Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#591926 - 08/04/06 10:04 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Quote:

Well I thought of that Drowning. I still need to read the warnings that came with the drug. Kiwi, my 9-month old is 28.4 pounds, they weighed him when I took him a couple of weeks ago. Tell me about it being tough lifting him out of the crib.....yikes!

Wow! My son is 3 1/2 and he is only 30 lbs.

I wish I could offer you some advice, but my son was actually a pretty good sleeper and I really didn't have that problem. (Honestly, I am not rubbing it in!) I sure hope you can find a solution soon though. In the mean time, take every possible moment you can to get a few winks of sleep in.

Return to Top
#591927 - 08/07/06 12:14 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Well he only got up once last night and all I had to do was pop the binky back in. We'll see how the rest of this week goes. BTW LadyLuck, love the avatar!

Return to Top
#591928 - 08/08/06 12:56 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
NY2004 Offline
At 9 months...I really don't remember how much she weighed. She is a bit of a lightweight though, I guess. She is almost 22 months and weighs about 22 pounds. Of course, I am trying not to pick her up too much right now being almost 10 mo pg...Dh gets her in and out of the crib most of the time.

Return to Top
#591929 - 08/08/06 01:39 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Good luck on the "wake-ups". You have received very good advice. Ear infections are very common and will cause them to be restless and lots of crying. Then again so will cutting teeth. But I think that you might notice lots of drooling during the day.....At any rate, it is a trying time for all parents.

I remember a doctor telling me,"just shut the door and let him cry". Well, we did that.....(we were probably older than most when he was born...and he was the first)....My husband and I stood outside of the door and this kid started gagging. Finally, hubby said "That doctor is not here listening to him." Needless to say, we picked him up and we rocked.....Come to think of it.....we rocked for a very long time.

Mom is crying....yep, I remember those days.. One New Year's Eve, he was probably 1-1/2 yrs., we were invited to a party. We did not go because we hated to leave him with anyone...(since he still didn't sleep all night). I rocked that little kid, until his head was rolling with each forward motion of the chair. I slowly, holding my breath, inched my way out of the chair, only to have him open his eyes and say "Oatmeal". Now, I know, by this time he was spoiled, and it was our fault, but I cried anyway.......

Hope things go better for you....

Return to Top
#591930 - 08/08/06 04:20 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
HootOwl5 Offline
I'm a child development major. At about 9 months they are starting to teethe...Feel his gums to see if you can feel any teeth popping through. Due to teeth it bothers their ears. He is still depending on you and used to you coming in the room and giving him his binky. Ween him off the binky. I know its hard but let him cry himself back to sleep. If you dont get a sound machine and play some gentle music in the background. Usually that keeps them in a deep sleep throughout the night. Do not let your child sleep with a pacifier. Or if you do let them sleep with it then make them leave it in the bed and only have it at night. Children who continually have pacifiers in their mouth while teething and right when they get their teeth are liking to have an arch in their teeth which causes for speech therapy later on in their child years and also braces and a lisp. Try the sounds machine and music. It soothes babies at night while sleeping. Leave it on and make sure they have a toy in their bed that they love so when they wake up that can be a comfort for them instead of you being their only comfort.

Return to Top
#591931 - 08/08/06 05:25 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
PQ - I have not had time to read all the replies so maybe this has been mentioned. Put extra binkas in the crib. This happened to my son when he was little. My husband developed a "binka holder" that mounted to the crib. It held extra binkas. We showed our son that he had extra binkas. We tested it one night. We stood over him and pulled the binka out of his mouth. He reached up and grabbed one out of the binka holder. Worked like a charm. I no longer was getting up multiple times in the middle of the night to find him a binka! We actually have a patent pending and are trying to market the binka holder! Before my husband made the binka holder I just laid a couple of extra binkas in the crib. One in his mouth and a couple extras. I hoped that not all of them would fall out of the crib. Good luck!
Last edited by Lady Joey's Mom; 08/08/06 05:29 PM.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#591932 - 08/08/06 08:01 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
HootOwl5,

Do you have kids too? You'll notice that many of the other posters to the thread do.

