Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#591858 - 08/02/06 12:14 PM SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
How do you determine if a customer qualifies for SCRA protections when, at time of application, their employer is listed as the military? For example, a customer applied in 2003, listing employer as Marines for 6 years. Their orders state "temporary additional duty orders in support of operation Iraqi freedom". Active duty status on DMD 8/17/1997. Customer does not appear to qualify. Another customer applied in 2002, listing employer as Army for 21 years. Orders state they were called to active duty from their reserve component in 2006. Active duty status on DMD is 5/12/2003. Both dates are after the loan date, but they were employed by the military at the time the loan was taken. Are employees of the military always considered active? Thank you!

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#591859 - 08/02/06 01:11 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Are employees of the military always considered active?

No. You can be an employee of the military and not be a service member. Only service members are eligible for the SCRA, therefore you will have to determine if your borrowers were service members at the time the loans were obtained.

Return to Top
#591860 - 08/02/06 02:33 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
If the DMD lists the borrower as "active", would that indicate the borrower is a service member? Is the active date on the DMD always current? Thanks!!

Return to Top
#591861 - 08/02/06 03:26 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I can't answer that.

Look to the definition of a service member. If they were a service member at the time they obtained the loan then they are not eligible.

If they were an employee and then activated through a reserve or guard unit after obtaining the loan then they would be.

If they were a service member at the time they obtained the loan then they were active regardless where the duty station or their job is located.

Again, at the time the loan was obtained you have to determine if they were an active service member or an employee that was later activated.

Return to Top
#591862 - 08/02/06 04:05 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Thank you!! Many times the borrower lists the employee as the military, but does not expand on the position to help determine if the borrower was a service member at time of application. Some of the orders will specifically indicate the borrower is being called to active duty from the reserves, but some orders do not seem to provide this detail. It seems the borrower will need to be contacted for clarification. Thank you.

Return to Top
#591863 - 08/03/06 12:26 AM Re: SCRA and employees of military
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
The army does employ some personnel full time in National Guard Units. So it may apper they are on active duty because they work for the Army National Guard unit as a civilian that they drill with.

When the unit is activated they get a set of orders that activates them along with everyone else.

Return to Top
#591864 - 08/03/06 12:27 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Again, thank you for the responses. For our particular scenario, would a recruiter in the Marines be considered an active servicemember? The orders received state "temporary additional duties" in support of operation Iraqi Freedom for 9 months then a return to resume regular duties (recruiter). Since the borrower was a recruiter at the time the loan was taken, I would assume he does not qualify? Thanks!

Return to Top
#591865 - 08/03/06 09:00 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Marine Recruiters are all active duty marines. He was already on active duty when he was order overseas. He does not qualify for SCRA.

Its like working for a bank branch and being told to report to the head office for a tempory assignment of 6 months after which you will return to the branch. Except he has a better chance of getting killed than you do.

BUT check your state laws as some states inacted laws that coverd all service people.

Return to Top
#591866 - 08/04/06 10:31 AM Re: SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Thank you!! Have a great day!!

Return to Top
#591867 - 08/07/06 11:28 AM Re: SCRA and employees of military
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
Me again. I am checking with my legal dept., but does anyone know if Pennsylvania has enacted a law which protects all service people? Thanks again!

Return to Top
#591868 - 08/07/06 08:16 PM Re: SCRA and employees of military
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
That may be a better question to be posted in the state forums, or to call one of your state associations.

For a better understanding of the SCRA you might look at this SCRA webinar.
Last edited by Andy Z; 08/07/06 08:26 PM.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z