Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#595905 - 08/09/06 08:02 PM OFAC question
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Does anyone know of an easy-to-use website for performing one-time OFAC searches - a site that is secure and can give me something in writing guaranteeing that they use up-to-date OFAC list for comparison? I would use OFAC's site but you have to type the name LAST, FIRST before the pdf file will give you a proper comparison and if you use the text version, you have to keep hitting "find next" to be sure you looked at all potential matches.

Thanks !

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#595906 - 08/09/06 09:10 PM Re: OFAC question
Nick Phillips Offline
illinois
Not that I know of. We used to download the OFAC file from OFAC's site and put it into an Excel document and complete our searches from there. We now use our platform system and a report is generated proving all inquiries.

Return to Top
#595907 - 08/09/06 10:11 PM Re: OFAC question
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
I think bridger has a free account set up. I think they are in the vendor area. Try that. Not sure if that have the writing guaranteeing part that you are looking for though.

Return to Top
#595908 - 08/10/06 01:39 AM Re: OFAC question
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You are not going to get anyone to guarantee anything that they are giving away. Buy a service.

Return to Top
#595909 - 08/10/06 02:50 PM Re: OFAC question
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
At the CA Bankers Compliance Conference last October, the question was asked (in the Regulator Panel) about using the OFAC website to do searches. The Regulator, I think from FRB SF, made it clear that using the OFAC site was unacceptable.

Using the search/find function in Excel or Acrobat Reader is absolutely literal, letter for letter. Interdiction software uses algorithms for "sounds like" functions as well as variations of names translated from other languages.

She indicated that software was available for "well under $1,000" per year and that a bank unwilling to spend that little was inviting criticism.

Al

Return to Top
#595910 - 08/10/06 07:00 PM Re: OFAC question
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Thanks for everyone's input - both positive and negative.

BTW_--I love the information and expertise that is gained from using this site, but can some of you re-read your responses before posting? There are ways to say what you want to say without "sounding" blunt, critical or the way that some of the responses above sound.

Think about it

Return to Top
#595911 - 08/10/06 09:12 PM Re: OFAC question
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Bridger Insight as referenced above has a good sight with a free name check. Click on Free OFAC name check. Then on the top right of the page it gives you a login and password box for the free name check, right below that it says "first time?" click on that to set up a username and password.

Return to Top
#595912 - 08/11/06 06:34 PM Re: OFAC question
Jim Offline
100 Club
New York State
Try "Instant OFAC" You can do a search there. We use this only if our branches are off line. Thankfully it haapens rarely.

Return to Top
#595913 - 08/12/06 02:22 AM Re: OFAC question
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
There was a recent post on this subject, and we checked the accuracy of InstantOfac.com and found it lacking.
We have had all staff remove it as a resource.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z