Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#59575 - 02/06/03 03:44 PM Patriot Act
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
An elderly couple in our area always pays their insurance by money order. Their insurance company told them they will no longer be able to accept money orders or Cashier's Checks as payment because of the Patriot Act. Can anyone tell me if or where the Patriot Act prohibits the use of money orders and Cashier's Checks?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#59576 - 02/06/03 04:07 PM Re: Patriot Act
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
I'm not aware that it does, so I'd guess that the insurance company thinks that it will be easier to ensure their own compliance with the Patriot Act by not accepting them.

Return to Top
#59577 - 02/06/03 04:10 PM Re: Patriot Act
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Unless I'm missing something, I think the insurance company is blowing smoke (or smoking an illicit substance). I'm not aware of any reason not to accept money orders or cashier's checks in payment for insurance premiums.

The insurance company may have concerns with accepting large payments (single premium annuities, etc.) because they might have CTR filing requirements, but I don't see the issue with garden-variety payments.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top