BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#604478 - 08/24/06 05:59 PM Re: FDA Approval
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If she already is pregnant, the pills have no effect.

From the FDA: "If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation)."

From Webster's: preg·nant
containing a developing embryo, fetus, or unborn offspring within the body

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#604479 - 08/24/06 05:59 PM Re: FDA Approval
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Here we go again...

The only problem I have with this pill is the non-consideration of STD transmittal.

If I were married and already had my quota of children; I would certainly consider using it. Oh, never mind, I'll just go on welfare...

Return to Top
#604480 - 08/24/06 05:59 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

This should get very interesting.

I agree, SP.

Shhh

Return to Top
#604481 - 08/24/06 06:01 PM Re: FDA Approval
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I thought this had no effect on a fertilized embryo.

You have been misinformed.

Return to Top
#604482 - 08/24/06 06:01 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Then it appears as if the medical writers for AP have been misinformed.

I think I'll bold everything from now on...

Return to Top
#604483 - 08/24/06 06:02 PM Re: FDA Approval
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
To all those taking these black and white stands on abortion... I don't know if any of you have teenage daughters, but imagine this scenario...

Your 15 year old daughter comes home and tells you she's pregnant -- happened at a party and she doesn't even know who the guy is. She's your youngest and your plans were that she attend college while you and your wife retire to your beach house. So now you say, "don't worry honey, have the baby and your mother and I will put our lives on permanent hold so we can raise your's and whatshisname's baby while you finish school and figure out your life. Because after all abortion would be taking a life and it is ALWAYS the wrong thing to do.

Easy to say -- not so easy to do.

Return to Top
#604484 - 08/24/06 06:03 PM Re: FDA Approval
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I'm sure that nobody who works for the AP has an agenda.

Return to Top
#604485 - 08/24/06 06:06 PM Re: FDA Approval
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

To all those taking these black and white stands on abortion... I don't know if any of you have teenage daughters, but imagine this scenario...

Your 15 year old daughter comes home and tells you she's pregnant -- happened at a party and she doesn't even know who the guy is. She's your youngest and your plans were that she attend college while you and your wife retire to your beach house. So now you say, "don't worry honey, have the baby and your mother and I will put our lives on permanent hold so we can raise your's and whatshisname's baby while you finish school and figure out your life. Because after all abortion would be taking a life and it is ALWAYS the wrong thing to do.

TICG, it is more like swapping a life for a life, isn't it?... either way.

Return to Top
#604486 - 08/24/06 06:07 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

[quoteFrom the FDA: "If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation)."

Please point me to such - this is all I find from the FDAs website:

From the press release:
"Plan B is often referred to as emergency contraception or the "morning after pill." It contains an ingredient used in prescription birth control pills--only in the case of Plan B, each pill contains a higher dose and the product has a different dosing regimen. Like other birth control pills, Plan B has been available to all women as a prescription drug. When used as directed, Plan B effectively and safely prevents pregnancy."

From the Q&A

"4. How does Plan B work?

Plan B works like other oral birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It may prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization)."

Return to Top
#604487 - 08/24/06 06:08 PM Re: FDA Approval
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

I think I'll bold everything from now on...

I think it has to do with what is considered "pregnant". -5- provided Webster's definition above. But some will say that pregnancy doesn't occur until the embryo is implanted in the wall of the womb, in which case their contention that the pill will have no effect if you are already pregnant would be accurate from that viewpoint.

The facts do seem to indicate that the pill can prevent a fertilized egg (embryo) from attaching to the wall of the womb. Whether you see that as having an effect on pregnancy will depend on how you define "pregnant".

Return to Top
#604488 - 08/24/06 06:11 PM Re: FDA Approval
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
To all those taking these black and white stands on genocide... I don't know if any of you have Jewish friends, but imagine this scenario...

Your 15 year old Jewish neighbor's daughter runs to your house and tells you she's being chased by the SS -- her family had been forced into the ghetto, but she escaped. She's your neighbor's youngest. Your plans were to soon retire to your beach house. So now you say, "don't worry honey, you can hide here in our attic and we will put our lives in jeopardy to protect your life. Because, after all, sending you to Auschwitz would be taking a life and it is ALWAYS the wrong thing to do.

Return to Top
#604489 - 08/24/06 06:10 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Or how about......Your 16 year old daughter wakes up after a party where the only thing she was drinking was soda. She's in bed, her clothes are disheveled, she has a headache and vaguely remembers feeling really weird the night before, and there's evidence of having had sex, but she has no memory of it. Her soda was drugged by one of the nice upstanding young punks who then raped her along with his friends. I would want it available for her.

