Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#606730 - 08/29/06 09:26 PM Anniversary Ideas
Kara R. Offline
Racine, WI
My husband and I will be celebrating our first anniversary in a couple weeks. Does anyone have any good gift ideas?

Return to Top
#606731 - 08/29/06 09:31 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
CubDave Offline
Diamond Poster
Get in the car, drive in any direction, no less than 3 hours away, and in an area you have never been in, and then stop wherever you may be that really kind of appeals to you, find a romantic bed & breakfast or luxury hotel, and for that day, night and morning, pretend you are on an overseas vacation, splurge on each other, spend lots of time alone in your room, have a great breakfast, and then drive home. If you want to add something, when you are around other people, pretend you are visiting from out of the country and speak only very little broken English; just enough to get by without having to pretend to speak in a foreign accent.

Return to Top
#606732 - 08/29/06 09:44 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
For our first anniversary we went back to the hotel we spent the wedding night at, on our anniversary day. Dinner and all. We had to work the next day but it was fun spending the night there again!! You might try that, if it's possible.

Return to Top
#606733 - 08/29/06 10:00 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
For our first anniversay we had dinner at the restaurant where my husband proposed to me. Do yourself a favor and don't get too elaborate, you'll fall into the trap of trying to top yourself every year. My husband and I used to do that with birthdays and anniversaries when we were dating and we finally gave up, it just became too much.

Happy Anniversary!

Return to Top
#606734 - 08/29/06 10:06 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You asked for gift ideas, right? I burned a cd for my husband for our 32nd anniversay. I put on songs we both liked and other songs I thought said something about our relationship. Things like "Through the Years" share disc space with "This Kiss" and "My Guy" and end up with Sonny and Cher's "I've Got You, Babe"!

Return to Top
#606735 - 08/29/06 10:27 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
~~~izzo~~~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~~~izzo~~~
NY
I can't remember what we did on our first anniversary, but recently I compiled a bunch of slow songs that held some special meaning to my hubby and myself thru out the years. And, then I asked the hubby if we could slow dance together one night. We hadn't heard our wedding song in years, and when we slow danced to it all these years later, I swear I could close my eyes and we were back on our wedding day. It was amazing how sweet it was. Sometimes, you just gotta stop and do something as simple as a slow dance in your livingroom.

Return to Top
#606736 - 08/30/06 01:55 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
A really cool gift that I just gave my husband was a boudoir photo of myself. It was fully nude, but extremely tasteful. He was surprised and pleased, because he knows how modest I am and how difficult it was for me to have my picture done like that. He absolutely loves it and is taking it to Iraq with him next week.

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but believe me, my hubby was QUITE grateful!

Return to Top
#606737 - 08/30/06 04:20 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
We ate the wedding cake top we froze on our wedding day. MOML said, "Hmmm. Tastes like year old cake!"

Return to Top
#606738 - 08/30/06 04:38 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Lots of great ideas here. I have a suggestion for your subsequent anniversaries, though. Hubby and I alternate "planning" the anniversary each year. For example, we just celebrated our 12th this month, and he did all the planning for it. I simply enjoyed it. Next year, I'll select what we'll do, and he'll not need to think anything of it.

It really is a great system. Before we did this, we fell into the rut of "What do you want to do this year"....."I don't know, what do YOU want to do", etc. Now, we simply know which of us is responsible for planning whatever tickles his/her fancy, and the other has the joy of being "treated" in the surprise. It helps add variety and spontaneity!

Return to Top
#606739 - 08/30/06 05:14 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
That is a great idea Rebehak! I love it, I think I'll propose it to hubby for next year (we already passed this years date).

Return to Top
#606740 - 08/30/06 07:58 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Glo Offline
Gold Star
Arkansas
Wow! This is all making me jealous. My husband and I got married on October 19th which to my surprise turned out to be the first day of muzzle loading season(deer hunting). So, I cannot remember doing anything for our anniversary. The second year is the only year I remember because I gave birth to our daughter 18 days before our 2nd anniversary. I didn't feel like going anywhere that year.LOL The sad part is, this October will have only been 4 years that we have been married. Sad, huh? I think I need to talk to Dr. Phil!

Return to Top
#606741 - 08/30/06 08:15 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My first anniversay for my first marriage was on Super Bowl Sunday. Needless to say ladies, don't get married in late January.

BTW - I just had my third anniversary for my second marriage yesterday. We went to dinner, but did go out of town about 10 days ago for a romantic weekend.

Return to Top
#606742 - 08/30/06 09:15 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Kara R. Offline
Racine, WI
A lot of great ideas! I love the ideas of going away for the night and going to the restaurant where he proposed.

We may just have to stick to enjoying the year-old wedding cake because I will only have 4 1/2 weeks left till our first child arrives! Not really feeling up to traveling.

He also proposed on a cruise in the middle of the Carribean Sea...needless to say, we won't be going back there!

Return to Top
#606743 - 08/31/06 01:23 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
arye Offline
Gold Star
arye
Ohio
That would be good Kara...for our first anniversary, I had my wife get dressed up (long black gown) and get ready over at her mom's (she would be watching our 2 month old) and told her that I would pick her up for our anniversary "date". I picked her up and drove straight back to the house, where I had cooked a steak dinner, had a dozen hot pink roses (wedding color), champaign (sp?), and our wedding cake as dessert. She was totally surprised

Return to Top
#606744 - 08/31/06 02:43 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
If you're going to stay home, you can still make it super special! I'd light a whole bunch of candles, turn off all the lights, and have dinner in bed, have the cake topper for dessert, and take a look at all your wedding photos and photos from your first year together - a great way to remember, laugh, and talk about all your new "first year" memories together.

If you have time and motivation, a great gift would be to make a little scrapbook of favorite photos of your first year - dollar stores are great for fun little mini-albums and paper and all the stickers, supplies, and stuff you can dream of to make a fun little album (and you can even find acid-free and lignin-free / photo safe stuff - for only a buck per item)! I love scrapbooking, and it's fun to share the end result with loved ones; I'm sure hubby would love to see a collection of photos which represent your favorites from year #1.

Most of all, enjoy! Happy anniversary to you both, and good luck on the upcoming baby!

Return to Top
#606745 - 08/31/06 03:12 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Every year, we get a bottle of the "good" champagne, and toast each other with, "Well, waddaya think? Should we try it for another year? Yeah, why not? It seems to be working so far!"

Return to Top
#606746 - 09/01/06 05:40 PM Re: Anniversary Ideas
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Quote:

Every year, we get a bottle of the "good" champagne, and toast each other with, "Well, waddaya think? Should we try it for another year? Yeah, why not? It seems to be working so far!"

How cute!

Our will fall right around the SEC Champion. Unfortunately for my hubby, he's not the one who's so nuts about college football -- I am. After I figured out our wedding (this past December) was going to fall on the SEC Championship day, I almost changed the date.. I didn't, which pained my, but my team didn't make it, so I wasn't about to have a stroke over it on my wedding day. (Although it was still on my mind). If they would have made it, we were going to go to the game as Newlyweds.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett