Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#593467 - 08/04/06 02:11 PM RTFP
notuntermywatch Offline
Gold Star
MN
I'm looking through RTFP and can't seem to wrap my arms around if a request from the Department of Veterans affairs needs a certification or not before we release information?

Any thoughts?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#593468 - 08/04/06 02:25 PM Re: RTFP
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
Depends entirely on what they are asking for.

There is an exception for some types of requests from the Department of Veterans Affairs. It is found in Section 3413(p) and reads as follows:

(p) Access to information necessary for administration of certain veteran benefits laws
(1) Nothing in this chapter shall apply to the disclosure by the financial institution of the name and address of any customer to the Department of Veterans Affairs where the disclosure of such information is necessary to, and such information is used solely for the purposes of, the proper administration of benefits programs under laws administered by the Secretary.
(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any request authorized by paragraph (1) (and the information contained therein) may be used by the financial institution or its agents solely for the purpose of providing the customer's name and address to the Department of Veterans Affairs and shall be barred from redisclosure by the financial institution or its agents.

Note that it is a very narrow exception and only allows you to provide name and address.

Return to Top
#593469 - 08/04/06 06:13 PM Re: RTFP
notuntermywatch Offline
Gold Star
MN
FYI - If you get one of these requesting verification of unearned income, if it doesn't have the certification you need to respond back to them that you cannot provide without authorization from the customer. This is what I learned from calling the Dep. of Veteran Affairs. I guess banks do this all the time.
Last edited by notuntermywatch; 08/04/06 07:43 PM.
Return to Top