Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#606902 - 09/05/06 12:39 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
When will the right apologize FOR GWB and Rove???

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#606903 - 09/05/06 12:40 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

A very good question.

Return to Top
#606904 - 09/05/06 12:50 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

If you catch them after a few drinks, they get all weepy, and mumble, "Awwww man, we had no effing idea it would turn out like that...."

Return to Top
#606905 - 09/05/06 01:01 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

If you catch them after a few drinks, they get all weepy, and mumble, "Awwww man, we had no effing idea it would turn out like that...."

I'm sure in the 1920's, a lot of people thought electing Hitler was a good idea too...

Return to Top
#606906 - 09/05/06 01:06 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure in the 1920's, a lot of people thought electing Hitler was a good idea too...

tsk, tsk, tsk ... you are going to get some angry posts for that comment.

Return to Top
#606907 - 09/05/06 01:11 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow. In my opinion, you're insane.

Return to Top
#606908 - 09/05/06 01:14 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It wasn't a direct comparison of GWB to Hitler as individuals. However each was originally elected by the people, each turned out to be horribly different than what the electorate envisioned, and each had a hold over people such that they kept him in office against their own best interests. Each one "stayed the course" even when it became clear the course was disasterous. Each was hard-headed and did not take advice well.

We should thank God however that our democracy is strong enough to endure this. I firmly believe that if Bush/Rove/Cheney thought they had a chance, they would seek to suspend our representative government and establish a dictatorship (after all, don't we need a strong leader to fight the fascist terror threat?? )

Return to Top
#606909 - 09/05/06 01:22 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It wasn't a direct comparison of GWB to Hitler as individuals. However each was originally elected by the people, each turned out to be horribly different than what the electorate envisioned, and each had a hold over people such that they kept him in office against their own best interests. Each one "stayed the course" even when it became clear the course was disasterous. Each was hard-headed and did not take advice well.

We should thank God however that our democracy is strong enough to endure this. I firmly believe that if Bush/Rove/Cheney thought they had a chance, they would seek to suspend our representative government and establish a dictatorship (after all, don't we need a strong leader to fight the fascist terror threat?? )

I've got to say that makes a lot of sense. I still think you are going to get major grief for the comparison.
Last edited by Sweetpeas; 09/05/06 02:27 PM.

Return to Top
#606910 - 09/05/06 02:17 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow. In my opinion, you're insane.

Psst, Mark, don't get in the way. It will be sickly fascinating to see how far the two of them can take this.

Return to Top
#606911 - 09/05/06 02:53 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

"Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?"

NO.

I'm not sure why "the left" would have anything to apologize for. The CIA was the one that requested an investigation into whether there was a crime committed by outing one of their operatives, and the CIA certainly isn't "the left".

The special prosecutor was then appointed by the Attorney General's office in the Bush Administration, and that office is not part of "the left".

Rove admits he confirmed the information provided by Armitage and neither of them are a part of "the left".

Return to Top
#606912 - 09/05/06 03:15 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Hitler was ever elected to an office. If I'm not mistaken, he was appointed vice-chancellor by Hindenburg, who he then forced to step down.

That said, what good liberal doesn't enjoy painting W out as another Hitler? (Just kidding neo-cons, calm down)

Return to Top
#606913 - 09/05/06 03:22 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Hitler was ever elected to an office. If I'm not mistaken, he was appointed vice-chancellor by Hindenburg, who he then forced to step down.

That said, what good liberal doesn't enjoy painting W out as another Hitler? (Just kidding neo-cons, calm down)

I think it's funny that neo-cons get all worked up with comparisons to Nazis, but they freely call anyone to the left of Rush Limbaugh a communist.

Return to Top
#606914 - 09/05/06 03:59 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Psst, Mark, don't get in the way. It will be sickly fascinating to see how far the two of them can take this.

Oops - correction. The three of them.

Return to Top
#606915 - 09/05/06 04:02 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I'm not sure why "the left" would have anything to apologize for. The CIA was the one that requested an investigation into whether there was a crime committed by outing one of their operatives, and the CIA certainly isn't "the left".

The special prosecutor was then appointed by the Attorney General's office in the Bush Administration, and that office is not part of "the left".

Rove admits he confirmed the information provided by Armitage and neither of them are a part of "the left".

The left - including those in the government - created this hill of beans. An example of those who need to apologize are: The NYT, Chris Matthews, truthout.org, and Howard Dean. I'm not holding my breath.

Return to Top
#606916 - 09/05/06 04:39 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Quote:

The left - including those in the government - created this hill of beans. An example of those who need to apologize are: The NYT, Chris Matthews, truthout.org, and Howard Dean. I'm not holding my breath.

You SAY the left "created" this, but you seem to want us to take your word for that without anything to support it.

The CIA requested the probe, do you deny that?

The Bush AG's office appointed the special prosecutor, do you deny that?

Armitage gave out the information and Rove confirmed it, do you deny that?

Do you consider any of those to be part of "the left"? These are the "creators" of the probe, right?

Return to Top
#606917 - 09/05/06 06:49 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I KNOW that the entire issue was non-existent until the flames of "scandal" were flamed by David Corn, editor of the leftist rag The Nation - and, not coincidentally, author of the book making a splash debunking the Rovian plot theory. Novak's article never said Plame was covert, and no one had any reason to think her employment was classified until Corn started trumpeting that "fact", at the urging of her husband, the editorialist/liar.

