Thread Options
#596182 - 08/10/06 07:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, I heard 20 planes, so I think millions may be a bit of an exaggeration.

They were big planes.

The new A380's?

Well, if you want to be conservative and take that number down to one million, each plane would need to carry about 50,000 people. I hate when you get on those planes, they always run out of tomato juice by the time they get to row #1046.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#596183 - 08/10/06 07:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Did someone say Grey Goose?

Sure, I'll have a Grey Goose and OJ, thanks.

Return to Top
#596184 - 08/10/06 07:35 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They were big planes.

The new A380's?

Well, if you want to be conservative and take that number down to one million, each plane would need to carry about 50,000 people. I hate when you get on those planes, they always run out of tomato juice by the time they get to row #1046.

Maybe the person who will eventually cure AIDS was on one of those planes.

Return to Top
#596185 - 08/10/06 07:35 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They were big planes.

The new A380's?

You actually think they only planned to kill the people ON the planes? No chance they would hit strategic targets like airports, large office buildings, public squares, etc.? I guess 3000 people fit on two planes on 9/11. Maybe you SHOULD see the movie.

Return to Top
#596186 - 08/10/06 07:37 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

With 20 planes, no. With 20 planes carrying a nuclear weapon, yes.

So that's where Sadaam hid those WMDs...

Return to Top
#596187 - 08/10/06 07:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still can't believe they aren't screening at the airports for snakes.

Return to Top
#596188 - 08/10/06 07:40 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Maybe the person who will eventually cure AIDS was on one of those planes.

he won't be. he started to fade like michael j fox did on stage in back to the future as soon as W signed the stem cell veto.

Return to Top
#596189 - 08/10/06 07:40 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They were big planes.

The new A380's?

You actually think they only planned to kill the people ON the planes? No chance they would hit strategic targets like airports, large office buildings, public squares, etc.? I guess 3000 people fit on two planes on 9/11. Maybe you SHOULD see the movie.

Quote:

—Robert Windrem, NBC News Investigative Producer

More from a counterterrorism official familiar with the plan to blow up several aircraft heading to the U.S.:

— The plan called for the flights to blown up in flight near simultaneously, close enough so that flight controllers would not be able to ground planes, and far enough out in the Atlantic so that pilots would have no place to land.
— The plan was to have the attacks carried out near the 9-11anniversary, but apparently no specific date had been set for the attacks.
— The attacks were planned for "up to 10 flights" on four airlines: Continental, United, American, and British Airways.
— The loss of life was planned to be "comparable to the death toll of 9/11,” meaning close to 3,000 dead.
— The attack was planned as a suicide mission.
— The official said that there is "very good reason to believe that this is al-Qaida.”

How many people live in the middle of the Atlantic, BF?

Return to Top
#596190 - 08/10/06 07:44 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Absolutely huge metroplex in Godthab; office buildings, airports, public squares, the works! Oh, the horror!

Return to Top
#596191 - 08/10/06 07:47 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I still can't believe they aren't screening at the airports for snakes.

LOLOL!!!!!!!!

-=ThePaul=-

Return to Top
#596192 - 08/10/06 07:49 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone who isn't given to accept correction made a post that included an exaggerated figure. Fine - correct him. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate to joke about targets or numbers of victims. It is attempted mass murder we're talking about, let's keep that in mind.

Return to Top
#596193 - 08/10/06 07:50 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Maybe that's what happened to Atlantis...

Return to Top
#596194 - 08/10/06 07:55 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe that's what happened to Atlantis...

We aren't supposed to be having fun here.

Return to Top
#596195 - 08/10/06 08:23 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Someone who isn't given to accept correction made a post that included an exaggerated figure. Fine - correct him. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate to joke about targets or numbers of victims. It is attempted mass murder we're talking about, let's keep that in mind.

Suggesting that BF "isn't given to accept correction" is a bit of an understatement, isn't it? In my opinion, humor is the most appropriate response to his bile.

Besides, have you ever *been* to Godthab?

Return to Top
#596196 - 08/10/06 08:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Suggesting that BF "isn't given to accept correction" is a bit of an understatement, isn't it? In my opinion, humor is the most appropriate response to his bile.

If indeed they didn't have any plan to destroy any more public centers, goody. Even if they planned to get everyone off the plane before destroying them, do you people STILL think it would have caused fewer delays than actually catching them.

