Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#604819 - 08/24/06 09:27 PM I am terribly overwhelmed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Help!! I work for a new bank (nearly two years old) with one branch and five lending production officer. I am the BSA/OFAC Officer, Compliance Officer, Privacy Officer, Security Officer, and Training Officer. I feel like I am responsible for everything. I am also the "branch manager". I have VERY limited staff. I am also the Corporate Secretary so I attend all board meetings I feel like I am in over my head. I attend as many outside trainings as I can, but I don't send my staff, as I can't our staffing needs don't really permit it. My question for you is "Is there anyone else out there with this level of responsibility? If so, how do you handle it?"

Return to Top
#604820 - 08/24/06 09:32 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Liquor

Return to Top
#604821 - 08/24/06 09:42 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Anonymous
Unregistered

50 hour work weeks and liquor

Return to Top
#604822 - 08/24/06 09:50 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Anonymous
Unregistered

right, work hard, but play harder

Return to Top
#604823 - 08/24/06 10:08 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
While liquor does sound good right about now, there does come a time when you have to say "enough is enough." This may also mean realizing that you are in over your head, with the amount of work.

Do you have someone you can talk to and help you examine the job duties and prioritize them? This may help in determining to others that you cannot do it all.

Return to Top
#604824 - 08/24/06 10:08 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
You'll probably have to work 11 or 12 hour days. Is there anyone on your staff that can help you monitor (CTRs for example) Try consolidating your reviews as much as possible. For example - do a "closed-end credit" review that covers all possible regulatory issues (even CIP) and includes all closed-end products. Repeat for open-end credit. Combine RTFPA & Privacy. See where I'm going? Also set up your compliance reviews according to a risk- based time schedule. Some will be annually; some will be every 18 months, depending on the level of risk. I feel your pain!

Return to Top
#604825 - 08/24/06 11:26 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Spenser Offline
Washington state
I would hope that the Board realizes that by putting so much on you, the bank risks being out of compliance, or at least getting poor regulatory exams results. According to the FFIEC Examination Manual "The board of directors is responsible for ensuring that the BSA compliance officer has sufficient authority and RESOURCES (monetary, physical, and personnel) to administer an effective BSA/AML compliance program based on the bank's risk profile." It sounds like you're a little short in that area!

Return to Top
#604826 - 08/24/06 11:37 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Quote:

Try consolidating your reviews....

Better yet, redefine quality control reviews as a production or audit function and hand it to someone else. If you don't have enough managers and staff to run the bank properly, you need to hire more people or outsource as much as possible. One serious oversight or "accident" can eat up all the compensation pennies your management's been pinching.

Return to Top
#604827 - 08/25/06 12:19 AM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Usually by the second year, Management starts hiring to take the load off the key people like yourself that helped start the bank.
Perhaps you can sit down with your Senior Management and show them which jobs need full time employees now, and why -such as the risk you are taking, if you should have BSA issues -and pare your responsibilities down.
Don't give them your problems so much as give them solutions.
And good luck !!

Return to Top
#604828 - 08/25/06 11:55 AM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Try to delegate some responsibilities to your staff.

Return to Top
#604829 - 08/25/06 02:36 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
This was posted in the BSA forum also, wasn't it???

Return to Top
#604830 - 08/28/06 06:24 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I have compliance delegation charts that I'll be happy to share. They were designed to assist our smaller banks in managing the routine compliance tasks--and remove the excuses for not knowing who is doing what. PM me.

Return to Top
#604831 - 10/05/06 07:20 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
Night Train Offline
Diamond Poster
Night Train
Down South
I would like to see your compliance delegation charts, if I may? I am new to a well established bank whose compliance officer left several years ago and no one replaced her...yuck!...we are starting all over from scratch...

Return to Top
#604832 - 10/05/06 07:29 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
By Train...
You may want to try PMing for the charts...the previous poster may not come back to this thread.

Return to Top
#646207 - 12/03/06 04:34 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed *DELETED* MadisonCali
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by MagicCity

Return to Top
#647486 - 12/05/06 09:21 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed *DELETED* Anonymous
Otis Offline
New Poster
Otis
MN
I agree with Devil Queen--delegate some of the work to your other selves! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Last edited by Otis; 12/05/06 09:39 PM.
Return to Top
#649209 - 12/08/06 02:55 PM Re: I am terribly overwhelmed *DELETED* Otis
Anonymous
Unregistered

Comedy helps. And when the going gets tough, smile. Drives the opposition crazy....

Return to Top

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale