BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Thread Options
#596082 - 08/10/06 01:27 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

How would everyone be reacting if the plot hadn't been announced and a plane blew up in mid-air? Would you all be screaming that we should have been told? The innocent people on the planes should have been informed prior to getting on the planes?

actually, i would be furious that they politicized an event by making it more about what is disseminated and what wasn't INSTEAD OF TAKING ACTION!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#596083 - 08/10/06 01:29 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Bush Puts Pants on One Leg at a Time

but does he then make gold records? i didn't think so.

Return to Top
#596084 - 08/10/06 01:29 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

While I'm generally in favor of open communication, I think that in this area we should only be told what we immediately need to know. More details of these situations can be released in reports months later when they're less likely to cause panic. There doesn't seem to be any strategy with regard to airport screening -- standards change based on the news of the day.

I agree. I think this administration will grab at any straw to make their decisions in Iraq seem valid and if that means causing mass panic, then that's what they will do.

So let me get this straight, you want them to tell us how they are after Bin Ladin and company, and not keep any of that secret, but when they foil a plot you don't want them to talk about it either?

Did you ever think that in putting out there that they had foiled the plot, the ones they hadn't caught would know that they might as well call off their part of the plan?

Typical liberals, let's only hear about the Bush administrations failures, never their successes, because they are OBVIOUSLY only being put out their to improve his image....

Return to Top
#596085 - 08/10/06 01:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

While I'm generally in favor of open communication, I think that in this area we should only be told what we immediately need to know. More details of these situations can be released in reports months later when they're less likely to cause panic. There doesn't seem to be any strategy with regard to airport screening -- standards change based on the news of the day.

I agree. I think this administration will grab at any straw to make their decisions in Iraq seem valid and if that means causing mass panic, then that's what they will do.

So let me get this straight, you want them to tell us how they are after Bin Ladin and company, and not keep any of that secret, but when they foil a plot you don't want them to talk about it either?

Did you ever think that in putting out there that they had foiled the plot, the ones they hadn't caught would know that they might as well call off their part of the plan?

Typical liberals, let's only hear about the Bush administrations failures, never their successes, because they are OBVIOUSLY only being put out their to improve his image....

sweet! i am not a typical liberal!!! let this be a lesson to all the sheep out there!

Return to Top
#596086 - 08/10/06 01:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Just heard on the radio...Pakistani / Muslim descent, British citizens now.

10 planes were to be bombed!! High 2000's to 3000 people would have died.

Return to Top
#596087 - 08/10/06 01:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Huh?

Return to Top
#596088 - 08/10/06 01:36 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I'm glad they told us they foiled the plot. It's comforting to know they are doing something to stop these attacks and it is effective.

Return to Top
#596089 - 08/10/06 01:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Huh?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/99/99pcowbell.phtml

Return to Top
#596090 - 08/10/06 01:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Ok, I didn't say anything about this being manipulated by the administration. If it had been, then the story would have come out a few days ago to try to help Lieberman's election.

I'm just saying that thought should be given as to how and when information is released. Sure battle victories should be celebrated, but telling people things like this immediately, so close to home (for the western world in general) while simultaneously clamping down on security causes a frenzy. I don't think it was intentionally done to do that, but it does all the same.

What was the form of the weapon they were planning? Did it require an ounce of liquid or a liter? Could it be disguised as any type of toiletry or could a rough description of it be given to TSA screeners to look for spefically. It sounds like the TSA doesn't even know details -- they're just given the directive to not allow any liquids. Just like the imminent threat nail clippers posed.

As a risk professional, let me say that we are not doing a very good job at risk assessment with regard to the "War on Terror." We react to the latest news. We rush to clamp down security at airports because of today's news, while other threats may be left unattended.

People often call these terrorists masterminds, but if they were truly masterminds they could have hit us in countless ways since 911. They could have blown up power plants or oil pipelines, they could have coordinated a simulatneous set of small scale attacks on elementary schools across the nation, they could have hit New Orleans right after the flooding and made the situation many times worse. We have virtually endless vulnerabilities. We can either remain a free country and manage our risks, or run around trying to clamp down on everything and turn the U.S. into a police state.

Return to Top
#596091 - 08/10/06 01:42 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

saying that they wouldn't be so quick to put it on the news if it didn't make them look good.