Non Ron, you can keep trying to pretend this was really a scandal, and that the White House is to blame for it. Nobody buys it anymore, not even the liberal mainstream media that was so instrumental in this molehill's construction.

Return to Top
#606918 - 09/05/06 07:14 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Quote:

Quote:

<snip>

Well, not precisely. Yes, President Hindenburg (reluctantly... oh so reluctantly!) appointed Hitler Chancellor (not Vice Chancellor) in 1933. However, Hitler never forced Hindenburg to step down. The Grim Reaper is the only one who forced Hindenburg down... he died in August of 1934. After his death, Hitler's cabinet, for various and some obvious reasons (they didn't want to lose power!) didn't want to hold another presidential election. Instead, they simply forced through a law that caused the presidency to be declared "dormant". Hitler was then proclaimed Fuhrer (leader) as well as Reichskanzler (chancellor) and there was no "president". This also caused Hitler to become supreme commander of the military by default.

Yes, I'll agree that up until this point, Hitler was not "elected" or explicitly approved/chosen by the people.
However...
(I'm quoting from wikipedia here because I liked their wording and I wanted to get this exactly straight for the facts... the portion in square brackets is mine for clarity):
"In a mid-August plebiscite these acts [declaring the presidency dormant and appointing Hitler as Fuhrer AND Chancellor] found the approval of 90% of the electorate. Combining the highest offices in state, military and party in his hand, Hitler had attained supreme rule that could no longer be legally challenged."

Here's a definition of plebiscite from dictionary.com. Basically, it's an election, and Hitler got 90% of the vote.

–noun 1. a direct vote of the qualified voters of a state in regard to some important public question.
2. the vote by which the people of a political unit determine autonomy or affiliation with another country.
----------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 1525–35; < F < L pl&#275;b&#299;sc&#299;tum decree of the plebs, equiv. to pl&#275;b&#299; (for pl&#275;bis, pl&#275;b&#275;&#299; gen. sing. of pl&#275;bs, pl&#275;b&#275;s plebs) + sc&#299;tum resolution, decree, n. use of neut. of sc&#299;tus, ptp. of sc&#299;scere to enact, decree, orig., to seek to know, learn, inchoative of sc&#299;re to know]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006
Last edited by AnnMarieIllinois; 09/05/06 07:17 PM.

Return to Top
#606919 - 09/05/06 07:18 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Keep in mind anyone can get their message posted on Wilkapedia. I would not use it as source for any stretch of the imagination.

Return to Top
#606920 - 09/05/06 07:21 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I quoted wikipedia because I liked their wording OF THE FACTS, which I already knew from my education and past reading. Check out any history book if you don't believe a plebiscite occurred after Hitler was made Fuhrer. lol

Return to Top
#606921 - 09/05/06 07:23 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am not debating the facts, I am debating the use of Wilkapedia as a "source". I believe you, and admit I do not know my German history like you seem to.

Return to Top
#606922 - 09/05/06 07:22 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Quote:

plebiscite

Does wikipedia recommend a cure?

Return to Top
#606923 - 09/05/06 07:23 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

I am not debating the facts, I am debating the use of Wilkapedia as a "source"...

And yet you managed to do it in such a way as to dismiss AnnMarie's entire post. Such economy of style is admirable.

Return to Top
#606924 - 09/05/06 07:30 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Non Ron anon Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Non Ron, you can keep trying to pretend this was really a scandal, and that the White House is to blame for it.

Actually, anyone can look back at the posts and see what I actualy said - that it was the CIA that requested the investigation and the AG's office that appointed the special prosecutor. Neither of these are "the left" which you said started the probe. You continue to avoid commenting on their role, not surprising, since doing that would destroy your argument.

Quote:

no one had any reason to think her employment was classified until Corn started trumpeting that "fact"

Well, yes, the CIA had reason to think that and that why they asked for the investigation. Do you really think that the CIA didn't know what the status of their own employee was when they asked for the probe?

Return to Top
#606925 - 09/05/06 08:01 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:

Quote:

I am not debating the facts, I am debating the use of Wilkapedia as a "source"...

And yet you managed to do it in such a way as to dismiss AnnMarie's entire post. Such economy of style is admirable.

Sure, whatever you say. I suppose that is why I clarified my post. But if you still have problems understanding me then I can discuss this with you in private. There is no sense wasting everyone's time by making posts that attempt to chastise each other for a lack of comprehension of our posts.

Return to Top
#606926 - 09/05/06 09:31 PM Re: Will the Left apologize to GWB and Rove now?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Actually, anyone can look back at the posts and see what I actualy said - that it was the CIA that requested the investigation and the AG's office that appointed the special prosecutor. Neither of these are "the left" which you said started the probe.

Actually, anyone can look back at my posts and see that I never said the left initiated the probe. The left created the kerfluffle which led to the probe. Deny it if you like; nobody else is buying it.

Quote:

Well, yes, the CIA had reason to think that and that why they asked for the investigation. Do you really think that the CIA didn't know what the status of their own employee was when they asked for the probe?

And, obviously, the CIA is not a political animal, and is never influenced by political motives. Case closed, I guess.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6