Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#603889 - 08/23/06 06:18 PM Prohibited from geocoding????
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
In an ongoing examination, an examiner has preliminarily cited a loan for being geocoded, when it was not necessary (not a HMDA loan). He states that we are prohibited from geocoding unless we're required to do it. Any thoughts on this before we ask for a specific cite? I haven't heard of this being prohibited by any regulation. We've of course already got the address (it's a RE loan). What's the big deal that someone geocoded it when they didn't need to?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#603890 - 08/23/06 06:26 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Never heard of it. Maybe they meant you collected monitoring information when you weren't supposed to...

Return to Top
#603891 - 08/23/06 06:30 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The first thought that comes to mind if you are geocoding loans when not required to do so, or you are not using it for a defined self analysis or for CRA purposes (if applicable), are you redlining?

Off the top of my head I know of no regulatory prohibition from doing geocoding, but I've been geocoding since 1991 because of HMDA, so, I've never had any reason to look for such a regulatory cite.

Return to Top
#603892 - 08/23/06 06:35 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
The GMI and the geocode issues were written up as separate issues. This was not a HMDA loan, but the officer apparently thought it was. He collected GMI and geocoded it. Our HMDA clerk knew that it was not a HMDA loan and excluded it from the LAR. I agree with the examiner that this was not a HMDA loan, and we should not have collected GMI for Reg B or C. However, I don't see the big deal on the geocoding; yes we did it when we didn't need to...but so what? It obviously wasn't for the purpose of redlining; it was because of a confused loan officer.

Return to Top
#603893 - 08/23/06 06:50 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I would like to see the cite on that. We geocode ALL our loans, even those that don't have to be reported for CRA or HMDA.

Return to Top
#603894 - 08/23/06 07:01 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I'm with KC, we geocode ALL of our loans.

I have never read anything that said we couldn't, shouldn't geocode or that if we did geocode that we had to use it for self analysis like some of the other data.

Return to Top
#603895 - 08/23/06 07:02 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

It obviously wasn't for the purpose of redlining; it was because of a confused loan officer.

Then that is what you have to convince the examiner what happened. But to an outsider it is not obvious that you weren't using the information for redlining.

Return to Top
#603896 - 08/23/06 07:08 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I would like to see the cite on that. We geocode ALL our loans, even those that don't have to be reported for CRA or HMDA.

We are a small bank for CRA purposes and we geocode all our loans to, but we use our loans as part of our CRA evaluation.

And I'm not saying he can't do it, all I'm saying is what an outsider may speculate. I would ask the same question, if the loan is not subject to geocoding requirement, then what is your reasoning for geocoding the property? What are you using that information for?

Return to Top
#603897 - 08/23/06 07:12 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
poppy Offline
100 Club
jap - I've never heard of such a thing! Make the examiner provide you with their cite and get that finding removed before you have your final exit meeting.

Return to Top
#603898 - 08/23/06 07:17 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Perhaps he is confusing collection of GMI with geocoding. Geocoding can be used for things besides banking!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#603899 - 08/24/06 03:34 PM Re: Prohibited from geocoding????
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
I geocode thousands of loan and deposit customer records, that have nothing to do with CRA or HMDA, for marketing analysis purposes for banks all over the US. I'm with the other posters, please ask for a cite that prohibits this. It would be of great interest to me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z