Learn More - Click Here!

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Thread Options
#596232 - 08/11/06 03:29 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Or you could look at it like this:

The first story (written without all the facts) was very sensational and made the danger seem imminent. Upon further reivew (and additional information) there was no imminent threat.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#596233 - 08/11/06 03:38 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Or you could look at it like this:

The first story (written without all the facts) was very sensational and made the danger seem imminent. Upon further reivew (and additional information) there was no imminent threat.

i don't know how you perceive there to be no imminent threat. they were going to do a run through in the near future and then it was a matter of days before they attempted it. seems pretty imminent to me. not as imminent as it being lunch time in a couple of minutes but in terms of terrorism planning, this was 90% completed.

Return to Top
#596234 - 08/11/06 03:39 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Blame the Brits. They still have it in for us since that 1776 thing!

Return to Top
#596235 - 08/11/06 03:57 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

Blame the Brits. They still have it in for us since that 1776 thing

Dang - never thought of it like that. You have an excellent point. Plus, they like their beer warm. Always suspect someone who doesn't like a cold beer

Return to Top
#596236 - 08/11/06 04:01 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Don’t forget the whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing.

Return to Top
#596237 - 08/11/06 04:03 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Don’t forget the whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing.

LOL!

Return to Top
#596238 - 08/11/06 04:23 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

i don't know how you perceive there to be no imminent threat. they were going to do a run through in the near future and then it was a matter of days before they attempted it. seems pretty imminent to me. not as imminent as it being lunch time in a couple of minutes but in terms of terrorism planning, this was 90% completed.

Sure, my doctor found the tumor, but he doesn't deserve any praise - I could have lived for another three months, probably!

Why is everybody treating the little Dutch boy like he's such a hero? It's not like anyone would have drowned immediately!

The question is, do people really believe the crap they post, or is it just to see how deranged they can appear and how much criticism they can bring upon themselves, in order to whine about it later?

Return to Top
#596239 - 08/11/06 04:28 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Someone who isn't given to accept correction made a post that included an exaggerated figure. Fine - correct him. But I'm not sure that it's appropriate to joke about targets or numbers of victims. It is attempted mass murder we're talking about, let's keep that in mind.

Suggesting that BF "isn't given to accept correction" is a bit of an understatement, isn't it? In my opinion, humor is the most appropriate response to his bile.

If indeed they didn't have any plan to destroy any more public centers, goody. Even if they planned to get everyone off the plane before destroying them, do you people STILL think it would have caused fewer delays than actually catching them.

Bile? I think not. Perhaps I exaggerated the numbers, I've admitted to that. I did not realize that we were absolutely positively certain that there were no civilian targets involved in any of these 20 planes they were going to take either. However, I find it odd that some of you who claim our intelligence wasn't good enough to justify going into Iraq to shut down WMD production that wasn't there are now standing by the opinions of our intelligence services who said there were no civilian targets in mind. Interesting dichotomy.

Well, if the intelligence services are able to prove that the plan involved blowing up civilian targets, or if civilian targets are actually blown up as part of this plot, then you would have a dichotomy, as the intelligence services would be wrong again, as they have since proven to be wrong regarding Iraq and WMD.

But. many, including myself, believed the intelligence services at the time about Iraq. Do you think if someone makes an error, they are always wrong about everything?

This belief might explain why you refuse to admit your own mistakes.

Straw, where do you see me saying that they didn't make a mistake or are always wrong about everything? What I'm saying is that I find it interesting that some of the same people who argued that our intelligence stunk at one of the most important moments possible, are now making the assumption that it is correct this time.

As far as admitting to my own mistakes, perhaps you should learn to read. I have often admitted to my mistakes, including in this very thread.

Saying the numbers may be exaggerated and then giving examples to show your numbers were possible is not admitting a mistake. It's trying to justify the original numbers. If I call you a "son of a gun" and then apologize for it, but outine all the reasons why you really ARE a "son of a gun," have I really done apologized?

Ahhh, I see, another reading challenged BOL anon. Welcome aboard. If you'll read, I flat out admitted that millions was too high, that hundreds of thousands were possible, even likely. Then when it was pointed out that the suspected targets were not public centers, but merely the planes, I asked if that changed anything about how much slower getting through airports would be if 20 planes were hijacked at once.

I did say that I found it interesting that the same people lambasting Bush for having bad intelligence on WMDs are now accepting the intelligence on the targets as gospel. Why? Because that dichotomy of thought does not make sense.

The only thing I have trouble reading is your mind, because you believe you said you were wrong, but I don't see that anywhere in your comments. You said the numbers were exaggerated, but you did not say your whole premise was wrong and then you raised your bogus analogy.

Please keep up the fight though; the more obstinate you are, the less credible you become. Good job.

Return to Top
#596240 - 08/11/06 04:58 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I was watching the news last night and saw that they were not launching the attack yesterday, they just made the arrests. So no one was in imminent danger yesterday.

You are right. I heard this morning that the target date was August 16th. So, there was no imminent danger.

Return to Top
#596241 - 08/11/06 05:01 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Is that the target date for the practice run, or for the actual bombing? August 16 is only 5 days away.

Return to Top
#596242 - 08/11/06 05:01 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

What does it matter when the plot was to take place?!?!? The fact remains that there was a plot and that it was foiled! Get over it.

Geesh, I didn't say it wasn't good that the plot was foiled. Just that no one was ripped from the jaws of death like this is being portrayed. Why don't you get over it?

I guess British intelligence operatives haven't read enough espionage novels. If they had, they'd know that stopping the terrorists in mid-air--just as they were mixing in the last ingredient--would have been much more exciting. Maybe next time.

Return to Top
#596243 - 08/11/06 05:06 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Is that the target date for the practice run, or for the actual bombing? August 16 is only 5 days away.

From the Daily Mail:

Terrorists were planning to unleash a series of deadly mid-air explosions on flights between London and America on August 16, it has been revealed today.

But as our friendly BOL liberals have pointed out, that is not imminent...no one was ripped from the jaws of death. Heck the British operatives had a week. They should have taken a much needed vacation in Bermuda and then come back and captured the terrorist in mid-air. Now, that would make interesting reading.

(Please don't get offended anyone. This is all tongue and cheek. If you can't take the teasing, stay out of the cooler! )

Return to Top
#596244 - 08/11/06 05:13 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
I read earlier today that the US actually wanted them to wait a little longer before making the arrests. Something to do with the head man not being in England at the time. They have also made arrests in Pakistan today, so maybe they got him there.

Return to Top
#596245 - 08/11/06 05:20 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What does it matter when the plot was to take place?!?!? The fact remains that there was a plot and that it was foiled! Get over it.

Geesh, I didn't say it wasn't good that the plot was foiled. Just that no one was ripped from the jaws of death like this is being portrayed. Why don't you get over it?

I guess British intelligence operatives haven't read enough espionage novels. If they had, they'd know that stopping the terrorists in mid-air--just as they were mixing in the last ingredient--would have been much more exciting. Maybe next time.

I know this is a serious subject, but that's just funny.

Return to Top
#596246 - 08/11/06 05:23 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

One scary thing about this. Some of these folks caught are recent converts to Islam. I always thought the terrorists wouldn't be able to get recent converts to commit suicide, and if they did have some that were willing, the terrorists would not trust them enough to involve them. That's just down right scary.

Return to Top
#596247 - 08/11/06 05:26 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

One scary thing about this. Some of these folks caught are recent converts to Islam. I always thought the terrorists wouldn't be able to get recent converts to commit suicide, and if they did have some that were willing, the terrorists would not trust them enough to involve them. That's just down right scary.

My thoughts on the recent-convert-turned-terrorist is that these are the individuals, for the most part, that have not had much faith or success in other areas of life, definitely have some sort of mental disorder, and finally find their "calling" in life and they just jump in and are willing to sacrifice themselves for their calling.

Return to Top
#596248 - 08/11/06 05:31 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Sort of a cult/brainwashing mentality?

Return to Top
#596249 - 08/11/06 05:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

My thoughts on the recent-convert-turned-terrorist is that these are the individuals, for the most part, that have not had much faith or success in other areas of life, definitely have some sort of mental disorder, and finally find their "calling" in life and they just jump in and are willing to sacrifice themselves for their calling.

Yes, but how did the terrorists get past the trust issue with these new converts? I thought the inner circle was usually tight.

Return to Top
#596250 - 08/11/06 05:33 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Honestly, as far as radicals in nearly any religion, I think it's as much of a cult mentality by other radicals as it is a mental issue on the part of the new member.

Seriously, think about it, you're willing to give your life and kill potentially thousands of people for some people or belief you just learned less than a year ago.....cuckoo....

Return to Top
#596251 - 08/11/06 05:34 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Maybe nutjobs (a favorite bol term) can read and trust their own kind.....

Return to Top
#596252 - 08/11/06 05:53 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Brits got spooked because they could not figure out if the “dry run” that was scheduled for today was actually a dry run or the real thing. So they moved in and arrested the mob. By the way, the August 22nd deadline that the Iranian president gave to discuss his nuclear plan with the UN was the date this attack was going to be carried out. It would have blown (pardon the pun) that subject off the agenda for several months, if not years which would have given Iran more time to get its nukes. And, initial indication shows that those nabbed are all Shia Muslim, the same sect as Hezbollah and the Iranians.

One of the key reasons given for the arrest is the human intelligence factor that the Brits have. They had a man inside this network, which has been in planning for five years. While we were dismantling our covert operations in the ninety’s (under Clinton because of ALCU an ilk), the Brits were ratcheting it up. So now while we have no clue when things hit us the Brits actually get things done. The reason we have not been able to foil any plans that are under way here in the US is not that our intelligence is good. We have been plain lucky. We no longer have spies infiltrating these networks becuase of policial correctness. We will only realize this when a dirty bomb goes off in NY or LA.

Now let’s go back to watching reality TV because it does not affect “me” personally.

Alien

Return to Top
#596253 - 08/11/06 05:55 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Honestly, as far as radicals in nearly any religion, I think it's as much of a cult mentality by other radicals as it is a mental issue on the part of the new member.

I cannot think of another radical religious group that is interested in maximizing carnage of innocent people.

Return to Top
#596254 - 08/11/06 05:56 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

They had a man inside this network, which has been in planning for five years

Pardon me if I sound disingenuous, but 5 years? I find that extremely hard to believe. Do you have real evidence to back this up? Or is that the headline on the Star in the checkout line today?

Return to Top
#596255 - 08/11/06 06:07 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Pardon me if I sound disingenuous, but 5 years? I find that extremely hard to believe. Do you have real evidence to back this up? Or is that the headline on the Star in the checkout line today?

Pardon me if I sound racist, but many folks, particularly Caucasians, are too naive or too cultured to fathom what the enemy can do. You have no clue what you are up against. WTC was first bombed in 1993 and then the plan for the next stage took 8 years to bring to fruition. We are not dealing with a microwave generation. You'll soon be disingenuously dead or praying to Mecca in this lifetime.

Return to Top
#596256 - 08/11/06 06:15 PM Re: UK - US Terror Threat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

One of the key reasons given for the arrest is the human intelligence factor that the Brits have. They had a man inside this network, which has been in planning for five years.

No, from today's story in the Washington Post: "In the aftermath of the July 7, 2005 , suicide bombings on London's transit system, British authorities received a call from a worried member of the Muslim community , reporting general suspicions about an acquaintance.

From that vague but vital piece of information, according to a senior European intelligence official, British authorities opened the investigation into what they said turned out to be a well-coordinated and long-planned plot to bomb multiple transatlantic flights heading toward the United States -- an assault designed to rival the scope and lethality of the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackings."

Muslim phone call

Quote:

While we were dismantling our covert operations in the ninety’s (under Clinton because of ALCU an ilk[sic]

Actually, according to the 9/11 Commission report the "FBI’s counterterrorism budget tripled during the mid-1990s".

Return to Top
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10