

All secrets regarding hat etiquette are revealed in Ask Andy About Clothes. My assumption is that it's a different Andy, but I'm not positive.

Cute site...now I'm wondering if a PINK ballcap would be considered 'unisex' or not...hummm...now I've got something to think about...

From Andy's Hat page...

It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, (it was once required, but the custom has all but disappeared) but disrespectful for men to wear them.

A woman may leave her hat on indoors or during the playing of The National Anthem, unless it is considered unisex like a baseball cap. When wearing such a unisex cap, a woman should follow the same guidelines as for men.

Why are there different rules for men and women? It may have to do with the difference in the styles of men’s and women's hats.

Men's hats are easily removed, but women's hats with ribbons, bows, flowers and other decorations can be quite a production to remove, especially if they're anchored with hatpins. Women might also risk messing up their hairdos if they had to remove their hats. A lady, however, never wore brimmed hats after 5 PM, a fashion rule that developed because she didn't need a brim after sunset.

I still don't get the "disrespectful" issue...somehow I think those times have changed for the most part. It's like one person, I'll guess an older woman (don't get mad...I fall in that category!!!) keeps griping in our local paper 'rant and rave' about "shower shoes"...(everyone is guessing that would be flip flops) and being worn other than in the shower...give me a BREAK! It's 110 degrees out there...I don't think I'll get offended by someone wearing flip flops in WalMart this afternoon. (so long as all I hear is flip...flop and not shuffle shuffle instead)

Oh..but back to the original question...according to "Andy"...if those guys in the office are going past the lobby in a ballcap..take out your gun and shoot them now!
Last edited by joker; 08/01/06 07:48 PM.

Return to Top
#590429 - 08/01/06 09:14 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Women were required to wear hats in church because a woman's hair was considered her "crowning glory" and it needed to be covered in the site of God. It was vain, immodest and disrespectful not to cover it.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#590430 - 08/01/06 09:17 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm trying to remember when it was that Smokey from "Smokey and the Bandit" thought it was necessary to remove his hat...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Return to Top
#590431 - 08/02/06 12:02 AM Re: dress code and hats?

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You are very bad!

Return to Top
#590432 - 08/02/06 12:21 PM Re: dress code and hats?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
this thread reminds me of the time I was at a diner that had a sign on the door that said "no, shirt, no shoes, no service." So, I left on my shirt and shoes, took off my pants and walked in...

Return to Top
#590433 - 08/02/06 01:01 PM Re: dress code and hats?
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

I'm trying to remember when it was that Smokey from "Smokey and the Bandit" thought it was necessary to remove his hat...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

ya know...I almost mentioned that earlier in this thread...alot of cowboys really are just like the Bandit...

Return to Top
#590434 - 08/02/06 09:57 PM Re: dress code and hats?
TX Ladybug Offline
TX Ladybug
TX
Another TX viewpoint: My husband was born and raised in Texas. While he is not a "cowboy", he is from a very rural area. He considers it a violation of good manners and is offended when a man enters any building and fails to remove his hat. This would also apply to outdoors when the National Anthem is playing, or a funeral procession drives past and you are standing outdoors. I am not from Texas originally, but have a great deal of respect for any person who still lives by the "old-fashioned" manners.
Usually, a person who follows the "hat rule", is also an extremely well-mannered individual who is respectful in other categories as well.
I'll take a "hat-rule" person over a "it really doesn't matter" person any day!

Return to Top
#590435 - 08/02/06 11:06 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ladybug, I wrote a muddled response to Joker earlier and then deleted it. Thanks for saying what I was trying to. You did it so much nicer and much more succinctly.

Return to Top
#590436 - 08/02/06 11:08 PM Re: dress code and hats?

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Manners make the world a nicer place to live.

Return to Top
#590437 - 08/03/06 04:26 PM Re: dress code and hats?
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Joker, I tend to agree with you. I can remember when women didn't wear pants to church. Nobody told me that I couldn't - it just wasn't done. Now it is.

There are many other mores that have changed over time. Who changed them? Why? I'm just glad that corsets and long skirts are no longer "required" by society.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry