Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#591373 - 08/03/06 05:53 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are right, but the media has a lot to do with how it is played out, and all you hear in the media has to do with the anti-semitic remarks and his celebrity. Their focus is not the DUI, wrong as it may be.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#591374 - 08/03/06 05:57 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The anti-Semitic remarks may be the PR nightmare, but the DUI is certainly what a responsible media would be focusing on and educating people about.

oh, so this will help raise awareness of DUIs.

the issue here is racism and hatred. they ARE seizing the opportunity to make a meaningful impact (whomever "they" might be). nobody is thinking "man, if DUI can happen to st. mel, it could happen to me" or "people are out there drinking and driving?!" i'm not trying to be insensitive or to minimize the dangers of DUI but be realistic. do you not find hatred or the roots of hatred (and the cause of war) to be an even more substantial issue?

Return to Top
#591375 - 08/03/06 06:00 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

The anti-Semitic remarks may be the PR nightmare, but the DUI is certainly what a responsible media would be focusing on and educating people about.

oh, so this will help raise awareness of DUIs.

the issue here is racism and hatred. they ARE seizing the opportunity to make a meaningful impact (whomever "they" might be). nobody is thinking "man, if DUI can happen to st. mel, it could happen to me" or "people are out there drinking and driving?!" i'm not trying to be insensitive or to minimize the dangers of DUI but be realistic. do you not find hatred or the roots of hatred (and the cause of war) to be an even more substantial issue?

Exactly. I don't know of any pro-DUI groups, but there are plenty of groups who are Anti-Semetic. Mel's father is one of those folks who says the Holocaust didn't happen.

Return to Top
#591376 - 08/03/06 06:00 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think they are both substantial issues. Hatred had been around a lot longer than DUI, and still it happens all the time.

Return to Top
#591377 - 08/03/06 06:16 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

OK, what do you think still needs to be talked about regarding drunk driving? I'm not trying to be flip, I just don't see what is left to discuss.

There has been a guy on the news in Cleveland that killed a couple of college students and this is like his 12th DUI. I think certain people don't get it and making an example of Mel Gibson wouldn't have kept this schmuck out of his car.

||||This is not meant as flip either.||||

And what is left to say about Mel's anti-Semetic remarks that we can all learn from? Is it that if we are anti-Semetic and a celebrity, we should keep it to ourselves?

I think educating men, women, and children about the dangers of drunk driving and the consequences (monetarily, career ending, etc...) will go a lot farther than educating people about someone who made anti-Semitic remarks. If there's nothing else that can be done, then I guess MADD should fold up its tent.

Return to Top
#591378 - 08/03/06 06:18 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

OK, what do you think still needs to be talked about regarding drunk driving? I'm not trying to be flip, I just don't see what is left to discuss.

There has been a guy on the news in Cleveland that killed a couple of college students and this is like his 12th DUI. I think certain people don't get it and making an example of Mel Gibson wouldn't have kept this schmuck out of his car.

||||This is not meant as flip either.||||

And what is left to say about Mel's anti-Semetic remarks that we can all learn from? Is it that if we are anti-Semetic and a celebrity, we should keep it to ourselves?

I think educating men, women, and children about the dangers of drunk driving and the consequences (monetarily, career ending, etc...) will go a lot farther than educating people about someone who made anti-Semitic remarks. If there's nothing else that can be done, then I guess MADD should fold up its tent.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Return to Top
#591379 - 08/03/06 06:22 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Why can't both issues be used by the relevant groups to educate people? People know drunk driving is wrong, yet some still do it. Does that mean we don't continue to educate or use examples when they happen? Same with hate speech. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Return to Top
#591380 - 08/03/06 06:36 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Why can't both issues be used by the relevant groups to educate people? People know drunk driving is wrong, yet some still do it. Does that mean we don't continue to educate or use examples when they happen? Same with hate speech. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

sox, doesn't it at least seem like people are trying to distract attention away from the remarks and the person who said them?

what is the DUI lesson: DUI's DON'T result in accidents? we already know people do this. i don't know if this is the example that will open eyes to DUI. possibly what drinking does to your self-control but there is no WAY this issue here is in equal weight as the hatred awareness issue. now at the same time, i am not saying that anybody trying to distract supports hatred. they are just very willing to forgive him because of the "rosier" aspects of what st. mel is about.

Return to Top
#591381 - 08/03/06 06:37 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

What I find interesting is that I am sure there are a ton of drunk people that get pulled over or stopped on the street that go off on the arresting officers and those types of things aren't necessarily told to the media. I personal don't care what he ranted about while drunk what concerns me is that he obviously has a problem if he was driving 87mph on a winding road drunk. He could've killed someone or himself. His beliefs are not my concern when there are bigger issues at hand!

Return to Top
#591382 - 08/03/06 06:48 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Sox.
It isn't about saying Drunk Driving is wrong or that anti-semitic slurs (or any racial slurs for that matter)are wrong. It's about bringing awareness to both sides. It's about bringing awareness to the pain that both instances can cause.

Return to Top
#591383 - 08/03/06 06:58 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

Quote:

sox, doesn't it at least seem like people are trying to distract attention away from the remarks and the person who said them?

what is the DUI lesson: DUI's DON'T result in accidents? we already know people do this. i don't know if this is the example that will open eyes to DUI. possibly what drinking does to your self-control but there is no WAY this issue here is in equal weight as the hatred awareness issue. now at the same time, i am not saying that anybody trying to distract supports hatred. they are just very willing to forgive him because of the "rosier" aspects of what st. mel is about.

I see the opposite-the remarks are greatly overshadowing the DWI.

The argument that was made about the DWI not changing people that drive DWI now can be made about the remarks-I doubt someone who is anti semetic is going to suddenly change their views, in fact they may gain strength thinking there is a "celebrity" that thinks the way they do. JMHO.

That doesn't mean the opportunity shouldn't be seized to try and educate people. It isn't a matter of picking one over the other. Different people may feel stronger about one of the issues over the other-doesn't make it right or wrong...

Return to Top
#591384 - 08/03/06 07:05 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

"I think the reason no one is talking about the DUI is because there is nothing to talk about. I would have a hard time (even here where people argue about everything) seeing someone argue that the DUI is not a big deal. We discuss the anti-semetic remarks because there are two sides to that issue."
SP, I didn't mean that we should be debating if drunk driving is wrong or not. I never meant to imply that I think anyone would argue the fact that it's a terrible thing. What I was trying to say is...Why all the emphasis on the remarks only? (I understand there are two sides to this for a spectacular discussion of who's right and who's wrong) I think that since the media has decided to shed so much light on hate speech it also needs to bring some light on the drunk driving issue also. I know it's not going to change the people that do it, I also don't think all the talk about hate speech is going to change the people who do that either.
While there are not two sides to drunk driving to discuss, I think,just like in the media's case, we need to give it a little spotlight in this cooler. That's all.
I hate drunk drivers too. I hate that one of them did that to your close friend. I'm very happy to see that you stay in touch with her mother. That is very kind.

Return to Top
#591385 - 08/03/06 07:14 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

i do not think mel is a saint, but tell me kind ron, what good does the discussion of the anti-semetic remarks do? they likely show that mel is an anti-semite, born and bred, but what else does it show america and the world? i guess it shows that anti-semites should either keep their mouths shut when drunk or don't get drunk. beyond that i don't know what an anti-semite is going to learn from all of this. if one is not an anti-semite, one can learn that there are anti-semites and bigots in the world. i suppose a parent could use this as a jumping off point for a lesson on love and acceptance of all people and a lesson that there are bigots and racists out there.

so, maybe you see people trying to divert attention from st. mel's anti-semitic remarks. maybe I see you wishing to pile on mel with no real goal of educating anyone other than christians who may have put him too high up on a pedestal. now, that is a good lesson. i put no man short of jesus up on a pedestal--been disappointed too many times--and when i haven't been disappointed, i probably just did not know the person's secret sins. point is--we all have our failures. (that's not an excuse for mel's.)

you seem to be thinking that everyone is saying, "give the drunk driving more attention so mel can skate on the anti-semitism." speaking for myself, this is NOT AT ALL TRUE. i just think his words speak for themselves and they speak for only him. i really don't see much of a greater lesson here except that holding those we don't really know, like celebrities, in high esteem is risky.

now, the dui. i think there can never be too much said about that. i don't think lessons on what is or isn't anti-semitic is going to change anti-semitics--it might teach them to keep their mouths shut. it might teach them about damage control once the cat's out of the bag. but i don't think it is going to change anyone. i do think that lessons on drinking and driving can have an effect--and maybe if someone sees mel getting rehab, they will also go for help

Return to Top
#591386 - 08/03/06 07:15 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think the DUI conversation is trying to make light of the remarks. I think people need to look at the situation as a "whole". I don't think he is St. Mel. I think he's someone that did something very wrong on more than one level.

Return to Top
#591387 - 08/03/06 07:26 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

Stripping away the labels, Christ was turned over to be killed by a group of his own people. This wasn't the Jews versus the Christians, it was someone who threatened the status quo. If Christ were to come today, he would just as likely be unrecognized as the Messiah and derided by many fundamentalist Christians because he doesn't fit the image they built up for him to be.

That's true, ComplyGuy, but the main question should be: would he go drinking with Mel Gibson?

Suzy

Well if he had, JC could have been the designated driver and none of this would have happened.

Return to Top
#591388 - 08/03/06 07:43 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

"I think the reason no one is talking about the DUI is because there is nothing to talk about. I would have a hard time (even here where people argue about everything) seeing someone argue that the DUI is not a big deal. We discuss the anti-semetic remarks because there are two sides to that issue."
SP, I didn't mean that we should be debating if drunk driving is wrong or not. I never meant to imply that I think anyone would argue the fact that it's a terrible thing. What I was trying to say is...Why all the emphasis on the remarks only? (I understand there are two sides to this for a spectacular discussion of who's right and who's wrong) I think that since the media has decided to shed so much light on hate speech it also needs to bring some light on the drunk driving issue also. I know it's not going to change the people that do it, I also don't think all the talk about hate speech is going to change the people who do that either.
While there are not two sides to drunk driving to discuss, I think,just like in the media's case, we need to give it a little spotlight in this cooler. That's all.
I hate drunk drivers too. I hate that one of them did that to your close friend. I'm very happy to see that you stay in touch with her mother. That is very kind.

I understand your point better. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Return to Top
#591389 - 08/03/06 08:13 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
The bottom line is a celebrity did two incredibly stupid things. He drove drunk and he made anti-semetic remarks to an officer.

Of course it wouldn't get press if the average Joe down the street did the same thing, which is why it's so important for people in the public eye to behave themselves. He doesn't have to be perfect, just obey the law and watch your mouth like most of America does.

I have Jewish people in my family and I will put my money where my mouth is and not support anyone who makes anti-semetic remarks, drunk or not. That behavior should not be tollerated, so no more Mel Gibson movies for me.

Return to Top
#591390 - 08/03/06 08:20 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Woody Allen movies? (Other than they are awful lately)

Roman Polansky movies?

Return to Top
#591391 - 08/03/06 08:22 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Roman Polansky movies?

I must have missed the part where the poster said she watched those movies.

As far as Woody Allen, he did nothing illegal.

Return to Top
#591392 - 08/03/06 08:22 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Woody Allen is one sick puppy for marrying his adopted daughter. I've always thought he was a freak, so I don't watch his movies either.

Roman Polansky...yuck....enough said.

Return to Top
#591393 - 08/03/06 08:22 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Roman Polansky movies?

Shoo!

Return to Top
#591394 - 08/03/06 08:27 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

so, maybe you see people trying to divert attention from st. mel's anti-semitic remarks. maybe I see you wishing to pile on mel with no real goal of educating anyone other than christians who may have put him too high up on a pedestal. now, that is a good lesson. i put no man short of jesus up on a pedestal--been disappointed too many times--and when i haven't been disappointed, i probably just did not know the person's secret sins. point is--we all have our failures. (that's not an excuse for mel's.)

well, my goal is to address exactly that: this man is being spared because of what he means to christians. view this in context with what DUI example this is really going to help educate on. okay, sure everylittle bit helps. try to quantify that. now try to quantify the impact the psychology of hate and what that could do. do the rough estimate seem equivalent? do you see why i think people are being apologists?

i have no crusade against mel. i am reacting to the reaction of some posters. introspection is what i am looking for on this issue as a whole. why is the answer to this "oh please, people are always going to hate"?

Return to Top
#591395 - 08/03/06 08:27 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Roman Polansky movies?

Shoo!

Don't you have a bridge to crawl back under?

Return to Top
#591396 - 08/03/06 08:31 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
An actor doing something illegal doesn't automatically make me stop watching their movies. There are so many actors and movies, and we all have personal preferences, I just prefer to support people who have the same basic morals and values that I do.

Return to Top
#591397 - 08/03/06 08:41 PM Re: Lethal Weapon My Mouth, by Mel G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Roman Polansky movies?

Shoo!

Don't you have a bridge to crawl back under?

No, you are taking up all the space with your snide remarks.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8