BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#605388 - 08/25/06 05:49 PM Mayor Nagin at it again
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Anyone else see/hear about the Mayors comments (from FOXNews, but I also saw the clip this morning):

"During the "60 minutes" interview, a correspondent pointed out flood-damaged cars still on the streets of New Orleans' devastated Ninth Ward. Nagin replied, "You guys in New York can't get a hole in the ground fixed, and it's five years later. So let's be fair," according to CBS."

Prior to the above comment, the Mayor had been talkiggn about how all city property had been cleaned/cleared of debris. The reporter had pointed out the cars in the street, as well as some other debris scattered around the streets.

Curious to get some thoughts on his comments.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#605389 - 08/25/06 06:03 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
I saw the clip this morning on the local CBS station. My impression was Mayor Nagin was only sticking-up for his city's progress in cleaning-up after Katrina. I don't think he meant it as a slam against New York.

Return to Top
#605390 - 08/25/06 06:02 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
I thought Nagin's reply was great. He may be an incompetent mayor, but he doesn't have a problem calling people out.

I agree -- it should never have taken 5 years to start rebuilding the WTC site. Big city red tape is all it is. Good article on the rebuilding effort in Esquire btw.

Return to Top
#605391 - 08/25/06 06:11 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
The ability for any city to quickly rebound from any type of devastation is nil. Nagin has been doing a decent job while hamstrung by a city counclil that is divided along racial lines, an ineffective governor who wants to micro-manage, a federal agency that is poorly run (FEMA), and a host of other issues relative to how NO has incented the poor to remain poor and rely on the gov't for everything.

While his point may have been in poor taste, I applaud him for his effort. And just last night on the local news they were talking about all of the politicians who will be in town on Tuesday for the 1 year anniversary. I'd rather they take that money they will spend to get here and put it towards the rebuilding.

Return to Top
#605392 - 08/25/06 06:56 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
How is Nagin still alive in New Orleans yet alone the mayor still?

Return to Top
#605393 - 08/25/06 07:00 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I think Nagin suffers from speak first think later syndrome.

Return to Top
#605394 - 08/25/06 08:26 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
It seems to me that New Orleans gets all the attention, while Biloxi quietly goes about cleaning up. According to estimates by city leaders there, 75% of the debris was cleared away within six months after Katrina. To piggyback on Happy's post above, I think Biloxi benefits from better government performance on the city and state level (same problem at the federal level, of course).

Return to Top
#605395 - 08/25/06 08:27 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

I think Nagin suffers from speak first think later syndrome.

I can identify with that.

Return to Top
#605396 - 08/25/06 08:31 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Are you advocating his death? As far as how is he the mayor, he won an election. Voting was along racial lines...as are 99% of all political races in Louisiana

Return to Top
#605397 - 08/25/06 09:20 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
Cmone Offline
Deep South
FOXNews?

Return to Top
#605398 - 08/26/06 05:07 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Are you advocating his death? As far as how is he the mayor, he won an election. Voting was along racial lines...as are 99% of all political races in Louisiana

No, I am just shocked that the people of New Orleans haven't strung him up for his failures yet. It seems every time I hear his name he is making a fool of himself and looking exceptionally corrupt.

Return to Top
#605399 - 08/28/06 12:43 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Michael, that is because you are only seeing the soundbites that make for good controversy. If you see the entire text of his interview, you would realize the context in which it was given, and that it was not a slight against anyone. But that wouldn't make good media, would it? What we have in NO is a mayor who speaks his mind and is not scared about being PC and offending anyone. More politicians should be like this.

I'm not sure what failures you reference? Failure related to inheriting a city that was nearly bankrupt? Where politicians have been in power for 20+ years and are so entrenched that they only lose when they die? For getting a city that was surrounded by sub-standard levees that have been in existence for over 40 years? For inheriting a city with a corrupt police department?

There is hope for the city. In the last election, 3 city council members (long term) were voted off and replaced with 3 people who have never held politiical office. Neighborhood community groups are working with the mayor to rebuild and move forward. Term-limits for all public office holders were just approved. We are moving forward, much to the dismay of the national media who seem to only want to watch us fail. I'd love for you to list his "failures" as you see them.

Return to Top
#605400 - 08/28/06 01:23 PM Re: Mayor Nagin at it again
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Happy, that's the answer I wanted to hear. It makes sense to me now that he's in office, and I am VERY glad to hear that it is a case of the media being the media.

I know the same thing happens with Cincinnati. Marge Schott was vilified for being a racist, the city has been vilified for being racist, but the fact is, Marge was a wonderful woman from a different era who never learned to be different from who she was, and even her "million dollar Nword" didn't feel she was a racist when she made the comment. He loved her for who she was. A small protest becomes a full out "riot" in the national media. It's sad. I'm glad Nagin is making a difference and isn't as bad as he seems to be thanks to the national media.

Return to Top