Return to Top
#604490 - 08/24/06 06:11 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

[quoteFrom the FDA: "If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation)."

Please point me to such - this is all I find from the FDAs website:

From the press release:
"Plan B is often referred to as emergency contraception or the "morning after pill." It contains an ingredient used in prescription birth control pills--only in the case of Plan B, each pill contains a higher dose and the product has a different dosing regimen. Like other birth control pills, Plan B has been available to all women as a prescription drug. When used as directed, Plan B effectively and safely prevents pregnancy."

From the Q&A

Plan B works like other oral birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It may prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization)."

didn't you know, the FDA's sole agenda is to turn us into a Godless society.

Return to Top
#604491 - 08/24/06 06:13 PM Re: FDA Approval
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

No, but I think it would be easier to say to her, "Your mother and I will support you and help you through this pregnancy. Then for the best interest of you, the baby, and our entire family, we should provide that baby for adoption into a loving, committed, two-parent (mother and father, not mother and mother or father and father) household. Abortion should not be an option for you because abortion is the wrong thing in the eyes of God."

And for what it's worth, I have two daughters, 17 and 23.

Return to Top
#604492 - 08/24/06 06:14 PM Re: FDA Approval
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Been there, with a few differences. The daughter was a freshman in college, the boyfriend said "Get rid of it, or get the [censored] out of my life." She did not want an abortion, so I held her and cried with her as we came home from the hospital, while the beautiful child she gave birth to went home to adoptive parents. It wasn't easy to do either, but now a couple who was unable to conceive has a child of their own. I would be sad to think that either of my daughters would take the morning after pill. But that's just my opinion.

Return to Top
#604493 - 08/24/06 06:17 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

did the FDA announce use of this was mandatory for citizens?

Return to Top
#604494 - 08/24/06 06:17 PM Re: FDA Approval
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

No, but I think it would be easier to say to her, "Your mother and I will support you and help you through this pregnancy. Then for the best interest of you, the baby, and our entire family, we should provide that baby for adoption into a loving, committed, two-parent (mother and father, not mother and mother or father and father) household. Abortion should not be an option for you because abortion is the wrong thing in the eyes of God."

That's fine for your daughters, but if I had daughters I certainly wouldn't want them getting that message.

Return to Top
#604495 - 08/24/06 06:18 PM Re: FDA Approval
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

No. What's your point?

Return to Top
#604496 - 08/24/06 06:19 PM Re: FDA Approval
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

From the FDA: "If fertilization does occur, Plan B may prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the womb (implantation)."

Please point me to such

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/planB/planBQandA.htm

Return to Top
#604497 - 08/24/06 06:21 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

No. What's your point?

oh, i was beginning to think that people had to use this.

Return to Top
#604498 - 08/24/06 06:23 PM Re: FDA Approval
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No. What's your point?

What made you think that?

Return to Top
#604499 - 08/24/06 06:24 PM Re: FDA Approval
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure that nobody who works for the AP has an agenda.

Well it is possible the agendas are at work. Could you point me to where this is discussed. I have been unable to find it. Here is what I have found.

Here is a copy of a question from FDA's Q&A

Plan B works like other oral birth control pills to prevent pregnancy. Plan B acts primarily by stopping the release of an egg from the ovary (ovulation). It may prevent the union of sperm and egg (fertilization). "

From the drug company's Q & A

"Plan B® should not be used if you are already pregnant (because it will not work), "

From drug warnings issued to doctors, it states

"Plan B is not effective in terminating existing pregancies." See link, p. 6 http://www.go2planb.com/PDF/PlanBPI.pdf

Return to Top
#604500 - 08/24/06 06:25 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's fine for your daughters, but if I had daughters I certainly wouldn't want them getting that message.

We raised out son with the message that abortion is wrong. It should not be a form of birth control. We just don't agree with it. Our opinion, nothing more, nothing less. However, I would not outlaw abortion. This pill I think is a good thing. If my daughter got pregnant, I would support her in any and every way I could. But if she was date raped, I would want this available to her.

Return to Top
#604501 - 08/24/06 06:27 PM Re: FDA Approval
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No. What's your point?

What made you think that?

with all due respect, don't be naive, jim.

Return to Top
#604502 - 08/24/06 06:27 PM Re: FDA Approval
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Please point me to such

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/planB/planBQandA.htm

The Q & A on this FDA link doesn't say that.

http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/planB/planBQandA20060824.htm

What gives?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6