I'm still trying to determine at what point the current administration began controlling the media. can SP post a link for me? I'm very confused

Return to Top
#596092 - 08/10/06 01:46 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
TICG-until we know more about this chemical, what choice do we have? This is no win situation-if nothing is done or we wait until we know more, something tragic could happen. On the other hand, we go extreme and ban all liquids.... Unfortunately, we have to err on the side of caution-it is sad it has come to this, but what else can you do?????

Return to Top
#596093 - 08/10/06 01:50 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
From what I heard this morning, the liquid was Nitroglycerine and they had it in Contact solution bottles.

Return to Top
#596094 - 08/10/06 01:51 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

saying that they wouldn't be so quick to put it on the news if it didn't make them look good.

I'm still trying to determine at what point the current administration began controlling the media. can SP post a link for me? I'm very confused

No need to be snarky. If you don't understand that the administration can control the media by what is leaked, to which sources, at certain times, based on favors for later scoops, etc. then you aren't as savvy as you pretend to be.

Return to Top
#596095 - 08/10/06 02:00 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

TICG: What frenzy?

Return to Top
#596096 - 08/10/06 02:01 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Snarky - I like that. I may start using it.

Maybe I should have been more clear...how does the US administration control the media in foreign countries? Or is this all just part of the grand Bush conspiracy?

Return to Top
#596097 - 08/10/06 02:04 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Ok, I didn't say anything about this being manipulated by the administration.

Pardon?

Quote:

Great way they disclose it to everyone. Like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater. We can't be told that the government has phone calls or money transfers under surveillance, but they make sure we know about every foiled terrorist plot as soon as possible.

Return to Top
#596098 - 08/10/06 02:05 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Snarky - I like that. I may start using it.

Maybe I should have been more clear...how does the US administration control the media in foreign countries? Or is this all just part of the grand Bush conspiracy?

I stole snarky from "That 70's Show," so I can't claim credit for it.

I don't think there is a grand Bush conspiracy. If there were he wouldn't look like such a chucklehead. I just think the administration had a lot of influence when it comes to when/how these stories are broken. I would further say that our administration would have little or no control in countries that don't support Bush or his war, but being that Britain is one of our few allies, I would assume Mr. Blair would have/could have lended a hand.

Return to Top
#596099 - 08/10/06 02:14 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

From what I heard this morning, the liquid was Nitroglycerine and they had it in Contact solution bottles.

I think some sources are theorizing it was nitroglycerin in contact lens solution bottles because there had been a plot in 1995 using that.

The current crew could just as easily have been planning to use nitroethane or methyl nitrate. (Methyl nitrate wouldn't require an external detonator.)

Return to Top
#596100 - 08/10/06 02:20 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

This idea is nothing new. Al Qaeda was planning to bomb airlines back in 95, using contact lens solution, in Operation Bojinka.

Nitroglycerine is extremely unstable, and can explode from just shaking it.

Return to Top
#596101 - 08/10/06 02:23 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

This idea is nothing new. Al Qaeda was planning to bomb airlines back in 95, using contact lens solution, in Operation Bojinka.

Well, it *can* be. Stored properly, it's pretty stable.

Return to Top
#596102 - 08/10/06 02:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is good news. Why are we fussing about it in the Cooler? A plot was foiled - good news. It doesn't make Bush or Blair better men or worse men. It doesn't change the path to Iraq or anything that is going on in the Middle East. A crises has been averted. Hallelujah! Let's move on.

Suzy

Return to Top
#596103 - 08/10/06 02:40 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Nitroglycerine is extremely unstable, and can explode from just shaking it

Which explains the nickname...skunkboy, the one handed wonder???

Return to Top
#596104 - 08/10/06 02:47 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Contact solution is an explosive?

Return to Top
#596105 - 08/10/06 02:50 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
Quote:

Maybe all of the terrorists are actually working for Bush.

I have a conspiracy-theorist friend (who's more than a little crazy) who swears Osama Bin Laden is a CIA puppet who is used to scare the public everytime the government wants to do something drastic.

Return to Top
#596106 - 08/10/06 02:51 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
With thousands of people stuck at Gatwick and Heathrow in London with nothing but time on their hands until they finally get through security and onto a plane, don't you think they might be passing the time by calling their families and friends from their cell phones? They would be telling them what a mess it is in the airport, and that they won't allow any liquids as carry-ons. Seems to me, that news getting out in that fashion would be more disruptive than an official British news release. Remember also, none of the information was released until AFTER they arrested 21 people. They may have been working on this for months.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10