Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#605611 - 08/27/06 05:57 PM Trust Certifications
bankersbenchmark Offline
New Poster
I hope to draw from the vast experience of the other users with this question.

When accepting a "Trust Certification" in lieu of the Trust Document to open a deposit or loan account, is it adviseable for the Bank's Notary Public to notarize the applicant's signatures on the Trust Certification?

While the California Notary handbook does not appear to exclude Notary Publics from acting as agents or employees, it seems to me that as a "Best Practice" the account applicant should provide the Trust Certification fully executed and notarized. In this way there is no appearance real or imagined that the Bank reviewed the Trust document and assisted the applicant with completing the Trust Certification. Keep in mind that the Bank will ultimately depend on having no knowledge of any error in the document's content and has accepted it at face value. Any participation in the Trust Certification process would seem to weaken that protection.

What does the forum think????

Return to Top
Audit
#605612 - 08/27/06 07:17 PM Re: Trust Certifications
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
See response to duplicate post under general discussions.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#605613 - 08/27/06 09:16 PM Re: Trust Certifications
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Please do not post the same question in multiple forums. As the question relates to a form unique to CA, the thread in that forum has not been locked.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z