Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#597029 - 08/11/06 02:29 PM Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
We started using Netflix about 6 weeks ago and found it has a lot of advantages over going to the bricks & mortar video stores. We soon learned that it was essential to clean the DVD's before we put them in the player as about half of them were dirty and would otherwise freeze at some point.

However, in that short period of time we've had 3 DVDs that were not usable at all. One was cracked, possibly in the mail. Two more simply would not play. Not being able to finish a movie when you've just watched 2/3 of it is annoying. If I'm having a run of unusually bad luck, I'll tough it out. However, if others have the same experience, I'll can them now.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#597030 - 08/11/06 02:32 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Yep. We have returned 3 movies in the last 2 months because they simply got to a point where they wouldn't play. VERY frustrating to be watching a Miss Marple mystery and have the movie stop. And we also clean every DVD before playing and clean the machine often.

But I do have to say that we are keeping the service and putting up with the inconveniences to keep the benefits.
Last edited by deppfan; 08/11/06 03:05 PM.

Return to Top
#597031 - 08/11/06 02:36 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I have been using Netflix for about two years and I've not had much of a problem. I think I've returned a handful over that time for being damaged. I also don't clean them before I play them. I watch 3 a week so I have a good volume of DVDs coming in and out and haven't had trouble. I went through a period where they were getting lost in the mail, but that seems to have cleared up. Good luck.

Return to Top
#597032 - 08/11/06 02:45 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Paul Franklin Offline
100 Club
Bothell, Washington
We have had a few broken/damaged ones, but Netflix has always been very good about sending out a replacement very quickly. Even with those hassles, it is way better than burning close to an hour driving to the video store to get movies.
Plus they have a lot of harder to get stuff, like Chef, and Thin Blue Line.

Return to Top
#597033 - 08/11/06 02:52 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had 1-2 broken ones too, but usually don't have a problem

-=ThePaul=-

Return to Top
#597034 - 08/11/06 03:18 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
I've just recently considered doing Netflix. Now I'm not so sure. I don't wanna have to deal with damaged CD's. Also, isn't it a pain mailing vids back and forth? Maybe I just don't know how the process really works.

Return to Top
#597035 - 08/11/06 03:20 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the envelopes they send the cd's in are already ready to send back so all you have to do is just stick it back in your mailbox when you wanna send it back

-=ThePaul=-

Return to Top
#597036 - 08/11/06 03:24 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I had enough problems with Netflix to cancel my account. We had the service for about a year and a half, and we did have several damaged movies. My biggest problem with Netflix is that they didn't keep to their next business day promise. My husband and I are avid movie watchers, and we'd sometimes have to wait a week for our next batch of movies to get to us. When I called to cancel the service, they tried to talk me into more movies at once, but if I have to wait a week for 3, why would I wait a week for more?

Return to Top
#597037 - 08/11/06 03:34 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Friends of ours have the service. If you request what they consider to be too many, they will slow cycle your service.

Return to Top
#597038 - 08/11/06 03:38 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Friends of ours have the service. If you request what they consider to be too many, they will slow cycle your service.

Really? I guess three a week is reasonable, because I get mine quickly.

Return to Top
#597039 - 08/11/06 04:43 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Heard the same thing about slowing down the cycle when you order several at a time. We only take one at a time, so turnaround is pretty good. The only one we had trouble with was Mystic River. It skipped several times in one section. After about 15 minutes, the rest of the movie played fine.

Return to Top
#597040 - 08/11/06 06:42 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD'
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
We've used NetFlix for about a year and a half. One DVD was broken in half. I'm certain it was done by the mailman who was trying to cram too much into our mailbox. We have had no other problems and haven't had to clean any.

I know they use local distribution centers. Ours come from, and go back to, a site here in Oklahoma City. Perhaps different offices have different quality control procedures. Might be worth a message to NetFlix . . .

Return to Top
#597041 - 08/11/06 06:43 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
We had heard about them slowing down the movies if you watch enough for them to lose money. There is a class action suit about that going on right now. They actually changed their contract/verbiage after enough people complained about it, now they can take all the time they want to. We were watching 6 movies a week when we first started (no kids and BIG movie fans) but we got fed up waiting for movies that were being shipped from New York a week later.

Return to Top
#597042 - 08/11/06 06:46 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD'
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you find is the best cleaning method for a DVD that is skipping?

One hint--if a DVD is skipping in one DVD player, try another. What causes skipping in one player will not always cause skipping in another player.

Return to Top
#597043 - 08/11/06 06:54 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Must have some to do with the warehouse that you deal with - mine is out of Austin and over the 2 years that I've dealt with them, I've had one (1) problem - the wrong video sent to me. I've been very happy with them. It beats the heck out of arguing with the pimply, 18 yo Blockbuster manager about whether or not I returned a movie. (Can you tell I'm still horked about that 2 years later? )

Return to Top
#597044 - 08/11/06 07:04 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
So what do you do with the broken DVDs? Does Netflix require you to pay for it? Or do you call them and tell them about it so you don't get charged? Or do you just send it back and hope no one notices?

Return to Top
#597045 - 08/11/06 07:22 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD'
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

What do you find is the best cleaning method for a DVD that is skipping?

One hint--if a DVD is skipping in one DVD player, try another. What causes skipping in one player will not always cause skipping in another player.

We got a little constraption a few years back called a 'Disk Doctor' that works pretty well.
You put the disk in and some cleaning solution and spin it with a little handle. There's only been one disk it didn't fix for us (and since the disk had just gone through a game of frisbee, I wasn't really surprised... )

Return to Top
#597046 - 08/11/06 07:25 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I had one that was damaged and just put a note on it when I returned it. I also went to the site and noted that it ws damaged (they have a way for you to easily do that). They sent me another of the same one and there was no charge for anything. I've had Netflix for about 8 months, and love it. The only question I have is the $5.99 advertised charge that keeps popping up in their ads. I only get 1 movie a week and pay $10.59. Who pays $5.99 - is that if you get more? It sure beats paying more than the monthly fee to go to the theater - prices there are outrageous. And I can wait until a movie is out on DVD...

Return to Top
#597047 - 08/11/06 07:41 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
BBoyd, they sometimes have a special offer at the lower price, but it ends up only for a month or so, then you are charged the normal price. I do not have a DVD player in Wisconsin, but we do in Florida, so, when we head south, we start Netflix, when we come home we cancel. The next year, we re-register. We are charged whatever special offer they have at each registration.

Return to Top
#597048 - 08/11/06 08:36 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
In 2 years with Netflix, I've had 2-3 scratched DVDs and 2 broken ones. Not bad considering the amount we have rented.

Return to Top
#597049 - 08/12/06 09:01 AM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The service is very convenient and we have had no shipping delays at all, it's just the frustration of not being able to finish a movie that the entire family sat down to watch. Ours are shipped from Louisville...perhaps the quality control problem is local.

Return to Top
#597050 - 08/14/06 06:50 AM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
stoked Offline
100 Club
stoked
inside
I've subscribed to Netflix for a year now with no complaints. I've had a couple of damaged movies, but its not a big deal and they are really good at replacing them quickly. I watch up to 8 movies a week and have not had problems with them slowing my service. I highly recommend it.

Return to Top
#597051 - 08/14/06 02:11 PM Re: Netflix Users - Are you receiving damaged DVD's?
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
We've had them for a couple of years and have had a few damaged cd's. We do not clean them at all. Ours come out of Worcester MA. We don't watch to much tv and use the netflix to get some of the tv shows. It's so much better that way because you see a season in a short amount of time.

Return to Top