BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Thread Options
#596282 - 08/14/06 01:18 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
The local paper in NO this weekend said that "British authorites do not believe Al-Queda was involved in this plot." Seems that no one knows, and at least one person has already been released.

On another terror note, several people were arrested in the US this weekend for having too many cell phones. Two in Michigan had over 1,000 phones, and another one (don't recall where) had over 600 in possession.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#596283 - 08/14/06 01:29 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Noted in the ABA's 'lighter side' portion of their daily news e-mail:

Quote:

"British authorities said they were able to detect the terrorist plot using a surveillance program that the New York Times hadn't got around to exposing yet." – Jay Leno

Heh.

ABA failed to realize that -5- has no lighter side. Even jokes by Jay Leno have serious national security implications.

Return to Top
#596284 - 08/14/06 01:37 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'm sure the ABA regrets this oversight, and any inconvenience it has caused.

Return to Top
#596285 - 08/14/06 01:46 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

The local paper in NO this weekend said that "British authorites do not believe Al-Queda was involved in this plot." Seems that no one knows, and at least one person has already been released.

On another terror note, several people were arrested in the US this weekend for having too many cell phones. Two in Michigan had over 1,000 phones, and another one (don't recall where) had over 600 in possession.

Read about the "cell phone" thing this weekend! Very strange. The 3 guys were from TX.

But come on now...can you ever REALLY have too many cell phones?

Return to Top
#596286 - 08/14/06 02:06 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wait, so WHY did they have all those phones?

-=ThePaul=-

Return to Top
#596287 - 08/14/06 02:13 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

-=ThePaul=-

From what I understand, they're treated as one-time use, disposable phones. They can't be traced, so they're helpful in transmitting information.

Return to Top
#596288 - 08/14/06 02:18 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmm, interesting...

-=ThePaul=-

Return to Top
#596289 - 08/14/06 02:30 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
they were tracphones, bought with cash at wal-mart (I can see the new anti-terrorist cell phone poicy being implemented where you can only buy 3 phones a day...haha). Since no ID is required to buy, they are untraceable. Supposedly can be used to remotely detonate bombs...

Return to Top
#596290 - 08/14/06 02:57 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Looks like they're already banning cell phones and all other electronic devices on planes in Great Britain...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060814/ap_o...mhuBHNlYwNtdHM-

Return to Top
#596291 - 08/14/06 04:57 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

-=ThePaul=-

It's mostly arabs that buy the phones. I can only explain the Michigan guys. They go to Ohio or some other state with a lower tax, buy the phones, then come back here and sell them to mostly inner city gas stations owned by other arabs, usually family. That way the station owner can jack up the price, pay no sales tax to Michigan since there is no record that they are selling them and make a good chunk of change. Not to sound bitter, just the facts, around here there are so many scams that the arab community does to avoid paying taxes that it isn't even funny. One restaurant owner owes millions so he fled to Lebanon which has no extridiction. He also had a ton of phoney passports.
I know the mother of one of the guys arrested in Ohio, nice lady, I feel bad for her. I wouldn't think she has a son like that. Her younger son and mine went to France together for an educational exchange program.

Return to Top
#596292 - 08/14/06 05:36 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
They did claim they were going to resell to a wholesaler and make a profit. Last time I looked, there was no law against buying cell phones and transporting them over state lines...This seems like a case of making a crime fit the evidence instaed of the other way around.

Return to Top
#596293 - 08/14/06 06:21 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

They did claim they were going to resell to a wholesaler and make a profit....

Arbitrage can be an exotic and arcane practice, but in my experience, I've never, ever seen anyone buy something at retail and resell it to a wholesaler at a profit.

For example, (and this just came up in conversation yesterday....) I can buy clementines from a cut-price produce mart at retail for $3/unit weight. They're not first quality, but OK. A produce wholesaler can buy 1st quality clementines from the growers at say $1.50/unit weight. You can't possibly make a profit, buying at retail and attempting to sell to a wholesaler.

Return to Top
#596294 - 08/14/06 08:09 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
There is an article in todays Detroit Free Press you can read at freep.com. It basically says it may seem unusual to buy hundreds of cell phns but metro Detroiters of middle eastern descent say that practice is part of a long tradition of entrepreneurship in arab-american communities.
Many new immigrants or emerging businessmen earn money by buying cell phones then selling to gas stations, distributors or stores.
In MI you can talk to almost any family in the arab community and they all have some relative in the cell business. (or liquor store or gas station, my comment)
Here's how it works:
An independent entrepreneur will buy the phones for say $8.00 ea. He will sell them to a distributor for $12, making a $4 profit. Multiply that by a thousand and you have a $4000.00 profit. Many people of arab descent "are traders by nature".
That's the jist of the article. I ask, do any of them pay a sales tax? And the answer would be no, since there is no record.

Return to Top
#596295 - 08/14/06 08:21 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Quote:

There is an article in todays Detroit Free Press you can read at freep.com. It basically says it may seem unusual to buy hundreds of cell phns but metro Detroiters of middle eastern descent say that practice is part of a long tradition of entrepreneurship in arab-american communities.
Many new immigrants or emerging businessmen earn money by buying cell phones then selling to gas stations, distributors or stores.
In MI you can talk to almost any family in the arab community and they all have some relative in the cell business. (or liquor store or gas station, my comment)
Here's how it works:
An independent entrepreneur will buy the phones for say $8.00 ea. He will sell them to a distributor for $12, making a $4 profit. Multiply that by a thousand and you have a $4000.00 profit. Many people of arab descent "are traders by nature".
That's the jist of the article. I ask, do any of them pay a sales tax? And the answer would be no, since there is no record.

I am curious-where would one legally obtain a phone for $8?

I bought one of those prepaid phones a couple years ago and it was more like $50 or so....

Return to Top
#596296 - 08/14/06 09:52 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

so when they buy the phone for $8, no tax is paid? Or are you saying no tax is paid on the resale at $12. And do you know for a fact it isn't paid? Or is this just speculation?

"gist" not "jist"

Return to Top
#596297 - 08/15/06 03:10 AM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Quote:

so when they buy the phone for $8, no tax is paid? Or are you saying no tax is paid on the resale at $12. And do you know for a fact it isn't paid? Or is this just speculation?

"gist" not "jist"

Happy , I don't want to argue with you but it's not speculation. it's fact. If you lived in this community you would understand the underlyng (sp)problem with fraud.
I know of many arab women that have divorced that tell me that their husbands are ripping off the US government. Remember that I lived in this community of 30% islamic people. I have a greater understanding than most of Ameican people. I interactic with these people more than most. Hey, I will say that I don't agree with them or like them, but they are my neighbors and my kids schoolmates, so I know them better than most.

Return to Top
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10