Bile? I think not. Perhaps I exaggerated the numbers, I've admitted to that. I did not realize that we were absolutely positively certain that there were no civilian targets involved in any of these 20 planes they were going to take either. However, I find it odd that some of you who claim our intelligence wasn't good enough to justify going into Iraq to shut down WMD production that wasn't there are now standing by the opinions of our intelligence services who said there were no civilian targets in mind. Interesting dichotomy.

Return to Top
#596197 - 08/10/06 08:36 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

Lets see, how many died with THREE planes last time? You don't think with 20 they could kill millions

the white house lead media, with input from our cronies in Great Britain, has reported that the plot was to blow up the planes over the ocean, so collateral damage to those not on the plane would be negligable. And, since 9/11 airlines have adopted strict "don't open the cockpit door in flight" rules, so chances that they could overtake the plane are almost zero. And since the doors are now steel, I don't think they could secure entry (unless it was Steven Segal or Chuck Norris, those guys rock)

Return to Top
#596198 - 08/10/06 08:37 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If indeed they didn't have any plan to destroy any more public centers, goody. Even if they planned to get everyone off the plane before destroying them, do you people STILL think it would have caused fewer delays than actually catching them.

Bile? I think not. Perhaps I exaggerated the numbers, I've admitted to that. I did not realize that we were absolutely positively certain that there were no civilian targets involved in any of these 20 planes they were going to take either. However, I find it odd that some of you who claim our intelligence wasn't good enough to justify going into Iraq to shut down WMD production that wasn't there are now standing by the opinions of our intelligence services who said there were no civilian targets in mind. Interesting dichotomy.

Excellent use of the strawman, BF. What other literary devices would you like to demonstrate?

Return to Top
#596199 - 08/10/06 08:43 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if the intelligence services are able to prove that the plan involved blowing up civilian targets, or if civilian targets are actually blown up as part of this plot, then you would have a dichotomy, as the intelligence services would be wrong again, as they have since proven to be wrong regarding Iraq and WMD.

But. many, including myself, believed the intelligence services at the time about Iraq. Do you think if someone makes an error, they are always wrong about everything?

This belief might explain why you refuse to admit your own mistakes.

Return to Top
#596200 - 08/10/06 08:45 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

standing by the opinions of our intelligence services who said there were no civilian targets in mind

None of the reports I've read quote any US sources, much less US intelligence sources...maybe I need to read more. Or is it possible the white house lead media is intentionally leaving this information out so I really may never know what they know, or don't know?

Return to Top
#596201 - 08/10/06 09:11 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Obviously the White House doesn't want to have to answer to complyguy for their evil trumpeting of this information immediately (ok, three months) prior to the election, so they've asked the lapdog media to attribute the information to UK sources. The media, as always, wants to make the Bushies look good, so they comply.

Return to Top
#596202 - 08/10/06 09:19 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why does this have to turn political at all? Can't we just be joyous in the fact that a real threat was disabled today? Can't you people find good in anything? We, as a nation, along with England, should be proud that all of us are not glued to tv's right now watching horrific events unfold in front of our eyes, like we were doing 5 years ago. I don't care about your crazy political views right now. All of us should be rejoicing that we triumphed over those bastards today.

Return to Top
#596203 - 08/10/06 09:22 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Why does this have to turn political at all? Can't we just be joyous in the fact that a real threat was disabled today? Can't you people find good in anything? We, as a nation, along with England, should be proud that all of us are not glued to tv's right now watching horrific events unfold in front of our eyes, like we were doing 5 years ago. I don't care about your crazy political views right now. All of us should be rejoicing that we triumphed over those bastards today.

I already tried this, anon. Oh well!

Suzy

Return to Top
#596204 - 08/10/06 09:29 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Suzy

This wasn't political by you:

Quote:

True, -5-, but why are the conservatives breaking their arms patting themselves on the back?

Return to Top
#596205 - 08/10/06 09:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Suzy

Aren't you the same little girl who wrote: "why are the conservatives breaking their arms patting themselves on the back?"

Anon, I agree, it shouldn't have been made political. Unfortunately, when some of us argued that the rabid left was silly to peddle their conspiracy theories about this, it devolved into that. Smilin' Sunshine should have been able to be thankful that the plot was disrupted without us all having to hear about how it was an evil Rovian scheme.

Return to Top
#596206 - 08/10/06 09:36 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

This is good news. Why are we fussing about it in the Cooler?

That's a good question, Suzy. Why are some liberals on this thread fussing about good news? It's almost as if they don't want any good news to happen while George W. Bush is still in office.

Only have -5- said this, anon (another anon or the same anon?). It was not just the Liberals fussing; it was both parties. To state that is was just one is not true.

Suzy

Return to Top
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10