Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#605112 - 08/25/06 02:14 PM Is this judge insane, or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Judge Detains Five Over Ringing Phones

CROWN POINT, Ind. - A judge detained and questioned a row of spectators when a cell phone rang for a third time in her courtroom, later ordering two people to serve community service for contempt of court.

When no one admitted having the ringing phones Wednesday, Lake County Criminal Court Judge Diane Boswell told all five people in the row to sit in chairs reserved for jail inmates. They stayed there for more than an hour until the morning court call ended.

Boswell found three people in contempt of court because they initially refused to say who had the ringing phones.

Read the article...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#605113 - 08/25/06 02:17 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Well, doesn't the entry usually say mute all cell phones?

Return to Top
#605114 - 08/25/06 02:19 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Seems about right to me. At our court houses, it doesn't say mute all phones,it says turn them off.

Return to Top
#605115 - 08/25/06 02:29 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
At the court house my husband works at you cannot bring a cell phone into the court unless you work there. That includes lawyers not bringing in a phone

Return to Top
#605116 - 08/25/06 02:37 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Common sense should tell anyone to turn off their phone(s) when entering into a sanctuary, whether it be a lawful one, a religious one, or anyplace where respect should be automatically considered. Just my opinion.

Would you leave your cell phone on during a funeral?

Return to Top
#605117 - 08/25/06 02:38 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Could I get that judge to ride BART with me every day? She could do the same thing with rude cell phone users on the train. Some people have no cooth.

Return to Top
#605118 - 08/25/06 03:33 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
About damN time someone stood up to cell phone abusers. I am so sick and tired of hearing phones ring at inappropriate moments. I hope the judge made them sit there overnight. Plus, it's not like it just happened once...it was the third offense! Three strikes, and you're OUT!!

Return to Top
#605119 - 08/25/06 03:37 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Sorry, I do not think this judge is insane, I think many of the people with cell phones are. Driving and talking on the phone, ringing in church, restaurants, etc. I especially hate it when I am waiting at the doctor's office or some other quiet waiting room, and one of the folks in the room is having a loud chit-chat conversation on their cell. I don't want to hear your gossip, I am trying to read a magazine or listen for my name to be called. Take it outside, or in your car.

Return to Top
#605120 - 08/25/06 03:37 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Even worse are people who leave their cell phones on at movies, and get them out, show light all in your eyes from in front of you to check to see who's calling.

Return to Top
#605121 - 08/25/06 03:40 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Way to go Judge! This is how you teach common sense!

Return to Top
#605122 - 08/25/06 03:40 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
and its those 2 seconds of flashing light in your eyes that you miss an important part of the movie that screws the whole thing up.

Return to Top
#605123 - 08/25/06 03:46 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
People are rude, but many cell phone users are rude to the extreme. The phone call coming in is more important than the conversation you are having.

Also, frequently checking your messages for who might have called seems kind of needy to me.

Return to Top
#605124 - 08/25/06 03:48 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

About damN time someone stood up to cell phone abusers. I am so sick and tired of hearing phones ring at inappropriate moments.

This thread is hitting on one of my main pet peeves. Are people so NEEDY!!! that they must chatter on cell phones incessantly???? It makes me close to road rage to be behind a driver who is just sitting there enjoying the day, phone glued to ear, fifteen seconds after the light changes and ten seconds after I've started honking!!! I'm behind the judge on this one!

Return to Top
#605125 - 08/25/06 04:50 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
It must give them a sense of self importance.

Return to Top
#605126 - 08/25/06 05:33 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

It must give them a sense of self importance.

i think that would be the bluetooth crowd.

Return to Top
#605127 - 08/25/06 05:39 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I spend a good portion of my day on the phone. I don't want to spend all my off time with a cell phone stapled to my head. I have one that I don't even turn on most days. I carry it for emergemcies on the road (or ordering Chinese food on my way home ). I think pepole who have to be talking to someone constantly have self-esteem issues. I also hate it when people don't have home phones. I don't want to call you if you are grocery shopping or in the car, etc.

Return to Top
#605128 - 08/25/06 05:58 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
A lot of people, me for one, usually dont want home phones if everyone in the household has a cell phone. I know its an added expense that I can live without. But I dont have my cell phone stuck in my ear all the time either.

Return to Top
#605129 - 08/25/06 05:59 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I spend a good portion of my day on the phone. I don't want to spend all my off time with a cell phone stapled to my head. I have one that I don't even turn on most days. I carry it for emergemcies on the road (or ordering Chinese food on my way home ). I think pepole who have to be talking to someone constantly have self-esteem issues. I also hate it when people don't have home phones. I don't want to call you if you are grocery shopping or in the car, etc.

Hate for those who don't have home phones is a bit excessive. For some people, single folks who aren't home a lot, it is a lot smarter to have a cell phone (and use it responsibly) so that you end up with a cheaper deal than having a cell phone for emergencies and a home phone. For a long time I had no home phone because I was working almost 60 hours a week, and if I wasn't at work, I was out with friends, and if I was at home, I was sleeping. Why on earth would I want to spend $30+ a month to keep my answering machine company when I can ignore my phone in my pocket if I don't want to answer it?

Return to Top
#605130 - 08/25/06 06:16 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
sorry gang, while many cell phone users are ignorant of others, this is abuse of power from the judicial side. Unless there is a law that states that cell phones must be off, it is a request, and should not be enforcable.

Return to Top
#605131 - 08/25/06 06:14 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Yep...the cell phones should be turned off in certain circumstances. People can't be THAT important that they must have the thing on 24/7.

I, for one, am not a big "phone talker". Don't really like just sitting and talking on the phone (well...except for those 1-900 calls...but that's a different story).

Return to Top
#605132 - 08/25/06 06:28 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Quote:

sorry gang, while many cell phone users are ignorant of others, this is abuse of power from the judicial side. Unless there is a law that states that cell phones must be off, it is a request, and should not be enforcable.

Give it a litte more time and it will be.

Return to Top
#605133 - 08/25/06 06:34 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Should be as enforceable as any other demonstration of lack of respect (contempt) in a court of law...

Return to Top
#605134 - 08/25/06 06:35 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Quote:

i think that would be the bluetooth crowd.

Bluetooth? Never heard that expression. My Mom would call snobby people bluenoses, but never heard bluetooth before.

What I don't like about cell phones is, when someone calls my home on one, it sounds like they are on a walkie talkie. Constant missed words, fading in and out, or dropped altogether. When my sister in law calls MOML, she has to call back two to three times to finish her conversation, due to dropped calls.

Why would I pay for that, when conventional phones work better?
Last edited by Nanwa; 08/25/06 06:36 PM.

Return to Top
#605135 - 08/25/06 06:54 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Should be as enforceable as any other demonstration of lack of respect (contempt) in a court of law...

EXACTLY!

Return to Top
#605136 - 08/25/06 07:22 PM Re: Is this judge insane, or not?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Yep...the cell phones should be turned off in certain circumstances. People can't be THAT important that they must have the thing on 24/7.

I, for one, am not a big "phone talker". Don't really like just sitting and talking on the phone (well...except for those 1-900 calls...but that's a different story).

Bwhahaaaaaaaaaaa.....you're awesome, lolol.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3