(RANT WARNING...stop reading now...if you want)
Without the binky we never would have made it through the transplant. I say forget about all the "advice" you read and go with your gut. Find what works for you and your situation and forget about the "rules" or the "correct" way to do things.

There is a difference between reading about child development and living it. I threw the books away when Natalie was 3 months old, since none of them mentioned biliary atresia or fulminant liver failure.

PQ - I hope you are still able to sleep.

Phew...sorry...normal MOPNB will return in a moment.

Return to Top
#591933 - 08/08/06 08:36 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
Each child is totally different. I had one child who nursed every 6 hours a lived with the binky and one child who nursed every 2 hours and didn't need the binky. We looked at it as a need of the child not as a "plug" to keep them quiet.

Good luck. Neither of my kids were sleepers so I was always tired too.

Return to Top
#591934 - 08/09/06 01:02 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
The American Pediatrics Society recently said that research indicates that the binka helps reduce the possibility of SIDS.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#591935 - 08/09/06 05:36 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Ok, time for the "old lady" with grown sons to chime in - raised two boys, both young men now. The oldest was a "binky baby" from birth on and never needed any speach therapy etc. He needed that binky and his blanket, even when he was in the hospital with a bad case of the flu, tube down his throat, oxygen "thing" in this nose. Funny to see him hold that blanket, binky in the side of the mouth so he could still breath but he needed that binky. Younger son never, never, never wanted a binky but we did the "sleepy dance" each and every night from about 6 months on, till I'm not sure when. You know the dance - rock, sing, pat the back, rock, sing, pat the back - finally put baby in bed, patting and singing all the time - slowing down the patting and singing until the hand was just hovering over the back and then slowly easing out of the room, holding ones breath for sure he would wake up if even a small squeek was heard. AND - half the time he heard some small sound - god only know what - and the sleeping dance would start again!!!! He was the one that breast fed until I had to paint myself green to get him to stop - oh yea, and by the way, that works As parents, you do what you need to do and try many, many different things until you find out what works for your child.

Not to say that some of the suggestions of sound machines, etc might not work but as a parent it's up to you to determine what you will try. Good luck PQ, and remember - this too shall pass and some day you'll be as old as this "old lady" and long for those days where your child was young again and you could/had to do the "Sleepy Dance" again ( or maybe when that first grandchild comes - OMG when will he or she come )

Return to Top
#591936 - 08/09/06 05:39 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

You know the dance - rock, sing, pat the back, rock, sing, pat the back - finally put baby in bed, patting and singing all the time - slowing down the patting and singing until the hand was just hovering over the back and then slowly easing out of the room, holding ones breath for sure he would wake up if even a small squeek was heard. AND - half the time he heard some small sound - god only know what - and the sleeping dance would start again!!!!

OMG, I remember that! You forgot to add how exhausted you were while doing it... squeeeeak...

Return to Top
#591937 - 08/14/06 06:11 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok if I'm an expert on anything anymore, NOT sleeping is my field

First, your darling should be able to (as we say to Jesse) give the baby the binky, on their own I surround Jesse's head and feet with binkies (we have dozens) and while it does not entirely stop him from waking and crying, it does give me an extra hour on occasion when he wakes and finds one easily (Jesse sleeps no more than 40 mins at a time without sedation). He does not go to bed before midnight so I know your pain. I just can't figure out how you function at work I can barely manage being a mom lately and that's my only focus! Big words are VERY confusing after a couple of hours sleep or less.

Tryaminic works better than benedryl. Kids can build up an ammunity to benedryl quickly. You might try tryaminic (flu version works for us) for a couple of nights, then go to a routine of tyraminic one night and benedryl the other (it works if you go off of it for a bit).

Our neurologist recommended meletonin. Do not buy the cheap drug store stuff though, ask the health store what the best brand is and use that. It is NOT dangerous and it does work sometimes for us after the sedation meds wear off. I hear it works well for "normal" babies The dose for an infant below 15lbs is 3mg, but we can go up to 5mg. 1mg worked for a while, so start at that lower end (3mg given your babies size probably) and if you need to go up you can. Again, per my neurologist, this is NOT harmful. You can't hurt the little darling with this stuff, nor overdose unless you go nuts so dont' worry about it.

I suggest a pill crusher, and we then mix that into rootbear (just a tiny bit) and shoot it in his mouth with a dropper. Because Jesse is ill we can't give him solid food, but since your darling eats cereal, you could try crushing it and adding it to some cereal just before bedtime.

In our case (and we're definately not the norm) it does not work to get him to sleep, but after sedation, it does help him sleep longer into the morning.

We alternate between Chloral Hydrate, Hydroxzine, Benedryl and Tryaminic every night so that Jesse won't build a tollerance to anything. The Chloral Hydrate works best, but it's a dangerous drug so we limit it.

I was recently sat down and lectured about the need for babies to sleep to be healthy (like I didn't know that). I'd been asking our docs to pay attention to his sleep patterns for SO LONG but got nothing from them until this neurologist got involved. Now everyone cares One other thing we are going to do is try a sleep clinic (if it's not "behavioral problems this is a good idea) and they will assess how to deal with pain issues and can prescribe other meds to help Jesse sleep. For many babies without cronic problems, they will prescribe these meds for just a couple of weeks to kick start the behavior (sleeping through the night) and it works for most kids.

As to the professional comments....I prefer my doctor's professional comments. "You have an ill baby. Something is wrong and at this point, do what it takes to survive, don't worry about the baby books with advice that rarely works even for healthy kids".

If this keeps up darling, take your sweetie to a sleep clinic. There could be something systemic that is keeping the baby awake (as in our case) if you've only had sleep through the night for a small period of time. If the poor darling has a tummy ache, or bone aches, etc., you aren't going to get them to sleep doing anything on your own, and you are going to get bigger bags under your eyes than mine

I'll think of you tonight whenever Jesse is awake (that will be alot...it's a "no drugs night" for rotation purposes).

Return to Top
#591938 - 08/21/06 02:18 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hope this is resolved by now. Bet one of these good suggestions worked.

Please don't take his "binky" away. I have never seen an adult with a binky, althought there are time's that I wish I had one...

Return to Top
#591939 - 08/22/06 04:03 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Hey gang. Well, we were on vacation last week and he slept in our room in a pack n play and for the most part, slept through the night. The first 2 nights home, up 3-5 times! Must have been that ocean air. Time to move to the beach permanently.

Return to Top
#591940 - 08/22/06 04:43 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
PQ - it sounds as though it's more habit than anything else from your post.

Return to Top
#591941 - 08/22/06 05:19 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
Why don't you try him in the pack n play in your room for one night and see what happens.

Return to Top
#591942 - 08/22/06 06:02 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Anonymous
Unregistered

They all sound like some really good advice. Make sure he is getting out and about during the day. Playing, laughing, having a good time. don't let him sleep too much during the day or shave a few minutes off nap time. Give him a bath, the cocktail, and a warm bottel. Good luck

Return to Top
#591943 - 08/22/06 06:17 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
PQ, I'm going to tag onto the put him in your room advice. Sounds like he may be having some seperation anxiety. That's not unusual for a 9 month old, especially one who doesn't spend the whole day with mommy because she's at work.

Before you all jump in, I didn't cosleep with my kids because I was lucky enough to be a stay-at-home mom until they started school.

My daughter, as some of you may recall, is Director of Nursing at a nearby nursing home and worked all kinds of crazy hours. So her daughter would end up in their bed regularly...just to be close to mom. We fretted some about her not sleeping in her own bed but she eventually outgrew it and became secure enough to enjoy her own space.

Try not to over work this in your head. There's really no 'right' way versus 'wrong' way. Go with your gut...and your heart...and believe me, this too shall pass!

Return to Top
#591944 - 08/23/06 11:38 AM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
The pack and play idea sounds good. Or, maybe you could re-arrange his bedroom; maybe there is something bothering him or scaring him on the walls or lights shining in or something.

PS, welcome back, glad you had a relaxing vacation... I am leaving on Friday...yayyyyy!

Return to Top
#591945 - 08/24/06 04:42 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Hi All!

Have any of you ever used a sound machine in your childs room? My 3 year old keeps getting out of bed scared and I finally figued what is causing her concern. A loud car comes home around 1am and it sets all the dogs in around us barking.

I thought maybe a sound machine would help muffle the noice. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Return to Top
#591946 - 08/24/06 04:50 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I beleive it is called White Noise. Like a steady hum of an air conditioner or a fan, which masks the occasional and sporatic noises.

Return to Top
#591947 - 08/24/06 05:45 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My son still uses the fan, even in the winter, forthe white noise. That may do the trick.

Return to Top
#591948 - 09/01/06 06:09 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

I'm a child development major. At about 9 months they are starting to teethe...Feel his gums to see if you can feel any teeth popping through. Due to teeth it bothers their ears. He is still depending on you and used to you coming in the room and giving him his binky. Ween him off the binky. I know its hard but let him cry himself back to sleep. If you dont get a sound machine and play some gentle music in the background. Usually that keeps them in a deep sleep throughout the night. Do not let your child sleep with a pacifier. Or if you do let them sleep with it then make them leave it in the bed and only have it at night. Children who continually have pacifiers in their mouth while teething and right when they get their teeth are liking to have an arch in their teeth which causes for speech therapy later on in their child years and also braces and a lisp. Try the sounds machine and music. It soothes babies at night while sleeping. Leave it on and make sure they have a toy in their bed that they love so when they wake up that can be a comfort for them instead of you being their only comfort.

1. Actually by 9 mos most children are well past the 'starting to teeth' phase and are into the 'cutting tooth number 5, 6, or 7' stage.

2. The AMA now recommends that babies under 1 year be permitted to sleep with a binky if they desire so as to reduce the risk of SIDS. Pacifiers do not affect teeth or speech unless they are constantly used after the age of 18 months, and even then, until about age 3, it's not ordinarily a big deal.

Pam - is this an ongoing issue or a new thing? Remember that when they are about to have a new milestone (ie, learning to walk or pull up) they have trouble sleeping because their brains are focused on their new 'trick'.

I truly think sleeping through is a 'try everything, what works for me won't work for you' deal. The Junebug never would sleep on her own in the crib, but the Grasshopper goes happily down by himself for naps and the night.

Having said that, some of the things that seem to help for us are:

* white noise - for the Grasshopper I run a vaporizer all night, and I know if it's off, he wakes up.
* I am a strict believer in bedtime routine - we ALWAYS do bath, rock with bottle, read book, go down in the crib, turn on the crib aquarium toy, lights out. I think the routine helps to prep him for going to sleep. He also needs his blanket, his binky, and his favorite stuffed animal. And like yours, if mine wakes up in the night, he needs the binky back in.

And I know a couple of the moms who had babies around the time I had the Junebug had luck with the following - sleep begets sleep. What they did that worked was actually to put the baby to bed EARLIER. One girl found that her baby needed to go to bed for the night at 6pm (I can't imagine, with my little night owl Junebug.) If she put her down any later than that, the baby was up and down all night.

Good luck.

And what position do you want your baby to play on the team? I'm thinking the Grasshopper should be a linebacker, at 9 months and 26 pounds.

Return to Top
#591949 - 09/01/06 06:11 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Quote:

You know the dance - rock, sing, pat the back, rock, sing, pat the back - finally put baby in bed, patting and singing all the time - slowing down the patting and singing until the hand was just hovering over the back and then slowly easing out of the room, holding ones breath for sure he would wake up if even a small squeek was heard. AND - half the time he heard some small sound - god only know what - and the sleeping dance would start again!!!!

OMG, I remember that! You forgot to add how exhausted you were while doing it... squeeeeak...

Ooooh, I'm a vet of this one too. Our resolution was to co-sleep. Yeah, ok, she still sleeps with us but hey - EVERYBODY sleeps now.

Return to Top
#591950 - 09/01/06 07:24 PM Re: 9 month old doesn't sleep...desparate for advice!
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Disclaimer: I have no children.

However, my sister-in-law and brother (heavily sleep deprived until the past month) HIGHLY recommend the suggestions and routines in the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". They are recommending it to everyone (even me, and I have no kids!) LOL Thought I'd pass that on, FWIW.

Good luck, and I hope that everyone gets more sleep soon.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett